Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default Calgary police begin mandatory alcohol screening at Checkstops

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...-at-checkstops

I don't know why this doesn't have its own thread. I hope the inevitable court challenge comes soon and this thing gets deemed to violate our charter rights.
__________________
How 'bout them Bombers??
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

I was sure there was a thread about it, or at least a decent discussion in another thread.

Either way, I’ll repeat what I said there: I think it’s a good thing, It’ll get challenged a whole bunch but as the article says it seems to do a good job of changing the culture in other countries where it’s been implemented.

I’ll happily be inconvenienced for a minute if it means even one extra drunk driver gets nabbed. #### those losers.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

oh yes it was in a thread somewhere in canadian politics or gears maybe.

thought it should have its own thread.
__________________
How 'bout them Bombers??
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

As someone who witnessed a drunk driving accident where 2 people died I’m fine with being inconvenienced with it.

Don’t play stupid games, don’t win stupid prizes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Looks like you'll need one long before I will. May I suggest deflection king?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
As someone who witnessed a drunk driving accident where 2 people died Iím fine with being inconvenienced with it.

Donít play stupid games, donít win stupid prizes.
What about my charter rights? I don't drink and drive so dont play stupid games doesn't apply to me does it?

Or... is driving under any condition the stupid game?
__________________
How 'bout them Bombers??
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
What about my charter rights? I don't drink and drive so dont play stupid games doesn't apply to me does it?

Or... is driving under any condition the stupid game?
Why does this bother you so much. You come up on a check stop, blow under the limit and your on your way.

Oh the huge manatee.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Looks like you'll need one long before I will. May I suggest deflection king?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Why does this bother you so much. You come up on a check stop, blow under the limit and your on your way.

Oh the huge manatee.
Shouldn't any infringement on our charter rights be a big deal?
__________________
How 'bout them Bombers??
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Because smelling you and asking “have you been drinking tonight?” before they ask you to blow really makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your rights?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Looks like you'll need one long before I will. May I suggest deflection king?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Because smelling you and asking ďhave you been drinking tonight?Ē before they ask you to blow really makes you feel warm and fuzzy about your rights?
If I'm reading you right...probable cause is a pretty significant difference.
__________________
How 'bout them Bombers??
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
If I'm reading you right...probable cause is a pretty significant difference.
Evidently to you.

But no, to me it isnít a big difference or one that I care to call losing my rights. Driving is a privilege and drinking and driving is illegal, if everyone blowing at a check stop prevents more people from doing it then thatís fine with me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Looks like you'll need one long before I will. May I suggest deflection king?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
activeStick
First Line Centre
 
activeStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

This definitely seems like a great example of "slippery slope". But drunk drivers evoke a lot of emotional reactions from people so it might not be seen as the same thing as other examples.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Just curious how often do people hit checkstops? I don't drive much, and if it is on a night a checkstop might be out I've probably already chose alternate transport so I've never actually run into one. Is it common?
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - Almost as bad as Winnipeg.
Calgary Roads Dept - Ya, we'll get to that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:49 PM   #13
mrdonkey
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Exp:
Default

Is an extra minute or two of your time that much to ask for if it saves even one more life?

If you're really that worried about being breathalyzed without probable cause, just don't drive if you've had more than one or two drinks. Take an Uber, or use one of the multitudes of programs and services available to get you home safely.

I could see a real argument against this when your only other options after a night out with your friends were to have a DD, take transit (lol, not in this city) or pay $70+ for a cab. But that's not the case anymore.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #14
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Checkstops existed well before this. Freely administering a breathalyzer during a checkstop isn't violating the charter of rights unless you have something to hide, then it's a scapgoat argument to use. It's not self incrimninating. Honestly, if it's held solely to checkstops, that's a win IMO. A random pull over for no reason? That's a hill to die on I suppose.

Honestly I want cell phones dealt with more. So many boneheaded idiots on the roads with their phones in their hands and in their face. Figger out how to deal with this problem.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Just curious how often do people hit checkstops? I don't drive much, and if it is on a night a checkstop might be out I've probably already chose alternate transport so I've never actually run into one. Is it common?
I haven't gone through one in about 10 years I think
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

I’d rather 1000 drunk drivers go free than give up one iota of our protected rights.

This is unquestionably a slippery slope and the expansion of police powers, while reducing our right to presumed innocence, is deeply concerning.

Why not let them search your car without probable cause? Spy on your phone records, photos and texts? Search your house? Browser history? Bank statements?

Surely if we increased our monitoring levels we could prevent all kinds of crime, not just drunk drivers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
CaptainYooh
#1 Goaltender
 
CaptainYooh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Bravo, Cecil! I agree 100%.
__________________
"An idea is always a generalization, and generalization is a property of thinking. To generalize means to think." Georg Hegel, Philosopher

ďTo generalize is to be an idiot.Ē William Blake, Writer
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:17 PM   #18
Barnet Flame
First Line Centre
 
Barnet Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Barnet - North London
Exp:
Default

I donít understand how people can be opposed to a procedure that has empirical evidence demonstrating that it contributes to saving lives.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #19
White Out 403
Franchise Player
 
White Out 403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I donít understand how people can be opposed to a procedure that has empirical evidence demonstrating that it contributes to saving lives.
Because it violates the charter rights?

You know what else would save lives in this scenario? Summary executions for those found to blow over on road side checkstops. I bet that will save lots of lives too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Checkstops existed well before this. Freely administering a breathalyzer during a checkstop isn't violating the charter of rights unless you have something to hide, then it's a scapgoat argument to use. It's not self incrimninating. Honestly, if it's held solely to checkstops, that's a win IMO. A random pull over for no reason? That's a hill to die on I suppose.
I don't have to wait for the Supreme Court to of Canada to rule on this, you are wrong. Period.

If you're argument was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Checkstops existed well before this.[B] Freely administering a breathalyzer during a checkstop isn't violating the charter of rights.
Then I would still disagree with you and say the courts will rule on it.
__________________
How 'bout them Bombers??

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-26-2018 at 03:26 PM.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:25 PM   #20
Barnet Flame
First Line Centre
 
Barnet Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Barnet - North London
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Because it violates the charter rights?



You know what else would save lives in this scenario? Summary executions for those found to blow over on road side checkstops. I bet that will save lots of lives too.

If that were the next step, youíd have a point.

It wonít be.

So you donít.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016