Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #3261
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sold. Trade for Murray if the Pens have to protect Fleury and can't trade him without consent, etc.

The Stars pick if it transfers (27th, 28th, 29th or 30th overall) and McDonald.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #3262
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post

Actually it wasn't Wilson that said it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #3263
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Actually it wasn't Wilson that said it

Thanks, Memory is a bit rusty. Could have sworn Wilson also said this to Tim a lot. But Al makes the most sense after you posted that.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #3264
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Sorry don't get the Tim reference. Murray is an elite prospect and although he has less NHL experience than Schneider had, I suspect his value will be comparable.

If the Flames end up with the 8th pick in the draft I would not blow my brains out if they flipped it for Murray. Am I over rating him?
You're grossly over rating him. Beware guys that are 6'4 and under 180 pounds. Form fitting goaltending equipment could hurt this kid. There are hockey sticks with better physiques. The goon in hockey disappeared quickly, and the shot blocker goaltender could go the same way. I'm skeptical of these bean poles. I'd assume some risk, but not a first round pick, not when there are teams that will be I similar straights to move goaltenders.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-29-2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #3265
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are not enough buyers and the teams HAVE to trade these goalies. They will take a 3rd for MAF and be thrilled.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #3266
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO if the draft lottery goes by the odds and the Flames end up with the 7th pick they should shop it to the Penguins for Murray. By 7 the Flames are likely in the 3rd tier forwards and none of the defensemen in this draft look like they are can't miss and the organization is full of middle/bottom tier defensemen as-is.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #3267
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
There are not enough buyers and the teams HAVE to trade these goalies. They will take a 3rd for MAF and be thrilled.
A Wideman for Fleury swap makes sense if both waive the NMC. I could see both agreeing to do so. Fleury gets a starters job with an up and coming team. Wideman gets a shot to put up big numbers playing with the offensive forwards on Pitt. Daley has looked good in Pitt perhaps Wideman would also do well

Fleury could also just refuse to waive and force the Pens to trade Murray
Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #3268
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
IMO if the draft lottery goes by the odds and the Flames end up with the 7th pick they should shop it to the Penguins for Murray. By 7 the Flames are likely in the 3rd tier forwards and none of the defensemen in this draft look like they are can't miss and the organization is full of middle/bottom tier defensemen as-is.
Sorry, EE - I think you are nuts on this one.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #3269
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally i would be okay with this of we didn't have Gillies. Since we do have Gillies I would rather not trade what would be our top prospect for a young goalie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #3270
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, EE - I think you are nuts on this one.
Nope. Murray is only 21 years old (younger than Gillies and already playing in the NHL). The Flames could be looking at a guy that could be the franchise netminder for over a decade. That's easily worth Chychrun, Juolevi, McLeod, etc as these guys don't scream "game changer" to me and a starting goaltender that's a consistent .920 SV% does. It's not like he hasn't shown in the NHL that his godly AHL numbers won't translate to his NHL career.

Conversely the Flames could trade for MAF or sign Reimer and continue on the road since Kipper retired forever looking/hoping for that elusive starting goaltender.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-29-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #3271
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Personally i would be okay with this of we didn't have Gillies. Since we do have Gillies I would rather not trade what would be our top prospect for a young goalie.
Gillies injury set him back too far to be considered as a fall back option in the immediate future. If he comes back healthy he's starting his AHL career next season and who knows how smooth that goes or how long that takes before he's NHL ready? Besides worst case is the Flames have two really good goaltenders which is a good problem to have.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #3272
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I don't care if Radulov is a sweet cherry pie. I want him on the Flames.
you want a player that was more worried about partying than being ready to play in the playoffs? Thank Christ you are not Treliving
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #3273
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You're grossly over rating him. Beware guys that are 6'4 and under 180 pounds. Form fitting goaltending equipment could hurt this kid. There are hockey sticks with better physiques. The goon in hockey disappeared quickly, and the shot blocker goaltender could go the same way. I'm skeptical of these bean poles. I'd assume some risk, but not a first round pick, not when there are teams that will be I similar straights to move goaltenders.
Hmmm... Your hyperbole kind of reduces the strength of your argument. I'm in no way convinced we are headed to a major change in goalie equipment but ok.

Thanks to those that explained the Home Improvememt reference. I didn't watch it much but my Dad liked it. After having the reference explained, I remember my Dad saying I don't think so Tim as a joke. So thanks for the nice memory jog.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #3274
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are paying a "sure thing" price for a guy that has nothing but potential at this point. Schneider was a sure thing. This kid isn't. And you also have to factor in the market - there are 3 buyers or so and 20 goalies looking for a starting gig. Why would you pay that much when you have so many choices?

PS This is to EE.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #3275
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
you want a player that was more worried about partying than being ready to play in the playoffs? Thank Christ you are not Treliving
He's been a top scorer everywhere he's played. I don't care about his past.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #3276
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are paying a "sure thing" price for a guy that has nothing but potential at this point. Schneider was a sure thing. This kid isn't. And you also have to factor in the market - there are 3 buyers or so and 20 goalies looking for a starting gig. Why would you pay that much when you have so many choices?

PS This is to EE.
Can you say the players available at 7 would be more of a sure thing? I would argue the odds are far in Murray's favor of being more of a sure thing as he's playing right now in the NHL playoffs and just won his first playoff series. Any player the Flames draft could be Monahan but the odds more likely point to Baertschi, Poirier, or Klimchuk in guys that take time to develop and may never pan out.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #3277
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you say the players available at 7 would be more of a sure thing? I would argue the odds are far in Murray's favor of being more of a sure thing as he's playing right now in the NHL playoffs and just won his first playoff series. Any player the Flames draft could be Monahan but the odds more likely point to Baertschi, Poirier, or Klimchuk in guys that take time to develop and may never pan out.
Well, I guess I can say the following:

1) I am comfortable that there are several goalies available who would be a significant improvement on Hiller/Ramo
2) I am comfortable that there are several available who are top 10-12 in the league
3) I am not comfortable that Murray is a sure thing - he may or may not be
4) There are many good goalies available who would be at least "NHL average"
5) Whether 6th overall is more of a sure thing than Murray is immaterial in the sense that a 6th overall is worth a lot more - it's a huge overpayment regardless of whether it turns out for the best or not.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #3278
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
A Wideman for Fleury swap makes sense if both waive the NMC. I could see both agreeing to do so. Fleury gets a starters job with an up and coming team. Wideman gets a shot to put up big numbers playing with the offensive forwards on Pitt. Daley has looked good in Pitt perhaps Wideman would also do well

Fleury could also just refuse to waive and force the Pens to trade Murray
Why wouldn't they just protect Murray and leave Fleury to the expansion draft
Old 04-29-2016, 02:18 PM   #3279
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
That was 4 years ago, and he was 25.

Anyways, if he's still a dummy like that then leave it be, but it's worth investigating if you're the GM of an NHL team. I'm sure BT won't leave that stone unturned.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #3280
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Why wouldn't they just protect Murray and leave Fleury to the expansion draft

Rumor has it NMC's will need to be protected in the expansion draft meaning that Fleury is automatically on their protected list
Closed Thread