Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #1
stampsx2
Powerplay Quarterback
 
stampsx2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread 2

Top google searches in Canada yesterday:

1) Yorkdale shooting - 200,000 hits
2) trans mountain pipeline - 50,000 hits
3) Toronto motorcycle accident - 50,000 hits

Seems like trans mountain is only a big deal in Alberta. My conclusion is the only politician affected by this in the polls will be Notley. So why should Trudeau care?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Did we really need the picture of a duck there in order to understand that idiom?

Anyway, it's super annoying, and insulting, when people accuse you of holding beliefs and political positions you don't hold. Take people at their word. Nothing Rube has said is inconsistent with a pro-TMX stance, even if he's not cheerleading it.
Not only that but it makes you look like a zealot when you level accusations at people because they don't completely fall in line with your side of the argument.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:26 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Top google searches in Canada yesterday:

1) Yorkdale shooting - 200,000 hits
2) trans mountain pipeline - 50,000 hits
3) Toronto motorcycle accident - 50,000 hits

Seems like trans mountain is only a big deal in Alberta. My conclusion is the only politician affected by this in the polls will be Notley. So why should Trudeau care?

Because, and maybe I'm being an idealist, but he's the Prime Minister of Canada, and if he's not going to care, then is there a point to Canada or Confederation. This is not a separatist statement, and I'm far from being naive, but if he's not going to care, then he joins a long line of prime ministers that have either failed or outright abused this province, and in that case then Confederation should just die.
__________________
Someone once asked me if I was scared of the storm
I am the Storm
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player
 
MelBridgeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Not only that but it makes you look like a zealot when you level accusations at people because they don't completely fall in line with your side of the argument.
Could not agree more! Exhibit A

__________________
Quote:
During filming at a residence of the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, rowdy residents disturbed filming by hanging USSR flags in the residence windows, reporting the shoot to the fire marshal, yelling distracting taunts at the actors, and even stealing Kurt Russell's chair.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Because, and maybe I'm being an idealist, but he's the Prime Minister of Canada, and if he's not going to care, then is there a point to Canada or Confederation. This is not a separatist statement, and I'm far from being naive, but if he's not going to care, then he joins a long line of prime ministers that have either failed or outright abused this province, and in that case then Confederation should just die.
I really don't understand what else he's supposed to do to show that he cares. If anything the guy has cared too much about the project from a political strategy perspective. He's already cut a $4.5B cheque that has seriously hampered his chances for re-election in more urbanized, left-leaning parts of the country. You might not agree with the approach he's taken, but to say he doesn't care is just outright blind partisanship/hatred at this point.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #6
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Could not agree more! Exhibit A

The guy outright said he thought First Nations needed to be "put in their place" and openly pined for the leader of the country to make quasi-racial slurs towards indigenous people. What exactly isn't racist about that?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Top google searches in Canada yesterday:

1) Yorkdale shooting - 200,000 hits
2) trans mountain pipeline - 50,000 hits
3) Toronto motorcycle accident - 50,000 hits

Seems like trans mountain is only a big deal in Alberta. My conclusion is the only politician affected by this in the polls will be Notley. So why should Trudeau care?
Not that surprising. I wonder how many Canadians even know what Kinder Morgan is. I bet you'd end up with a majority of respondents thinking they make chocholate eggs with toys in.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #8
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Because, and maybe I'm being an idealist, but he's the Prime Minister of Canada, and if he's not going to care, then is there a point to Canada or Confederation. This is not a separatist statement, and I'm far from being naive, but if he's not going to care, then he joins a long line of prime ministers that have either failed or outright abused this province, and in that case then Confederation should just die.
The point of Confederation from day one was to lock the Maritimes into Ontario/Quebec's sphere of influence before spooky ideas like self-determination got a chance to manifest themselves in a practical form. That intent has never changed, it's just spread westward and encompassed an increasing amount of 'lesser' territories. In that sense everything is continuing to run perfectly well.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:40 PM   #9
V
Franchise Player
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
Could not agree more! Exhibit A
Haha, was that supposed to make rube look bad? If you don't think that poster was racist garbage, I don't know what to tell you. No nuance there.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

I'm not sure I disagree with GullFoss's post. Things like this is what makes people take the 2 opinions he suggested. He never said himself he thinks that.

Part of the reason why the judges comments were so misguided IMO. Doing something like this isn't going to promote reconciliation, its going to prevent it.

Last edited by Weitz; 08-31-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #11
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee
 
KootenayFlamesFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Small town, B.C.
Exp:
Default

No deal done by Trump’s deadline. That’s a shame.


Daniel Dale@ddale8
·

Breaking: Canada and the U.S. have not reached a trade deal today, a Canadian official says. The talks are done for today, scheduled to resume on Wednesday. The Canadian team is set to go home by tomorrow morning.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I'm not sure I disagree with GullFoss's post. Things like this is what makes people take the 2 opinions he suggested. He never said himself he thinks that.
Oh piss off with that enabling garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

2) backlash against minorities and special interest groups. This puts in me firmly in the camp of, "I'm done appeasing the natives, Indians, indigenous, first Nations etc." Give me a politician that will put them in their place and I'll vote for him. Bonus points if he uses the word "chief" in a derrogitory sense like Trump would
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:45 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Oh piss off with that enabling garbage.
Just totally ignore the very first qualifying statement eh?

The writing is sloppy but I would wager he is referring to understanding why people would hold the 2 opinions he states there. Which there are a ton of people around the country who have such opinions. But if you totally ignore the first line in the post then sure you are right.

Last edited by Weitz; 08-31-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just totally ignore the very first qualifying statement eh?
Because it's completely irrelevant unless you're giving the guy the most charitable interpretation imaginable.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #15
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Because it's completely irrelevant unless you're giving the guy the most charitable interpretation imaginable.
Well its not a way anyone in the world would ever write their thoughts... so...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:50 PM   #16
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Yeah, if that's what he meant, you'd think he would have written, "many people will now be saying things like..."

I mean if Gullfoss comes in and says he didn't mean that he thought that himself I'll extend him the same courtesy that others failed to extend to Rube a minute ago and assume he isn't lying, but his post seemed pretty clear.
__________________
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, if that's what he meant, you'd think he would have written, "many people will now be saying things like..."
Or preface it by saying something like "This isn't what I think, but I can see why people would think this..." You also generally don't see a lot of "I" and "me" statements when you're speaking to how someone else views the world. Generally much more likely to use "them" or "they."

EDIT: And agreed with the second part of your post, but the fact that he got called out on it and didn't come back to expand on it kind of speaks volumes to me.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, if that's what he meant, you'd think he would have written, "many people will now be saying things like..."

I mean if Gullfoss comes in and says he didn't mean that he thought that himself I'll extend him the same courtesy that others failed to extend to Rube a minute ago and assume he isn't lying, but his post seemed pretty clear.
Sure maybe he meant he believes those things but saying:

"I am started to understand the following views:"

Then describing 2 views that are quite prevalent in downtown Calgary isn't all that out to lunch.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #19
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just totally ignore the very first qualifying statement eh?

The writing is sloppy but I would wager he is referring to understanding why people would hold the 2 opinions he states there. Which there are a ton of people around the country who have such opinions. But if you totally ignore the first line in the post then sure you are right.
Wait, I thought if it walked like a duck and talked like a duck, it was a duck?

Now you’re a champion of nuance and interpretation a handful of posts later?

Rich.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Then describing 2 views that are quite prevalent in downtown Calgary isn't all that out to lunch.

Wasn't too long ago that women were not allowed in the Petroleum Club after 2 pm.
__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
twitter/instagram @troutman1966
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:55 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016