Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #3021
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Firing Flores is a bad idea. He's a good coach. Classic terrible organization being terrible.
When you consider that he took over a very bad team only 3 years ago and had a 19-14 record that past two years it does seem a bit out of sorts. He did well to rally them to 5-11 that first year, and spiked to 10 wins last year. When teams spike their win total like that, they typically have a hard time getting back to that number the following year. Which is what happened here.

Does seem like he's being blamed by a GM who made some bad draft choices, or making those choices look worse than he thinks they are.

At worst there will be a lot of interest in Flores as a Defensive Coordinator. The Head Coach jobs that are all open right now do seem to be favoring an offensive guy who can work with a young QB.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:24 PM   #3022
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The internets say Flores both hated Tua and didn’t get along with the GM. Allegedly he was the driving force behind the Watson courtship so Miami can now likely be taken off the list of potential destination when(if) Watson’s legal situation is resolved.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #3023
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I think that's a cop out excuse by Staley. Why wasn't your best run personnel already on the field? It's obvious to everyone that they are going to run 3 times so long as the clock is running. Was the best run personnel on the field when they got 7 yards on 2nd and 11? And was that really the best run personnel that gave up 10 yards on 3rd and 4?
So why didn't he call timeout 35 seconds earlier?

It was the biggest play of the season for LA. Not surprised he called timeout.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #3024
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ding-explained

Barnwell as usually with the most well written and thought out article on all the angles of last nights ending
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 01:51 PM   #3025
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The raiders were "going for the win" meaning they were going to kick a FG no matter what...they weren't going to take a knee

That being said, looking at their formation they were going to run a lower risk run play before the TO. Nobody will ever know but I have watched every Raider down this season...to me its a run right up the gut, likely gets stopped after a yard or two. After the TO they give it to Jacobs in the backfield which is a more aggressive run play.

Yes they were obviously going to run the ball again, not all runs are created equal though. They gave the Raiders a chance to stop and think about it after the TO they were like "well these guys are't playing for a tie either so lets facking go"...Changers wanted their best run D on the field? 1) why the #### didn't they already have it out there 2) they got owned on the next play which was a run so it didn't work.

It likely didn't cost them the game but was still a poor decision...IMO without the timeout the Raiders are kicking a longer FG with more time on the clock because with a stop the Chargers can use a TO on 4th down which would have made sense.

Carlson likely hits from distance anyway but we will never know
Old 01-10-2022, 02:01 PM   #3026
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As mentioned several times the timeout had nothing to do with "The Chargers weren't playing for the tie", they would have called a timeout immediately after the second down play if that was the case. It was about getting the right personnel out there, hence the timeout with under four seconds on the play clock. That the Raiders still got a good run out of it is totally irrelevant, teams often call timeouts to try and match up, and often still get beat after they do. Trying to turn this into some "he blew their playoff chances with the dumbest timeout ever" is peak MMQB'ing. Beyond just that game they are out of the playoffs because they got stomped by the Texans. There are lots of things that led to the Chargers missing the playoffs. The timeout is, at most, 1/1000th of 1% of the reason why. It's a nothing issue.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #3027
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone still trying to argue that timeout was a turning point are so locked into their initial reaction that they have stopped thinking critically.

The timeout saved about 2 seconds of game play. No one got an extra play.

The Raiders were going to try a running play before the timeout was called and they tried a running play afterwards.

The Chargers wee unable to stop them.

Time to let The Timeout die.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #3028
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Patek23; 01-10-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #3029
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Anyone still trying to argue that timeout was a turning point are so locked into their initial reaction that they have stopped thinking critically.

The timeout saved about 2 seconds of game play. No one got an extra play.

The Raiders were going to try a running play before the timeout was called and they tried a running play afterwards.

The Chargers wee unable to stop them.

Time to let The Timeout die.
Not sure why some people are so fixated on it. It didn't really matter at the end of the day as we will never know what the Raiders get for yards on their 3rd down play without the time out.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #3030
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not sure why some people are so fixated on it. It didn't really matter at the end of the day as we will never know what the Raiders get for yards on their 3rd down play without the time out.
A fumble that SD returns for a TD. Guaranteed
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:37 PM   #3031
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of it is Staley has essentially become the face of analytics and so whenever the traditionalists can cast his "analytics moves" as catastrophic in nature (i.e. the timeout cost them the playoffs), they will do that. Nevermind, of course, the timeout wasn't even slightly an analytics decision. If it were Belichick making the timeout I doubt he gets dunked on even slightly.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #3032
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

as a chargers fan, its early but i hope Herbert isn't resigned to the same fate as Rivers and Fouts. Its bad enough to lose the SB but they didn't even make the big game. Never seems like the Chargers can ever put together a great D. When it was 3rd down and 23, i turned to my son and said they will give up the first down, its so predictable.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #3033
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think a lot of it is Staley has essentially become the face of analytics and so whenever the traditionalists can cast his "analytics moves" as catastrophic in nature (i.e. the timeout cost them the playoffs), they will do that. Nevermind, of course, the timeout wasn't even slightly an analytics decision. If it were Belichick making the timeout I doubt he gets dunked on even slightly.
Staley going for it on 4th down at their own 20 was a far worse move.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #3034
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Staley going for it on 4th down at their own 20 was a far worse move.
The issue wasn't the decision per se as much as it was the playcall. Watch the replay, had they called a PA over the middle they might have gotten a 50+ yard gain, the Raiders totally sold out for an inside run. The irony of course is that the only fourth down they didn't convert is the one where they took the ball out of Herbert's hands. Even a bootleg gets him to the perimeter and probably opens up enough to run for a first. Whether you think the decision to go was smart or stupid, the playcall was truly the problem there.

But in the end that decision didn't matter, they held the Raiders to a 50 second drive after that. I think Syl mentioned it, but let's say they punt instead and the Raiders then go on a six minute drive and kick a FG. Now the score is the same in both instances, but in punting you lose five more minutes off the game. They obviously needed every second to get to OT.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:50 PM   #3035
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still have to marvel at Herbert, converting 6 fof 6 fourth downs when anyone of them failing meant lights out. Their recievers too, making some tough catches in there.
And how the Chargers didn't fall on the fumble on the sack of Carr late.
That 3 and 6 Williams almost made a great play to bat it up and come back to it; why not go to him, he was catching everything else.

For all that, they stop that run and don't give up the 7 yards, and Raiders would be in a real tough spot to try a long kick (risk of a block and loss) or let it run out.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 08:00 PM   #3036
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Seattle Seahawks backup quarterback Geno Smith was arrested on suspicion of DUI early Monday morning, according to King County court records.

Smith was arrested at 2:10 a.m. by the Washington State Patrol and released from a King County correctional facility on his personal recognizance -- meaning in lieu of posting bail -- at 9:27 a.m., records show. No other information was immediately available.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-suspicion-dui
Old 01-10-2022, 11:37 PM   #3037
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a game!!

Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:18 PM   #3038
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
What a game!!

If there is one game this past season where Fans got full value, I think you picked the right one to go to. Couldn't imagine what that game was like to be at in person.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:51 PM   #3039
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Firing Flores is a bad idea. He's a good coach. Classic terrible organization being terrible.
Maybe don't get in a pissing match with the owner and the star quarterback.

He will get an opportunity somewhere else and maybe he will make better decisions.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #3040
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Star quarterback" lol. Tua hasn't even proven he's replacement level yet, let alone a star. Drafting Tua over Herbert at present appears to be a franchise altering mistake, but we'll see if Tua becomes something more than what he currently appears to be.