Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #221
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Samsung phones would be the best in the world if they didn't have the Samsung OS. If they ever offered a Galaxy phone with stock Android (like they did as a test program with Google years ago) I'd be all over it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #222
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

I don't even think the hardware is that great. Awesome screens but their build quality feels cheap and plasticy to me. I just don't like em it seems.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 06:16 PM   #223
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Really? I have no loyalty to any company, but I look at every phone that comes out and they seem inferior to Samsung right now. The S9 seems better than anything else, but it wasn't enough of a leap from the S8 or my S7 to bother upgrading.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:17 PM   #224
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

The software is totally unobtrusive imo. I do run Google Now launcher, so maybe that's why I don't notice it being a pain?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #225
sa226
First Line Centre
 
sa226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back in Calgary!!
Exp:
Default

I haven't had a pure android device in awhile, but the Samsung devices have addressed the hate for their crappy UI.

With a launcher like Nova or whatever, the samsungness is hardly noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:35 AM   #226
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets
 
Hemi-Cuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: slightly to the left
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I haven't had a pure android device in awhile, but the Samsung devices have addressed the hate for their crappy UI.

With a launcher like Nova or whatever, the samsungness is hardly noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Except for using that stupid Bixby thing instead of Google Assistant, and all of the Samsung bloat apps that you can't uninstall. They have way too many apps that just repeat what Google has already done, but worse. I'll agree that it isn't as bad as it used to be, but comparing a Galaxy to say a OnePlus 6 it just seems tacky. I ended up taking the middle ground since work was paying for a phone, couldn't get a OnePlus so ended up with an LG G7. It's pretty much identical to the S9 hardware wise, but with better audio and a bit less bloat
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:31 AM   #227
btimbit
Franchise Player
 
btimbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Bixby + Bloat is a huge negative for sure. I have an S8 now and come fall will be looking to go back to a more stock android phone. Pixel 4 most likely unless something like Essential Products makes a comeback and releases a new phone

Last edited by btimbit; 01-12-2019 at 04:33 AM.
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM   #228
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
unless something like Essential Products makes a comeback and releases a new phone
That would be awesome. Unlikely, but awesome. Or even HTC. They had their own bloatware but much of it was actually good.

Failing that, Pixel for sure. Only phone out there I'd have any interest in.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #229
DoubleK
First Line Centre
 
DoubleK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I went from a Nexus 6p to a Pixel 3XL. I'm super happy with it.

I tried out the Essential phone for a bit, which I liked but not having dual front speakers affected my enjoyment of the device.
__________________
It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #230
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I don't even think the hardware is that great. Awesome screens but their build quality feels cheap and plasticy to me. I just don't like em it seems.
There's a guy on YouTube (JerryRigEverything) who does durability tests on phones. He swears by Samsung quality and the phones always perform well in his tests.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #231
TSXCman
First Line Centre
 
TSXCman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

I just opened my brand new Samsung S9, coming from a Pixel, and I think I'm going to put it up for sale. I'll be looking for a Pixel 2 or 3.

Personal preference on the flat screen and vanilla Android experience over the high performing Samsung phone.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2019, 03:30 PM   #232
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
There's a guy on YouTube (JerryRigEverything) who does durability tests on phones. He swears by Samsung quality and the phones always perform well in his tests.

Oh for sure. My opinion is based on nothing but me picking one up up from time to time and messing around with it for all of a few minutes. That and people at work that seem to have nothing but problems with their Samsung and come to me looking for help.

I still maintain their software sucks but I'll change my tune on the build quality.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #233
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER
 
Sliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Oh for sure. My opinion is based on nothing but me picking one up up from time to time and messing around with it for all of a few minutes. That and people at work that seem to have nothing but problems with their Samsung and come to me looking for help.

I still maintain their software sucks but I'll change my tune on the build quality.
What kind of problems do they have?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #234
TSXCman
First Line Centre
 
TSXCman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Exp:
Default

This may be a stretch, but does anyone have any ideas on unlocking a samsung s6 from its carrier? I sold my friend my.old phone and we can't get any cracks or even pay for companies to unlock it. It's still in good shape so we don't want to waste it
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #235
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TopChed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
This may be a stretch, but does anyone have any ideas on unlocking a samsung s6 from its carrier? I sold my friend my.old phone and we can't get any cracks or even pay for companies to unlock it. It's still in good shape so we don't want to waste it
I think if you take it to your carrier, they should unlock it for free.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #236
Aleks
Scoring Winger
 
Aleks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Still happy with my OP6 at the 9 month mark. It performs just as it did out of the box, the battery life is still amazing, nothing has slowed down or been problematic. Plenty of updates in a timely manner, and as close to vanilla android as you can get. They had the OP6 for a smoking deal just recently, the OP6t will likely hit that shortly too whenever they announce a 7. When I get bored of this one I'll likely just buy another OP product, I've been most impressed with this phone in my long history of high end android phones.
__________________
In case of hurt feelings, please visit You are Not Alone forums
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #237
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Anyone able to recommend a good Android based tablet? The one I wanted over Christmas doesn't appear to be coming back into stock (Asus Zenpad Pro) so wondering if there is an alternative I've missed. Looking for:
1) Thin and light weight
2) Around 10 inch screen
3) USB C
4) Around $500 if possible?
5) Small bezel.

Only thing I can find so far that fits is the newer Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Typically not a fan of Samsung but their tablets don't seem all that bad? Not as much bloatwhere on them these days I think.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #238
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!
 
sureLoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Learning Phaneufs skating style
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Anyone able to recommend a good Android based tablet? The one I wanted over Christmas doesn't appear to be coming back into stock (Asus Zenpad Pro) so wondering if there is an alternative I've missed. Looking for:
1) Thin and light weight
2) Around 10 inch screen
3) USB C
4) Around $500 if possible?
5) Small bezel.

Only thing I can find so far that fits is the newer Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Typically not a fan of Samsung but their tablets don't seem all that bad? Not as much bloatwhere on them these days I think.
My friend has one of these. Paid around $350 USD for one:



Very nice device. But looks like it is difficult to find in North America at the moment.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 10:46 AM   #239
psicodude
First Line Centre
 
psicodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Anyone able to recommend a good Android based tablet? The one I wanted over Christmas doesn't appear to be coming back into stock (Asus Zenpad Pro) so wondering if there is an alternative I've missed. Looking for:
1) Thin and light weight
2) Around 10 inch screen
3) USB C
4) Around $500 if possible?
5) Small bezel.

Only thing I can find so far that fits is the newer Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Typically not a fan of Samsung but their tablets don't seem all that bad? Not as much bloatwhere on them these days I think.
Honestly, the Samsung tablets are your best bet. The build quality is far superior to anyone else and the bloat isn't much of an issue anymore. The Huawei tablets get really strong reviews, but I haven't been able to source one in Calgary. The Android tablet market is a barren wasteland it seems, as the sales numbers just aren't strong enough to attract competition.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #240
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player
 
GoinAllTheWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Not sure
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
The Huawei tablets get really strong reviews, but I haven't been able to source one in Calgary.
Interesting, hadn't thought of Huawei. Looks like Visions carries at least one model.

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...5&sku=53010ccb

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-25-2019 at 11:25 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016