Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #3301
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm through part 5 of Snyder's Justice League and it ain't half bad. I definitely think this cut answers a lot of questions that the Whedon cut didn't. It better answer more questions at 4 hours in length. So far, I don't hate this movie. I may even like it a little.

If I was grading it on the first 5 parts, I'd probably give it a C. Of course if Eisenberg/Luthor shows up again I'll have to change it to a F. That is the worst casting decision since somebody thought Amy Adams would make a great Lois Lane.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 12:55 PM   #3302
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You'll find the opinions on this site are especially polarized. Pretty much the entire internet is calling the Snyder Cut great, outside of this site. I have yet to see a bad Youtube review from a major Youtuber in the genre. The fact you have people, who pledge themselves as comic book fans, stating that they don't have the time or won't watch DC movies is pretty absurd.

Personally, I think it's a little offside how much people on here bash the DC movies, often before having actually seen them. These are the same people who cried about taking away from their movie experience when posters wouldn't state Infinity War was the best comic book movie ever made (which it wasn't).

I don't always get your enthusiasm, but I don't think you're trolling. At least no more than the Marvel fanboys, who can't admit that many Marvel movies are mediocre.
I haven't watched it yet, but I suspect this review will not be kind:

Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #3303
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nadal’s not saying BvS or JL is “better” than anything else. Just that they enjoy them. That’s cool. Not everything has to be an analytical breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't always get your enthusiasm, but I don't think you're trolling. At least no more than the Marvel fanboys, who can't admit that many Marvel movies are mediocre.
I don’t think you’ll find many “Marvel Fans” saying there aren’t mediocre or even close to bad offerings, just that even their worst is better than almost all of DC, which I personally think is true.

I find the idea of Marvel or DC fans to be odd. I’m a fan of entertaining movies. I like the story that Marvel told over its Infinity Arc a lot. It was an ambitious unprecedented project and, imo, they pulled it off beautifully. It remains to be seen if the next phase will carry weight. I wouldn’t call myself a “fan” of marvel the same way I’m a “fan” of the Flames. If they start making bad movies I’ll stop watching. I was pretty meh on WandaVision, but the previous decade of material has earned some rope.

I also think people that have actually read the comics have a pretty adverse reaction to DC movies for reasons stated many times by me and others. Marvel trusted their source material and DC didn’t and it really hurt them.

Last edited by Coach; 03-22-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #3304
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

At this point in time I think Snyder is just trolling us.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #3305
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Nadal’s not saying BvS or JL is “better” than anything else. Just that they enjoy them. That’s cool. Not everything has to be an analytical breakdown.
Didn’t he say he might like them more than the Nolan Batman films?

That isn’t possible.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:33 PM   #3306
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Didn’t he say he might like them more than the Nolan Batman films?

That isn’t possible.
Yeah I don’t get it. I do think they take a little fun in poking the bear here. But whatever people like what they like. Billions of people read an entire SERIES of crappy books about teen vampires. People like different things.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:36 PM   #3307
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I just finished the Snyder Cut.

Man of Steel, Batman V Superman (Ultimate Edition), Snyder’s Justice League. Love ‘em. Absolutely loved the Snyder Cut.

I can’t believe how bad Joss Whedon’s cut is in comparison. Good grief Whedon is a hack.
Where can I stream the Ultimate Edition of BvS?
Old 03-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #3308
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we watched that 4 hr mess on the weekend of Justice League.

I am sure it would only have been 2 1/2 hrs if there was half as much slow motion.

Such a bad movie

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #3309
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, could have done without the 5 minute scene of the seed falling off of the sandwich. Or the what felt like forever scenes of Aquaman stripping off his shirt and showing off his glistening abs.

Even the wonder woman thing where fast motion became slow motion kind of got old.

From a techniques point of view and the what I thought was un polished CGI it was poor. I thought the story line editions were good. I don't think it was a world changer, but it was a nice attempt at setting things right film wise.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:56 PM   #3310
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the first 40 minutes of the Redlettermedia review, above. Will finish it later.

I haven't watched the Whedon version in a couple of years, and this reminded me of just how bad it was. My final rating for Snyder Cut : decent. Compared to the Whedon Cut : Essential viewing for comic book fans.

There are absolutely things I didn't like in the Snyder Cut. There are a couple of things I hated. Compared to the theatrical cut of the film this must be a huge embarrassment for WB and their movie making acumen, putting out the Whedon mess. Synder's is actually a good cohesive (mostly) movie, just a little uneven (long segments of poor writing, an hour of slow motion).

Snyder can now leave the DCU behind, with this as his best effort. (Kind of hoping he goes out on a high note.)
Old 03-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #3311
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Not totally through it yet but I'm somewhat enjoying it. I mean part of it just screams "LOOK AT HOW DRAMATIC AND ARTISTIC I AM!!!", but there's some story and characters in there.

My hot take would be (so far) Cyborg sucks. Sorry I think he's just bad.

EDIT: Finished it, I guess the fact that I kinda want to see the rest of the trilogy that could have been means I overall liked it.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #3312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked that they gave Cyborg more time to tell his story, that was needed, but he's kinda unlikable.

They couldn't edit the annoying out of Barry though.

I like that they edited the mustache off of Superman, they should have edited it onto Wonder Woman by mistake.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #3313
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I haven't watched it yet, but I suspect this review will not be kind:

It's really not a bad review. They all say they overall liked it. One guy didn't like the ending. One guy did like the ending. One guy said the ending was mediocre.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #3314
photon

Exp:

Yeah I like with that did with Cyborg in the movie. I don't think he did a great job of Cyborg, though the last part of the movie my opinion improved a bit.

It's really quite stunning how different the movies are.

EDIT: Yeah I agree with the review for the most part. I doesn't feel like it'd be that difficult to get that down to 3 hours either.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:45 PM   #3315
photon

Exp:

And apparently the Joker scenes are different for the black and white version?!

*sigh*
Old 03-22-2021, 09:49 PM   #3316
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
At this point in time I think Snyder is just trolling us.

I don't think he's that great of a filmaker, I think he's a formula guy. I mean Bay has his explosions Snyder has his slow motion, Abrams has his light effects.

As I near the end it was really hit and miss for me, it wasn't what I call a consistently great movie, it was more flashes of what could be something good in there. Is it that super hero movie that I would watch again, unlikely. Is it an improvement on the original, absolutely I concede that easily.

I'd like to see Puppet guy get a 400 million dollar budget to do Justice (puppet) League, Rise of the argyle sock.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #3317
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
And apparently the Joker scenes are different for the black and white version?!

*sigh*

I just wish they would have edited this version of the joker completely away. When you compare it to the other jokers, its almost a mockery.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:54 PM   #3318
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's no way that I'm going to commit something like 4 hours to sit down and watch this thing. I'll wait for the reviews and maybe break it up into 1 hour viewing blocks.

If they kill Flash in the first hour, then I'm good, god he was awful. Have him get distracted and run into a brick wall, that would be the greatest death ever.

It's an OK 2.5 hour movie, the rest of the time is Snyder masterbating.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #3319
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the Nolan trilogy and TDK and TDKR (yes I really like that one) are my two favorite DC films of all time. In terms of story telling , score, and characters it's hard to beat the Nolan trilogy. They are also very grounded films, which makes it impossible to include Superman. They stand the test of time and I watch them once a year. I will never say a bad thing about them.

With the Snyder trilogy I find it so rewatchable. I love the action scenes, the sense of scope and how epic it is, and that in includes several characters in DC history ( Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, ect). I can throw them on and escape to a more fantastical world. To me both enjoyable equally but different film watching experiences.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #3320
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loved the first Keaton Batman, I will still argue that its deserving of a ton of respect. I was one of those guys that was like Keaton as Batman count me out. But he was amazing in that role. The second one wasn't as good, but still very passible. I liked the first Dark Knight movie, the second one I'd easily categorize as an iconic and nearly perfect superhero movie. I thought the third one was pretty weak. But it was unfair to even make it after Ledger's death.

I did like the first Wonder Woman and I did enjoy MOS for the most part. But BVS was awful and the Whedon Justice league terrible, I was meh on Suicide Squad and Birds of Pray, and the second WW movie felt almost like a franchise killer.