Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #101
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That is such a pet peeve for me, and it even includes the movies where you see guys doing the elaberate chambering of rounds.

I've always thought that they should have the added difficulty of a misfeed or jammed round into video games where you actually have to unjam your weapon. I mean lets be honest, in these games you fire thousands of rounds through your weapon in each level. First of all its going to get hella dirty, and your going to get jams and misfires. Just like once in a while I'd like to see a dud grenade, or a bad rocket or whatever.
America's Army had that feature.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #102
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shoot, I don't play games on the PC, but if BF3 is going to be better than on the consoles, I might have to make this a first. Game looks awesome.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #103
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Shoot, I don't play games on the PC, but if BF3 is going to be better than on the consoles, I might have to make this a first. Game looks awesome.
I suggest warming on a different PC fps first, that way you can hit the ground running when this game comes out.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #104
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
PC versions of FPS games are always superior to consoles, even when the developers cheap out and make it a quick port because of the controls alone. but when you have a developer like Dice who focus on the PC game first, there's no contest
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #105
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really thinking about getting it for the PC instead, really thinking about it. That means I'll have to buy a new PC but I need one anyway.

I think this game will push me over the edge.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #106
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard now on several podcasts that developers are leaning back towards PC titles being the main platform of release. We're in that limbo state right now where a decent PC is going to have more horsepower than lastest gen consoles and until Microsoft and Sony release new ones that gap will only get larger.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:12 AM   #107
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss Battlefield 1942's multiplayer... and the Desert Combat mod.

good times.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM   #108
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post

good times.
Iowa Jima was a great map and had everything. Amphin invasions, air craft carriers, artillary ground based fighters and lots of weapon points and bunkers.

Not to mention tanks

You're welcome

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #109
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I've heard now on several podcasts that developers are leaning back towards PC titles being the main platform of release. We're in that limbo state right now where a decent PC is going to have more horsepower than lastest gen consoles and until Microsoft and Sony release new ones that gap will only get larger.
M$ Is already working on the next gen apparently.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Sorry a little off topic here. But just started playing BC2 mutliplayer online with PS3. The only weapons available to me really suck. Do more weapons become available as you play more?

If so, that's a really bad system. It's hard enough for new player to play this as it is withotu a weapons handi-cap.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #111
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Sorry a little off topic here. But just started playing BC2 mutliplayer online with PS3. The only weapons available to me really suck. Do more weapons become available as you play more?

If so, that's a really bad system. It's hard enough for new player to play this as it is withotu a weapons handi-cap.
Yes you unlock better weapons along the way and yes it does suck that a lot of these FPS games use this system. That being said, if you play your role right (repair, heal and resupply), help cap points along with getting the odd kill, you'll unlock some good stuff fairly quickly.

Which class are you playing?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #112
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Yes you unlock better weapons along the way and yes it does suck that a lot of these FPS games use this system. That being said, if you play your role right (repair, heal and resupply), help cap points along with getting the odd kill, you'll unlock some good stuff fairly quickly.

Which class are you playing?
Assault and recon so far. Only played for about an hour last night. Have yet to try the other classes.

At first I was shocked at how lame the weapons were. The trigger action sniper rifle is awful compared to what is available in the single player game and takes either a direct head shot or multiple shots in succession to kill (which is near impossible with the fact you have to unscope, pull the trigger, and then reaim). Then after killing someone, I picked up their weapon and foudn out it was much better than what I was using.

Anyways, handi-cappign new players in a difficult to approach game is really weak. Bad marketing.

Also, you don't get any points for wounding or asssisting in kills. It's going to take me forever just to reach level 2.

Last edited by blankall; 03-31-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:18 PM   #113
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They do it to entice people to buy the game at release. I hate the leveling up concept as well. I'd just scavenge for weapons until you level up. It happens fairly quickly at the lower levels. Plus you do get points for wounding an opponent, so long as you take a significant portion of their health
Old 03-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #114
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
They do it to entice people to buy the game at release. I hate the leveling up concept as well. I'd just scavenge for weapons until you level up. It happens fairly quickly at the lower levels. Plus you do get points for wounding an opponent, so long as you take a significant portion of their health

Guess that makes sense. Especially if they plan on coming out with a new game every year.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:29 PM   #115
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post

good times.
Desert Combat was the most fun I ever had in a FPS game. It's either that or the original Call of Duty.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #116
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you're recon - call in lots of mortar strikes on cap points when the enemy is trying to take them and get into the thick of things and toss out lots of motion sensors. If someone kills a guy your sensor has picked up you get points - plus you can help capture flags and mcomm stations to help level quicker.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #117
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also - if you're playing assault, drop lots of ammo boxes and noob tube it. The guys playing online are already experienced and will be killing you enough to not even notice you spamming the grenade launcher.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #118
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem is at level one you have neither the goggles or the ammo box.. No easy points for a couple levels.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM   #119
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
They do it to entice people to buy the game at release.
It also encourages people who don't buy the game at release to not buy it at all. Maybe they should drop it after a year or something.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 PM   #120
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Assault and recon so far. Only played for about an hour last night. Have yet to try the other classes.

At first I was shocked at how lame the weapons were. The trigger action sniper rifle is awful compared to what is available in the single player game and takes either a direct head shot or multiple shots in succession to kill (which is near impossible with the fact you have to unscope, pull the trigger, and then reaim). Then after killing someone, I picked up their weapon and foudn out it was much better than what I was using.

Anyways, handi-cappign new players in a difficult to approach game is really weak. Bad marketing.

Also, you don't get any points for wounding or asssisting in kills. It's going to take me forever just to reach level 2.
Actually, the starting sniper riffle is one of the best if you play hardcore. It will kill in one shot, even to the body, so long as the person doesn't have body armor. You do get assists for wounding an enemy (provided they don't get healed before they get killed) and you also get points for spotting enemies. Now I am not familiar with the ps3 version but on PC I would just run around mashing the "Q" key to spot enemies and get points like crazy. You get more points if you're in a squad and get a squad kill assist or spot assist.

Also, if you have the motion mine for the recon class just throw those things around and you'll get motion mine assists.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote