Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #3001
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Minneapolis PD Suffocate Unarmed Black Man Who Later Dies in Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can see how ethnicity is useful in some forms, such as medical diagnosis. And skin tone can be useful as a descriptor, such as describing a suspect, or even if you are meeting someone. Brown hair, light skin, 5'10, that type of thing. But perhaps a universal skin tone system should be devised, where it is recorded on a non-biased scale, a fact like height or weight. This could assist in things like facial recognition where systems fail because they are trained on white faces. Oh, your a C7? Well we'll use the AI trained on C7 tones then.

There is the Fitzpatrick scale for skin tones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale

And the von Luschan as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Lu...hromatic_scale

I researched that when learning to do acid peels ( trichloroacetic acid) on my face lol.

I’m a Fitz II. It’s interesting. My friend Dean from Nigeria is pretty much a von Luschan 36. His wife is a Fitz II like me. I call them Othello and Desdemona. Their kids are gorgeous.

And yes, a lot of skin whitening products come out of Asia. Koreans are big on DIY skin whitening. A YouTubed I follow (NaturalKaos) gets lots of her products from Korea. They are obsessed with skin care, especially whitening.

Last edited by missdpuck; 06-16-2020 at 01:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to missdpuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #3002
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, I'm pretty good at coming up with ideas someone has already done. But maybe these should be applied universally? It would help separate descriptions from the race argument.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #3003
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree. It would be interesting to see how lighting/WB , etc would effect the AIs accuracy if they did apply a color scale.

I only know about the scale because I’m vain ;( . Otherwise probably wouldn’t.

Last edited by missdpuck; 06-16-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:21 PM   #3004
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Hal Johnson, co-host of the BodyBreak PSAs with his now-wife Joanne MacLeod, recently posted a video on YouTube where he said the series wasn't originally created to promote physical fitness but was instead a Trojan horse to address racism in Canada.

Hal had earlier applied for a job at TSN. The producers loved his on-air personality and even offered him a position, but they subsequently withdrew the offer because senior management said "we already have one black reporter" (as if there's a limit). When he pitched the BodyBreak idea to TSN a few years later, they were again very enthusiastic and receptive, but they said they couldn't air a segment featuring a black man and a white woman. They'd only pick up the series if Hal agreed to be replaced with a white man. Instead, Hal and Joanne took their idea to the federal government, who agreed to fund the series of PSAs without re-casting a white man in Hal's place. They subsequently produced dozens of segments which have been seen by millions of Canadians over the years.

That’s a great story but am I the only one who didn’t know he was black? He looks pretty racially ambiguous to me. Anyway I’m glad he was able to overcome discrimination to become a success.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 03:40 PM   #3005
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by missdpuck View Post
Not the important takeaway, but "Never burns" for dark skin they say. Good lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I mean, how is Meghan Markle "black"?
Is Obama black?
Old 06-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #3006
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I hate to say it but my dad is racist, especially against South Asian and Aboriginal people, and he openly admits it. I’ve dated women from both groups and never told him about it. I don’t know what his reaction would be. The relationships didn’t get to the point where they would be introduced anyway.

I’ve tried to confront his prejudices and I think he’s getting better. He loves Indian food (he requested it for Father’s Day) and I’ve never seen him be racist towards anyone to their face, but he’ll still use the “P” word to refer to them when they’re not around.

He also recently said, “I have no time for Natives”, which is a sentiment shared by way too many Canadians. It makes me sad.

My mom is much better and not hateful at all. When I was little I was playing with some other kids. While doing “Eeny, meeny, miny, moe” instead of saying “catch a tiger by the toe” I used the N word. I don’t know who I heard that from but my mom yelled at me and made me come inside on a beautiful summer day. She told me it was a bad word and I’ve never really used it since (ok, once but that was with a black friend and he was cool with it).

This was tough to write but I felt it needed to be said. In closing, #### racism.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #3007
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Not the important takeaway, but "Never burns" for dark skin they say. Good lord.

Is Obama black?
Colin Kaepernick?
Old 06-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #3008
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Colin Kaepernick?
J-Roc?
Old 06-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #3009
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something fun I used to like doing is showing people this picture and hearing them not believe that it is Obama's mother.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #3010
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Something fun I used to like doing is showing people this picture and hearing them not believe that it is Obama's mother.

I can see the resemblance. He has her chin and mouth and ears.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #3011
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is Obama black?

Yep. That is interesting.

I worked at the post office as a letter carrier and the majority of my coworkers were black.

Just about everybody used sunscreen. It was fun to see the difference in skin tones on the exposed vs unexposed areas. And yes there were all kinds of crazy jokes about not really being dark enough without the tan, etc. But the jokes were reserved for friends. We would say things to each other that were definitely not for public consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #3012
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just about everybody used sunscreen. It was fun to see the difference in skin tones on the exposed vs unexposed areas. And yes there were all kinds of crazy jokes about not really being dark enough without the tan, etc. But the jokes were reserved for friends. We would say things to each other that were definitely not for public consumption.
Yeah I'm not that dark, relatively... maybe 29/30 on whatever that scale is but darker than the Type 5 girl. I definitely tan but not like white people whose tan lines look like clothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #3013
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzpatrick_scale
I'm so very much Type 1. But I beg to differ on the tanning. If my freckles get close enough together, it looks like a shade of tan.

The joke in my house is that I can get sunburn off the light in the oven.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #3014
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How about his half-sister?

Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #3015
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I'm probably going to be fighting with this later on. My wife is Vietnamese and we have 2 young daughters, and the discussion about them dating in high school has already come up. She flat out said she doesn't want them dating black guys, which threw me back quite a bit when it first came up. She isn't super racist, has black friends, blah blah blah, but there is some deep cultural #### in Asian families about dating/marrying anyone with dark skin. It irritates the hell out of me and if/when it comes down to it I will side with my daughters 100% on who they want to see and will fight that battle for them, but that's not for another 15 years or so, so hopefully I can undo some of those deep set prejudices
Personal experience from me. I'm Chinese and my father, who is in his 70s has also voiced similar things throughout my childhood. My mother would never agree, but also never voiced her disagreement. Well, I'm grown up now and my last girlfriend is Haitian Canadian. I've dated girls before of African ancestry before but nothing as serious as the recent one which prompted me to tell my parents about the gf. To my surprise, when I informed my dad of my girlfriend's ancestry, he was happy for me. I told him what a relief it was and I was worried he'd be upset with me, which in turn made him sad. He said he just wants me to be happy with whoever that is and owned up to how he shouldn't have said those things. In the end, most parents just want their kids to be happy and your wife will hopefully feel the same way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #3016
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Man arrested after protester is shot during demonstration over conquistador statue in New Mexico

In a video of the rally, shots could be heard as protesters tried to remove a statue of conquistador Juan de Oñate.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...exico-n1231140

https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news...wl_3g.facebook

Quote:
He describes himself as "A Conservative-Libertarian millennial who is here to help cure the RC (Rulling-Class)."

Last edited by troutman; 06-16-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #3017
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...icles-n1231176

They're coming for the conservatives!

Better scrub the archives because Google will remove monetization from ad sites.

Even this thread has wrongthink.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1272974843894472711

Last edited by Cliche; 06-16-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #3018
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Minneapolis PD Suffocate Unarmed Black Man Who Later Dies in Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I'm so very much Type 1. But I beg to differ on the tanning. If my freckles get close enough together, it looks like a shade of tan.

The joke in my house is that I can get sunburn off the light in the oven.

Lol. I’m kind of a 1.5. Living in Florida has messed me up, but the skin on my stomach is stark white.Doing those TCA peels is really doing wonders to remove damage. I can’t believe it. But they’re not entirely painless.

I’ll bet your skin is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2020, 08:26 PM   #3019
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'm not that dark, relatively... maybe 29/30 on whatever that scale is but darker than the Type 5 girl. I definitely tan but not like white people whose tan lines look like clothing.
I have a similar skin tone to Shemar Moore, just wish I was as handsome.

I think it confuses people that I can be both biracial and still have both of my parents born in South Africa.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #3020
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

There are allot of shades of white on that chart, I could be 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, it's pretty hard to say. Once again us white people getting all the options.