Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 AM   #4001
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Sorry if posted elsewhere.

Here's an article on a minority being assaulted in our own backyard (well garbage dump):

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.5640970

Eight Edmonton police assault a person shopping. Punching him in the face, putting a bag on his head and hogtieing him while he yells out that he can't breath. Oh yeah, and an officer wiped his boots on his face.

Worse, the person who was merely trying to record was clearly prevented by doing so by multiple officers. Then he was arrested and charged for obstruction.

So what did the original guy do? Must be pretty heinous to have eight officers rush him like that.

Nothing. Someone swapped plates with him. Shopping while (part) Black.
The Edmonton Police force is garbage.

Someone I know closely was assaulted by them when in handcuffs as a young 20 something. He was being rowdy and was just going to spend the night in the tank. They had him cuffed in the back of the police van, took him out in a back alley and slammed him to the ground and tasered him before putting him back.

Another guy I know got charged with assaulting the Police. $10k later and his lawyer pulled the club CC TV. He plead guilty to some misdemeanor despite the camera showing him not doing anything. He just wanted it to be over after it hanging over his head for a year.

Another guy I know who worked in security was subduing a suspect with a colleague. They had the perp under wraps but the guy was still struggling a bit. They were going to release him to the police. The officer ran up and superman punched the suspect in the face to "subdue" him despite him being quite under control according to the storyteller.

Pretty scummy stuff in my view. I hang with a crowd that generally doesn't have run ins with police. Makes you wonder how much more is happening that no one knows about.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 07-09-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:01 AM   #4002
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Scum bag? For trying to be professional giving privacy to assailant and arresting officers?
Deserves to be fired?
Lol I would love someone to follow you around at work with a recording device and see how long it would take to get you fired for incompetence.
The incompetent should be fired, especially if they are cops, if someone filming them shows them being incompetent dont you want them fired for Christ sake?
Old 07-09-2020, 05:39 AM   #4003
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Scum bag? For trying to be professional giving privacy to assailant and arresting officers?
Deserves to be fired?
Lol I would love someone to follow you around at work with a recording device and see how long it would take to get you fired for incompetence.
One of media's jobs is to shine a light on the state so it can't become malignant in the dark. That's why the US First Amendment protects the free press, and why there is very little protected privacy in public spaces in Canada. In the era of cellphone cameras, we can all fill that role. The right to document in public exists precisely to deter this sort of abuse, which makes it particularly egregious when police attempt to nullify that right. Preventing the collection of evidence is the true 'obstruction of justice'.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 06:49 AM   #4004
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Most places of employment have, at the very least, some measures for compliance.

Whether its cameras or firewalls or going all the way to software on employee's computers or even if its just time-clocks to make sure their employees are there.

The fact is...Police shouldnt be afraid of Body-Cams or being recorded...they should welcome it. It should be concrete validation for them.

The fact that it isnt...well that appears to be largely on them. And its telling.

But hell...the eyes of the entire world are on Police right now and they are acting like they couldnt care less.

Jackbooting into protests, pepper spraying and tear-gassing people seemingly with complete abandon. All while the world watches.

Thats the thing though and I think MBates said it well. We watch, but we dont demand action. They've been caught red-handed now, over and over and over and over and they just continue completely unabated and unfazed.

No actual, real consequences.

And it kills me to think this way. I've rarely had anything but respect for the Police but this type of behaviour cannot be allowed to continue and it appears all reasonable and moderate avenues have been exhausted and I have learned that perhaps a large part of my positive interactions have to do with the colour of my skin.

Boots have to be put to asses. Asses which are used to being those wearing those boots. Its going to be painful. Its going to be humiliating. I dont think anyone wants any of those things to be attributed to Police. I dont want to hurt them. I dont want to humiliate them. I want to respect them. Again. But its been lost and I feel as though we're being left with little other choice.

Whatever happened to 'To Protect and Serve?'

Instead of our Protectors and Friends that they were supposed to be, they've turned into the Bullies they were supposed to protect us from.

But we let them.
Great post! This situation is untenable right now. Something has to be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #4005
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I feel helpless. I feel marginalized. I feel hated.

What do I do? Being a good person for my entire life doesn't seem to matter. Getting an education and being the first person in my family to go to college doesn't matter. Working hard and keeping my head down doesn't seem to matter. Hell, I got ####ing stabbed protecting a white co-worker.

What do we have to do to be treated like human ####ing beings. What? Please tell us. because we would love to know.
Man, your posts are heartbreaking to read. I really wish I had the answer to your question, but I don't. But I sure wish I did. I'm a visible minority myself and while I've had a few discriminatory acts over my lifetime, those have thankfully been few and far in between. I'm 50% mix but look more white, so that's probably helped me.

I just hope that one day during your lifetime, you're able to see some positive change come from this.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #4006
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Man, your posts are heartbreaking to read. I really wish I had the answer to your question, but I don't. But I sure wish I did. I'm a visible minority myself and while I've had a few discriminatory acts over my lifetime, those have thankfully been few and far in between. I'm 50% mix but look more white, so that's probably helped me.

I just hope that one day during your lifetime, you're able to see some positive change come from this.
I appreciate that. I do think your assertion is correct, my sister who looks white doesn't have many issues at all.

Also, I know there is no answer, there is no logical explanation for hating someone based on their skin color. I just needed to say something, vent because it's starting to eat away at me. I think some change is possible, but the hate is so irrational that it's impossible to eradicate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #4007
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Again with the negative emotion in some of my recent posts, I want to put some positivity out there.

I want to thank those of you who have been defending the BLM movement and speaking out against police brutality, regardless of your race. I may not agree with everything all of you say, but I believe your hearts are in the right places.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #4008
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

San Francisco lawmaker Shamann Walton introduced the”caution against racially exploitive non-emergencies” act making it illegal to make fraudulent and racially motivated 911 calls.

If you didn’t see, the acronym is the CAREN act

Last edited by ernie; 07-09-2020 at 09:59 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #4009
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again with the negative emotion in some of my recent posts, I want to put some positivity out there.

I want to thank those of you who have been defending the BLM movement and speaking out against police brutality, regardless of your race. I may not agree with everything all of you say, but I believe your hearts are in the right places.
I can't realistically say I know exactly how you feel, but I understand that it must be aggravating at times. Even as a white person, it is incredibly frustrating and maddening to witness everything that goes on.

I think more and more white people are starting to realize that racism (systemic and overt) is basically the largest and most important front in what is essentially a class war. A class war that brutalizes minorities especially hard, can effect anyone, and will only get worse as inequities of the past continue to collect interest. Win the battle on that front, and you can win the war overall.

I am optimistic in the sense that it seems to me at least, people from different backgrounds are organizing more together than ever in the past.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 07-09-2020 at 11:24 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #4010
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

So, I told my wife your story (and Aceys), and how often that happens to you in Calgary/Lethbridge. She was as surprised as I was. We are fully aware of the problem, but as we don’t have any close black friends (for no particular reason), we just don’t hear that from people in our communities.

This is why the conversation is so important for so many people. Call it putting up blinders, privilege, or whatever you want, but as someone who has always been aware of the situation and supportive, I was still surprised. So thank you for sharing for stories.

It’s completely unacceptable, although I do feel like the tide is starting to shift this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 12:57 PM   #4011
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I have something I want to see what Acey and Crown think of and if its consistent with their lived experiences...

Growing up in the small town midwest as I did, there usually was a small amount of minorities in communities. You would often have that stereotypical 1 or 2 black families that allowed the community to think they had diversity and weren't racist.

However, the one thing about those minority families, is they had to lead a very 'white' life. They had to keep quiet, keep their head down, not cause trouble, stay in line with cultural norms, etc.

Then what you would see in towns that actually ended up with a large influx of minorities was pretty severe racism. I am familiar with a few towns that had meat processing plants that ended up bringing in large amounts of minorities as cheaper labor. Those communities would turn ugly when they had to deal with minorities actually having their own culture and way of life.

This is all anecdotal of course, but it just seems like we have a large portion of society that thinks they are cool with minorities because they know a few but those few have always had to tiptoe through life to stay off the radar.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:57 PM   #4012
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
I have something I want to see what Acey and Crown think of and if its consistent with their lived experiences...

Growing up in the small town midwest as I did, there usually was a small amount of minorities in communities. You would often have that stereotypical 1 or 2 black families that allowed the community to think they had diversity and weren't racist.

However, the one thing about those minority families, is they had to lead a very 'white' life. They had to keep quiet, keep their head down, not cause trouble, stay in line with cultural norms, etc.

Then what you would see in towns that actually ended up with a large influx of minorities was pretty severe racism. I am familiar with a few towns that had meat processing plants that ended up bringing in large amounts of minorities as cheaper labor. Those communities would turn ugly when they had to deal with minorities actually having their own culture and way of life.

This is all anecdotal of course, but it just seems like we have a large portion of society that thinks they are cool with minorities because they know a few but those few have always had to tiptoe through life to stay off the radar.
Hell yeah, sounds like Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada!
Old 07-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #4013
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I would say the "oreo" black person fits in much better, at least in Lethbridge. In high school (late 90s) I was one of just a few students that listened to hip-hop. It seemed to me that Asian and Hispanic people fit into the community much better than black and aboriginals, the latter being treated much worse than I ever have.

I don't know about the causing trouble and such, as my parents came to Canada from South Africa because they knew they'd probably be killed for their love (Dad is white, Mom is black), so they instilled in us pretty young to keep our heads down because there was a very serious distrust of any system. We did follow cultural norms, but that was mostly because my parents believed that Canada welcomed them and let them be together, so the least they could do was respect and observe Canadian traditions. I don't know anyone that loves Canada Day like moms and pops.

The only South African holiday we observe is National Heritage day, which honors King Shaka. When I was married my parents observed the tradition of Lobola, where the parents of the groom bestow gifts upon the family of the bride as a thank you for allowing her to join our family and to show she is valued. We also do our own form of amadlozi worship, which is where you go to Zululand 3 times a year and pay tribute to your ancestors. What we do is go to a cemetery and clean off headstones and leave flowers for graves that look like they're not visited. We also practice Ubuntu, which is basically just being a good person and believing that with being interconnected we can achieve more than we can alone.

I don't know if I actually answered anything, or just rambled lol. But, what you said sounds pretty accurate.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #4014
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

I would also love to hear from Acey and Crown, but speaking as an Asian, this is what Asian families live and die by, fitting in and being white, Especially those who came in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Mostly Vietnamese, Koreans and Hong Kongers. Most Canadian Born Asians, born during this period cannot speak their native tongue. Thus was the belief that Asian had to fit in by just speaking English, without an accent. They also mostly have English names to fit in even more, to not inconvenience whites. Asians are the 'model minority'.

Have you guys seen the Joy Luck Club? The Ming-Na Wen character (June) who cannot speak Mandarin but suddenly she goes back to China and she can?

Old 07-09-2020, 02:28 PM   #4015
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't know about the causing trouble and such, as my parents came to Canada from South Africa because they knew they'd probably be killed for their love (Dad is white, Mom is black), so they instilled in us pretty young to keep our heads down because there was a very serious distrust of any system. We did follow cultural norms, but that was mostly because my parents believed that Canada welcomed them and let them be together, so the least they could do was respect and observe Canadian traditions. I don't know anyone that loves Canada Day like moms and pops.
I remember Trevor Noah talking about how it was illegal to have an interracial child. It's just totally bonkers to think about how to rationalize something evil like that.

Somewhat related, I used to work with a white couple that emigrated to Canada from South Africa. They were taught through propaganda that even if you didn't believe in Apartheid morally, you had to support it for self-preservation. They said they were supposed to believe that if Apartheid fell, they would be murdered in their beds by angry black people. Not everyone believed that of course, but that was the angle that the government used.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #4016
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I remember Trevor Noah talking about how it was illegal to have an interracial child. It's just totally bonkers to think about how to rationalize something evil like that.

Somewhat related, I used to work with a white couple that emigrated to Canada from South Africa. They were taught through propaganda that even if you didn't believe in Apartheid morally, you had to support it for self-preservation. They said they were supposed to believe that if Apartheid fell, they would be murdered in their beds by angry black people. Not everyone believed that of course, but that was the angle that the government used.
The propaganda machine is so dangerous.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #4017
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

You need to read his book: Born A Crime. Equal parts fascinating and eye-opening. Some truly crazy stories from his youth, but he's so funny and engaging with his story telling. You can get a sense of him being an authentically great human being from his stories, especially when he talks about his mother. Great read. I think it's a must for anyone reading this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #4018
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You need to read his book: Born A Crime. Equal parts fascinating and eye-opening. Some truly crazy stories from his youth, but he's so funny and engaging with his story telling. You can get a sense of him being an authentically great human being from his stories, especially when he talks about his mother. Great read. I think it's a must for anyone reading this thread.
Yeah, I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like it would be interesting.

I recall in an interview talking about the book that for the first 6 years of his life, he thought there were indoor and outdoor children, and that he was an indoor one. This was due to him not being allowed to leave the house because if the police spotted him, he would be sent off to an orphanage and his parents arrested.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #4019
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Frankly...learning more about Apartheid and White Australia and various other State Sponsored forms of racism is something that we all should do, America Especially.

Thinking that Governments and their agencies arent inherently enforcing a systemically racist agenda or that its never happened before or anywhere else is sheer folly.

The miracle is that America has gotten away with it for this long seemingly unnoticed or at the very least very quietly.

The first step to solving a problem is recognizing that there is one and apparently it takes 'setting America on fire' for people to sit up and take notice.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #4020
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

My goodness, read up on Canada's history with Native Canadians and residential schools, if you really want to be disgusted. That history isn't that distant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread