Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #3001
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
This sentiment is out there but if you saw last nights game you wouldn't change your opinion

His lateral movement was crisp and quick. He stopped 3 breakaways.

Friedman said this morning that he and everyone thought Bishop would be the odd man out but if he continues to play like this then Yzerman might just keep him. Proven thing over what might be.
And potentially higher return for Vasilevsky too.
Something in the area of what the Canucks got for Schneider (relatively high 1st)? Maybe less given erosion of value due to expansion draft.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:13 PM   #3002
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
This sentiment is out there but if you saw last nights game you wouldn't change your opinion

His lateral movement was crisp and quick. He stopped 3 breakaways.

Friedman said this morning that he and everyone thought Bishop would be the odd man out but if he continues to play like this then Yzerman might just keep him. Proven thing over what might be.
I think that is probably right as well. His name was out there mostly due to cap issues, but perhaps they think they will be better with off with Bishop/losing Stamkos, than the other way around. Maybe they try and get value out of Vasilevsky instead. Similar with Elliot/Allen. Two months ago I would have guessed Elliot might be the odd man out. Not so sure now. Similarly, would Pittsburgh cut bait with Fleury and rely on Murray? Risky, but potentially could be the move, considered the cap situation. All very interesting and all lead to my belief the Flames can acquire a quality starter for less than one might think.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #3003
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
And potentially higher return for Vasilevsky too.
Something in the area of what the Canucks got for Schneider (relatively high 1st)? Maybe less given erosion of value due to expansion draft.
I can't say I have seen much of Vasilevsky, but his numbers aren't as good as Bishop's. Is he a sure thing starter, given the opportunity? That was Schneider, in a nut shell.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #3004
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe BT can put a package together for a Drouin/Vasilevskiy combo.

If the Flames don't win the 1st or 2nd overall draft lottos and end up with 3/5/6/7 plus end up with Dallas 1st, I think I would be fine if he packaged them up with a prospect/player or two to get both of those guys.

I know everybody loves picks at the draft, especially 1st rounders, and even more especially high 1st rounders, but both Drouin and Vasi are 21 years old and fit right in with what's going in CGY IMO. Would be in the same vein as the Hamilton deal last draft.

It's not without risks for sure, as Vasi is not a prven NHL starter at this point, and Drouin still has a lot to work on as far as his 200 ft game goes, but they'd be great young adds with high potential of becoming long term core pieces.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #3005
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goaltending should be able to be addressed through free agency. Do not give away assets if you don't have to, especially for an unproven goaltender or a guy that could be severely impacted by the changes in equipment standards. I would think the Drouin boat has sailed. The Bolts will want an asset ready to play right now, so say good bye to Bennett if you want Drouin. I also believe that you be very careful in dealing away 1st round picks as they are the life blood of your system, especially in the salary cap era. You need a steady stream of low cost players that can support or replace your stars as they become too expensive or ineffective. We don't want to get back into the troubles that Sutter left behind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #3006
JJ1532
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Goaltending should be able to be addressed through free agency. Do not give away assets if you don't have to, especially for an unproven goaltender or a guy that could be severely impacted by the changes in equipment standards. I would think the Drouin boat has sailed. The Bolts will want an asset ready to play right now, so say good bye to Bennett if you want Drouin. I also believe that you be very careful in dealing away 1st round picks as they are the life blood of your system, especially in the salary cap era. You need a steady stream of low cost players that can support or replace your stars as they become too expensive or ineffective. We don't want to get back into the troubles that Sutter left behind.
Curious to know who you'd go after in free agency that would solve our goaltending issues?
Old 04-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #3007
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This makes sense if you can pick up a UFA goalie that is equivalent. I personally am not sold on Reimer and would rather have Bishop, but of course it depends on the acquisition cost. Also agree that the Drouin ship has likely sailed.

The one part of the post I disagree with, is the notion that the change of goalie equivalent is somehow more likely to negatively affect Bishop than another guy, UFA or otherwise. He is a big guy and will still be able to wear big pads. To me the rule changes will affect the little/skinny guy that wears bigger pads. Either way, I think it is pure conjecture as to which goalies it would affect more.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #3008
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I think the Ryan Strome speculation has been sparked again. Healthy scratched for Steve Bernier.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #3009
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know there was any prior Ryan Strome speculation.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #3010
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I didn't know there was any prior Ryan Strome speculation.
There was some (mostly fan based thought) when the Islanders demoted to him the AHL after a slow start, even after scoring 50 pts the previous season.

It could be getting to the point where the Islanders might decide to move him for a more consistent player.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 06:32 PM   #3011
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think it depends on how far Andersen takes the Dicks in the playoffs.

Don't know if this was a typo or not...(Either way, I LOLed.)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #3012
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

@adater Joe Sakic offers a polite "no comment" when I asked him if Radulov might be coming to Avalanche.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 PM   #3013
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
@adater Joe Sakic offers a polite "no comment" when I asked him if Radulov might be coming to Avalanche.
If its true, then he comes back to the NHL once every 4 year cycle
Old 04-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #3014
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1532 View Post
Curious to know who you'd go after in free agency that would solve our goaltending issues?
I'd be open to a Reimer/Raanta tandem. There are other guys in free agency that are of interest as well, but I would got with this tandem. If it doesn't work, then make a trade early, but I honestly don't see a anyone in the trade market that would make a difference and not carve a huge hole in the Flames team/system.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:28 PM   #3015
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
There was some (mostly fan based thought) when the Islanders demoted to him the AHL after a slow start, even after scoring 50 pts the previous season.

It could be getting to the point where the Islanders might decide to move him for a more consistent player.
The Islanders have a history of jerking around players in their last year of the ELC, Bailey, Okposo, Hamonic and now Strome.

Hell of a way to lower new contract expectations.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #3016
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love if he flames could land strome and hamonic. I don't think either are big stars but I think both could be huge depth players that would really help the flames long term.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #3017
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
Don't know if this was a typo or not...(Either way, I LOLed.)
Oops, that was a typo, was sent from my phone. It does fit though doesn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #3018
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

does anyone know when the NHL will announce whether there is going to be expansion or not? I think a lot of trade scenarios ( goalies for example) will come forth the minute they say that 1 or 2 teams are going to be added. Teams will need to position themselves for the expansion draft. I think Calgary can really benefit if this was the case, some really good goalies are going to be available.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #3019
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner View Post
does anyone know when the NHL will announce whether there is going to be expansion or not? I think a lot of trade scenarios ( goalies for example) will come forth the minute they say that 1 or 2 teams are going to be added. Teams will need to position themselves for the expansion draft. I think Calgary can really benefit if this was the case, some really good goalies are going to be available.
It was stated that teams would know before the draft.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #3020
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

With the Kings eliminated last night, the big question is can they manipulate their cap situation to re-sign Lucic or is he going to hit UFA.
Closed Thread