Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #2221
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Like him or dislike him, I'm glad he's doing the town halls. Good that he takes questions and heat over certain topics. I hope all our PMs after him do the same.
He only got armtwisted into doing it to blunt the fallout from the whole Aga Khan ordeal making him look like an elitist snob - and it's been a fairly terrible solution considering his condescending non-responses to everything in them.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorbeauNoir For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #2222
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the proper video.

Just more political bullcrap came out of his mouth. If you hadn't have killed the 2 other pipelines you wouldn't have had to buy the 3rd you goof.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
dre
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 PM   #2223
Ped
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Boy the back of Justin's neck was noticeably red.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:26 AM   #2224
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Why? He doesnít answer the tough questions and just spits out his talking points. Whatís the point?
The point is that the PM gets questions and takes some heat from Canadians across the country. I'd much rather that than have him sit behind his desk, plug his ears and not face the music.

Look.......I get that this is the anti-Trudeau thread. And I get that people think he just gives vanilla answers to some of the questions. That's what all politicians do.

But I don't care if it's a Liberal, Conservative, NDP, whatever.

I'm just saying I hope all PMs from here on out do the same thing. It's not a controversial or partisan issue........having our PMs answer our questions (as lame as some of the answers are) is a good thing, IMO. If Scheer is the next PM I hope he does the same thing.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 AM   #2225
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think you can wave your hand at the way Trudeau handles these things by saying that "all politicians give vanilla answers". That's not unlike looking at how Trump conducts himself and arguing that all politicians lie. Well, sure, but he's much worse in this regard than others. He's frequently just... non-responsive. As someone said above, if you're not even going to engage with what's being asked, why are you wasting everyone's time with the event in the first place? At that point it's just a photo op.

Compare how Trudeau handles these sorts of questions to how Obama did it.

That is a complete, thorough answer to a multi-part question. I know, it's a high standard, but Trudeau is at the absolute opposite end of the spectrum.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #2226
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Obama vs. Trudeau.

Yeah.

Obama vs. anybody is lopsided.

Like I said, I get this thread isn't a Trudeau love-in. I'm just saying if I had a choice of our PM taking questions in a town hall or not I prefer the former. I don't care who the PM is or from what party. Let's pretend it's Scheer in 2021. I think it would be a good idea for him to do the same thing. It really isn't a controversial comment, unless you want it to be.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 AM   #2227
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obama vs. Trudeau.

Yeah.

Obama vs. anybody is lopsided.

Like I said, I get this thread isn't a Trudeau love-in. I'm just saying if I had a choice of our PM taking questions in a town hall or not I prefer the former. I don't care who the PM is or from what party. Let's pretend it's Scheer in 2021. I think it would be a good idea for him to do the same thing. It really isn't a controversial comment, unless you want it to be.
I think youíre missing the point here.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:14 AM   #2228
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think youíre missing the point here.
Which is what?

I think heís made it obvious that his point is itís good for the PM to engage with people and answer questions and things like that. He wasnít talking about anything partisan in the least. For some reason, the people who donít like Trudeau anyway, think itís a bad idea though? Itís a strange position to take.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #2229
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I actually thought his answer was pretty good to be honest. From the guys bluntness and saying “we don’t like you”, I actually thought Trudeau handled himself well there. I mean, that was a fairly hostile crowd. Not many leaders would have the balls to stand in front of a large group that you know actively doesn’t like you and then is so brazen to even say it to your face and the crowd laughs and snickers and basically are all mocking you? That’s a tough spot.

I think in his answer what came across is he believes his path is going to be what it takes but I very strongly disagree with it. I think he’s hopelessly naive and just plain wrong. He’s dealing with people that can’t be consulted with. That have proven time after time that “respectful” discourse and consultation doesn’t work and it all really just amounts to extortion (honestly, that’s what it is). And you’re dealing with eco-nazis who are willing to see economies collapse because they believe the end of the world is near, so money be damned (and I believe they’re wrong about this approach too).

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 01-12-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #2230
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think heís made it obvious that his point is itís good for the PM to engage with people and answer questions and things like that.
The point is that he doesn't actually do that. At all. The video of Obama was intended to provide an example of what engaging people and answering their questions looks like.

I'd like whoever is PM to do town hall meetings, too, but not if they're just going to take big cuts at the softballs from their supporters and dodge anything controversial or challenging. All you get is awkwardly delivered talking points; it might as well be a recording. If that's how you're conducting a town hall you're providing zero public benefit, and there must be a more productive way you could be spending your work time. More annoying still, in Trudeau's case, I fully expect during the next campaign that he'll tout how he did this and "talked to people about their concerns for the country", or some such. Well, no, you didn't do anything of the sort.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #2231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The rumors on the cabinet shuffle are that it will be a small shuffle. McKenna will be shuffled out of the environment to take over Scott Brisson's treasure board spot, Bernadette Jordan would be moved from Parlimentary Secretary to the environment.

They might shuffle Sohi out of the Natural Resources Cabinet.

The problem is that if they do and put a East of Saskatchewan MP in its place during the pipeline issues and Oil crisis, Alberta and Saskatchewan will not like it.

Unfortunately from a bench strength in Alberta and Saskatchewan point of view they just don't have it.

Randy Boissonault from Edmonton is a nobody and hasn't really been heard from since being elected, probably going to get beaten in the next election

Kent Hehr is a disaster and has gone pretty much silent especially during the Oil Crisis and been a lightning rod of contraversy, is probably going to lose his seat in the election.

Ralph Goodale probably doesn't have the interest in the Natural Resources portfolio, and is looking at a tough fight of his own if he decides to run in the next election.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #2232
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Access to Information denials up sharply under the current government

https://twitter.com/statuses/1082645676520062976
Old 01-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #2233
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The point is that the PM gets questions and takes some heat from Canadians across the country. I'd much rather that than have him sit behind his desk, plug his ears and not face the music.
That's effectively what he does the man never gives meaningful answers or simply doesn't give an answer. He doesn't even need to be there and you already know what he's going to say if he says anything at all.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #2234
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The point is that he doesn't actually do that. At all. The video of Obama was intended to provide an example of what engaging people and answering their questions looks like.

I'd like whoever is PM to do town hall meetings, too, but not if they're just going to take big cuts at the softballs from their supporters and dodge anything controversial or challenging. All you get is awkwardly delivered talking points; it might as well be a recording. If that's how you're conducting a town hall you're providing zero public benefit, and there must be a more productive way you could be spending your work time. More annoying still, in Trudeau's case, I fully expect during the next campaign that he'll tout how he did this and "talked to people about their concerns for the country", or some such. Well, no, you didn't do anything of the sort.
The point made by KFF has nothing to with whether you like his answers though. I get it; politicians get asked questions and donít answer and thatís irritating. The point here is that whoever is PM should do this though. I donít think that means that because having the opportunity to grill the PM is a good idea it also means we have to like the answers given or agree with them. Those are two different debates.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #2235
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava
I don’t think that means that because having the opportunity to grill the PM is a good idea it also means we have to like the answers given or agree with them.
This is pretty frustrating because you don't seem to be reading what I've written, and I don't know how I can say this any other way than I've already said it.

To reiterate: the issue is not us "not liking the answers or agreeing with them". The issue is not providing any sort of substantive response to any question that calls for critical analysis. You might as well not have the opportunity to "grill the PM" if all the PM is going to do in response to that "grilling" is not answer your question and pivot to his talking points. We can read the talking points for ourselves, if we're interested - unsurprisingly, few are. This sort of "town hall" performance adds nothing to the national conversation, and might as well not happen, since no one is any better off. Except, arguably, for Trudeau himself, who can disingenuously campaign on having done "open town halls", and use the events as a photo op.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 PM   #2236
8 Ball
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This is pretty frustrating because you don't seem to be reading what I've written, and I don't know how I can say this any other way than I've already said it.

To reiterate: the issue is not us "not liking the answers or agreeing with them". The issue is not providing any sort of substantive response to any question that calls for critical analysis. You might as well not have the opportunity to "grill the PM" if all the PM is going to do in response to that "grilling" is not answer your question and pivot to his talking points. We can read the talking points for ourselves, if we're interested - unsurprisingly, few are. This sort of "town hall" performance adds nothing to the national conversation, and might as well not happen, since no one is any better off. Except, arguably, for Trudeau himself, who can disingenuously campaign on having done "open town halls", and use the events as a photo op.
Exactly. It's a joke. The only people who are in support of this travelling side show are people just as stupid as he is.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #2237
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The point made by KFF has nothing to with whether you like his answers though. I get it; politicians get asked questions and don’t answer and that’s irritating. The point here is that whoever is PM should do this though. I don’t think that means that because having the opportunity to grill the PM is a good idea it also means we have to like the answers given or agree with them. Those are two different debates.
Why should the PM do this? Just make people more upset and divisive? What’s the point? It’s literally the only think that comes of these.

Either don’t do it or be a real leader like the Obama video given before.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #2238
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think you can wave your hand at the way Trudeau handles these things by saying that "all politicians give vanilla answers". That's not unlike looking at how Trump conducts himself and arguing that all politicians lie. Well, sure, but he's much worse in this regard than others. He's frequently just... non-responsive. As someone said above, if you're not even going to engage with what's being asked, why are you wasting everyone's time with the event in the first place? At that point it's just a photo op.

Compare how Trudeau handles these sorts of questions to how Obama did it.

That is a complete, thorough answer to a multi-part question. I know, it's a high standard, but Trudeau is at the absolute opposite end of the spectrum.
Interestingly enough, Trudeau got a question like this in Regina and handled it as well as he could.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4836561/t...igrants-islam/
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:56 PM   #2239
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Interestingly enough, Trudeau got a question like this in Regina and handled it as well as he could.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4836561/t...igrants-islam/
That is probably the best "off the cuff" response I have heard him make.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 AM   #2240
8 Ball
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
That is probably the best "off the cuff" response I have heard him make.
Lol, some moron says something stupid and JT is all over it. Someone poses a serious question and expected an answer and he skirts around it.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote