Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2023, 01:57 PM   #2101
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it really matters what Disney does going forward. Star Wars fans are the worst of the worst and will always find something to piss and moan about regarding any new film or TV series, usually because what ends up on screen doesn't always match up with the story they had built up in their heads. It's a no win scenario for any filmmaker.

All they can really do is just make the movie they want to make and try not to worry too much about potential fan backlash, because it's gonna happen anyway.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 02:01 PM   #2102
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Actually thought Daisy Ridley was really good in The Force Awakens.

She was good throughout the whole trilogy IMO.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 02:18 PM   #2103
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, I'm not going to comment on Daisy Ridley, her particular accent I personally found very grating, thats on me, but overall?

'Rey' was not great. I dont know how much, if anything, that had to do with Daisy Ridley.

I guess my main issue there is that I found all of the characters in that Trilogy to be weak, thin, stupid, useless and ridiculously plentiful despite having nothing to do.

And I dont lay that blame on the actors.

I actually feel bad for Daisy Ridley. She must have felt like she was offered this absolutely amazing opportunity and then she must have gotten the first script and her heart just sank...and then the next one....and then the next one....

I cant imagine what that feeling must be like but I do imagine that the next time Elon Musk sends a car into space he should strap JJ Abrams into it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:57 PM   #2104
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

happy easter....

boba-egg by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 04-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #2105
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Definitely pumped for Ahsoka.

Also pumped to see what Mangold can do.

Also also pumped for Filoni to finally get his hands on a live action movie, with all of his favourite characters.

Not sure what to expect from the Rey movie, but I will say I thought she was the best part of the sequels. So I will remain optimistic.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:05 PM   #2106
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
She was good throughout the whole trilogy IMO.
The final two movies were so bad I can't even remember the titles. The second one had some incredibly visuals but was such a mess, the third was so bad I slept in the theatre for a chunk of it. So while I'm sure she as good, because I thought she was great in the first, I can't remember anything specific.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2023, 08:50 PM   #2107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
The final two movies were so bad I can't even remember the titles. The second one had some incredibly visuals but was such a mess, the third was so bad I slept in the theatre for a chunk of it. So while I'm sure she as good, because I thought she was great in the first, I can't remember anything specific.
This is so true I cant even stand it. Its amazing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-09-2023, 09:47 PM   #2108
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
happy easter....

boba-egg by bc-chris, on Flickr
This is the way!
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverKast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2023, 11:26 PM   #2109
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what they with Rey moving forward will dictate how the Sequel trilogy will stand the test of time.

The Prequels were reviled from their release day until a certain point and the tables started to turn to the point where they're cherished by a new generation. Hayden Christiansen had to disappear for years until a few years ago and now after seeing him on stage today, it's nice to see the fans appreciate him so much so he cried.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #2110
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #2111
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think what they with Rey moving forward will dictate how the Sequel trilogy will stand the test of time.

The Prequels were reviled from their release day until a certain point and the tables started to turn to the point where they're cherished by a new generation. Hayden Christiansen had to disappear for years until a few years ago and now after seeing him on stage today, it's nice to see the fans appreciate him so much so he cried.

No mater what, the Sequel trilogy will be garbage for a bunch of reasons, but the biggest one being that it invalidates all the Saga movies 1-6.

Darth Vader didn't redeem himself and kill the Emperor. The Emperor survived.

Luke Skywalker didn't defeat the Empire and become the hero. The Empire just changed their name to First Order and Luke became a hermit.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:08 AM   #2112
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyway, I'm hugely looking forward to Asohka. Can't wait to see Captain Syndulla be badass all over again.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 10:57 AM   #2113
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

As with any recent Star Wars movie announcement, I'll get excited when something actually starts filming.

Off the top of my head we've had:

-Rian Johnson creating a new trilogy (3 movies) -- not currently in active development

-David Benioff and DB Weiss signed to write and direct a new Star Wars trilogy (3 movies) - both bailed on it and nothing said since, evidently cancelled

-Kevin Feige Star Wars movie (1 movie) -- announced but apparently never even started any stage of development

-Taika Waititi Star Wars movie (1 movie) - announced and apparently still being worked on, but with these new announcements I would expect it to be quietly canned

-Star Wars: Rogue Squadron from Patty Jenkins (1 movie) -- looks like definitely not happening.

-Shawn Levy directed Star Wars (1 movie) - talked about and confirmed by the director himself, but he's not involved in any of these announcements so probably not happening?

So these exciting new announcements are the 11th, 12th, and 13th Star Wars movies confirmed to be in development with names attached. So let's not get excited until something is actually filming.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2023, 02:10 PM   #2114
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
No mater what, the Sequel trilogy will be garbage for a bunch of reasons, but the biggest one being that it invalidates all the Saga movies 1-6.

Darth Vader didn't redeem himself and kill the Emperor. The Emperor survived.

Luke Skywalker didn't defeat the Empire and become the hero. The Empire just changed their name to First Order and Luke became a hermit.
They've been replaying the ST this morning and I had it playing in the background while I worked.

On the plus side, the three films from a filming perspective are at time gorgeous and the effects are good except for the Final Order Star Destroyers who were just stretched Star Destroyers and looked like it.

The sound track and music was excellent.

But it kind of ends there for me. The characters just devolve through the three movies, with Fin's being the worst. Going from a interesting character who's someone who's really there to either quip or yell Whoo.

Poe, I guess had an arc

Poor Rey, in the first two movies she busted her arse with Rey, it felt like she had lost interest in the last movie.

And it wasn't a great story, it was three disconnected films.

The PT obviously had lots of problems, most thanks to George himself with his faster more intense directing strategy as well as his bad dialogue. But the story itself while at times suffering from poor execution, was a great story, mainly thanks to Palpatine.

What really made the PT's loved was the addition of the Clone Wars series that really rounded things out and did a lot of character correction.

It feels like Disney isn't all that interested in doing the same thing with the ST, they're not going to try to really redeem the material. They tried with Resistance but that show was just terrible.

But with the new series, like Mando they might nibble on the edges of the ST lore but they're not going to dive into it.

Acolyte takes party in the high republic era. Ashoka might take place after the fall of the Empire, but likely won't head into ST territory.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:48 PM   #2115
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poe is the only ST character I genuinely liked.

Maybe because he was literally the only one possessing an ounce of charisma in the entire thing.

Every other actor was visibly suffering through crippling cognitive dissonance executing that script.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:15 PM   #2116
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I believe star wars projects are real once they start filming, and even then they still change drastically prior to release.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #2117
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was announced that next season's Bad Batch will be the last season.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 05:30 PM   #2118
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense. You've got to end it at some point.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:34 AM   #2119
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way forward for Star Wars was a time jump and a clean slate. Doubling down on Rey and the sequel trilogy is a mistake.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 12:45 PM   #2120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The way forward for Star Wars was a time jump and a clean slate. Doubling down on Rey and the sequel trilogy is a mistake.
I actually quite agree.

But the fact of the matter remains that it did suck and whats worse...none of the characters were compelling.