Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 11-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #21
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give them all taxi licenses as a welcome to Canada gift? Mmmmm? Hmmmm? Two birds with one stone.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:24 PM   #22
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
there are programs in canada for those thousands of people. it is called welfare.
Dumping people onto welfare doesn't do anything. By just providing handouts, you just breed generational poverty.

Before we increase the costs by at least $13mm a month, we should be breaking the poverty cycle at home. There is also nothing that says we won't wind up with the problems that Europe is now facing as a result of the vastly different mindset that the arriving refugees and economic migrants have.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #23
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's the screening process for any refugees entering Canada?
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dagger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:31 PM   #24
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

unfortunetly if countries waited till there poverty cycle was fixed nobody would be helped, nothing says you can't try to do both.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Potato Standing By For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #25
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And were those immigrants you spoke with refugees who were fleeing for their lives?
You're right, they weren't refugees. Their fears like mine is that the security process/check will somehow be overlooked in the fast track to get these refugees into Canada.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #26
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish there was another way we could help these people without taking on refuges. With the pipeline being cancelled this could really negatively impact us, as much as I do want to help them.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #27
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
unfortunetly if countries waited till there poverty cycle was fixed nobody would be helped, nothing says you can't try to do both.
Where does the money come from though? This is going to add a minimum of $13 million a month in spending, more when the government realizes that you can't house a family of 4 for $700/month and they have to increase the rent allowance. And that's just the government cost, non-profits are going to feel the hit, our already stretched food banks are going to feel the hit.

Realistically, how many of these people will actually be getting jobs? Especially with all the people who are looking right now, people who actually speak the language and have recognized qualifications or a willing to take anything since they got laid off.

At some point, you're hurting your own citizens at the expense of refugees and economic migrants.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #28
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Dumping people onto welfare doesn't do anything. By just providing handouts, you just breed generational poverty.

Before we increase the costs by at least $13mm a month, we should be breaking the poverty cycle at home. There is also nothing that says we won't wind up with the problems that Europe is now facing as a result of the vastly different mindset that the arriving refugees and economic migrants have.
I love how breaking the poverty cycle at home suddenly becomes a hot issue once a bunch of brown people are being let into town. Like people were just about to unleash some masterplan to eliminate poverty but its now been interupted because refugees are coming.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 11-11-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #29
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What does this realistically look like?

If it's a family (mom/dad 1+ child) I would seriously look at providing room, board and food for a family for a period of time. My fear (and admittedly maybe selfish xenophobia) would be being stuck with single males, extremist islamists (you must provide adequate prayer quarters, no more bacon) and no finite time limit (what if this strife extends 10 years).

I`d love to help but I don`t want to find myself in a case of care giver`s burden (because I`m a bit selfish).
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:46 PM   #30
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Where does the money come from though? This is going to add a minimum of $13 million a month in spending, more when the government realizes that you can't house a family of 4 for $700/month and they have to increase the rent allowance. And that's just the government cost, non-profits are going to feel the hit, our already stretched food banks are going to feel the hit.

Realistically, how many of these people will actually be getting jobs? Especially with all the people who are looking right now, people who actually speak the language and have recognized qualifications or a willing to take anything since they got laid off.

At some point, you're hurting your own citizens at the expense of refugees and economic migrants.
yes they are going to feel the hit,but it is the right thing to do.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #31
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Immigration lawyer Richard Kurland said the only way he sees the Liberal government fulfilling its promise is if Ottawa conducts less-than-thorough security checks. “Twenty-five thousand refugees by Jan. 1 is possible if incomplete security checks for 25,000 people from the Middle East looks like an acceptable risk,” the Vancouver-based lawyer said.
Quote:
In 1999, Canada initially housed 5,000 refugees from Kosovo at CFB Greenwood in Nova Scotia and CFB Trenton in Ontario. They spent six to eight weeks on bases.

Tom Denton with Hospitality House Refugee Ministry, a pioneer in the resettlement of refugees in Canada, said the paperwork demand for refugees has soared since the Kosovars came here.

“The system has become far more complex. Biometrics are required. Medical examinations are required. Security clearances are required.

“If they want to bring in 25,000 in short order, it would require some very fresh thinking,” he said of the Liberals.

“The [Department of Citizenship and Immigration] is so tied up in its own paperwork they would somehow to have to find a way to bypass all of that stuff in order to bring in numbers like this quickly.”
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle27075661/
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #32
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
What does this realistically look like?

If it's a family (mom/dad 1+ child) I would seriously look at providing room, board and food for a family for a period of time. My fear (and admittedly maybe selfish xenophobia) would be being stuck with single males, extremist islamists (you must provide adequate prayer quarters, no more bacon) and no finite time limit (what if this strife extends 10 years).

I`d love to help but I don`t want to find myself in a case of care giver`s burden (because I`m a bit selfish).
I think you even considering housing some refugees means you're not selfish, most people wouldn't even consider it and that includes the bleeding hearts who roasted Harper for even trying to institute some kind of control of who gets in to our country.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 PM   #33
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe they won't get off the plane because it's too cold.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #34
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
yes they are going to feel the hit,but it is the right thing to do.
At what point does admitting refugees stop being the right thing to do? Do we let them all in? Do we let 50/100/500k in? As we have abundant space, and a willingness to dip further into debt, why stop at 25,000?
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #35
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Dion; 11-11-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #36
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder if Saudi Arabia will offer 200 mosques to accomodate them
Old 11-11-2015, 09:58 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing as how our previous government was involved in bombing Syria, it's only right that we take in our fair share of refugees.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #38
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When you look at the recent history and the current outlook for Calgary it's a pretty overwhelming number, the days of 10,000 people coming every month and finding jobs the day they arrive are gone and I don't see any signs of it coming back. But after 10 years of that, we have housing problems that are going to be very difficult for refugees to navigate.

I don't have a strong opinion about the commitments Trudeau has made, but I think it's important they spread the burden around. If the number is 25,000, over 9% to Calgary seems high proportionally for a city that has under 4% of the population. It's going to be a big challenge for our social infrastructure to rise up to.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #39
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how did our smaller country (population wise at the time) manage to take in those 50,000 Vietnamese boat people in '79 and '80? Surely at our larger population now we can take 1/2 that amount of Syrians?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think this is a small glimpse into what is to come.

In the near future, more and more people will be fleeing wars, oppression, poverty and rising oceans.

Record 137,000 migrants cross the Med to Europe in the first half of the year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ease-2014.html
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote