Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #281
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, which one of you made this 911 call?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ct...1_4425558.html
Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #282
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s still that dense argument that the alert is intended to wake people up to go and search. Every critique on the internet is, “are they expecting me to put in my pajamas at 2am to go and search?”. No, it’s not to get you to wake up and go join a search party, you smeghead. It’s to get the message out to people who might have information.
Why don't they just alert the people who have information then, duh.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #283
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post

That was me, but it was my mother texting me at 5am to see if I was going to want chicken or lasagna for dinner when I was in town next week. Where can I call to complain?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #284
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It’s still that dense argument that the alert is intended to wake people up to go and search. Every critique on the internet is, “are they expecting me to put in my pajamas at 2am to go and search?”. No, it’s not to get you to wake up and go join a search party, you smeghead. It’s to get the message out to people who might have information.
But I think she makes a valid argument and proposal, whereby there should be different tiers of notifications as there are in the US. Having one class of alerts for emergencies (she uses tornado example, but flooding, forest fires are more common here) where you want everyone and their dog awake and getting to safety.

She argues having the same tone and notifications for Amber alerts will only result in people starting to ignore them, when ultimately, they could eventually be ignoring a flood or forest fire that could cost lives. I think its a valid argument, and whether the answer is having different tone, ignoring options, Do-not-disturb ignoring, etc, whatever, there are valid improvements that can be made to ensure those that are awake are still getting the notification immediately while mitigating unintended consequences.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #285
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post

What’s the fine for frivolous 911 calls these days?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #286
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
But I think she makes a valid argument and proposal, whereby there should be different tiers of notifications as there are in the US. Having one class of alerts for emergencies (she uses tornado example, but flooding, forest fires are more common here) where you want everyone and their dog awake and getting to safety.

She argues having the same tone and notifications for Amber alerts will only result in people starting to ignore them, when ultimately, they could eventually be ignoring a flood or forest fire that could cost lives. I think its a valid argument, and whether the answer is having different tone, ignoring options, Do-not-disturb ignoring, etc, whatever, there are valid improvements that can be made to ensure those that are awake are still getting the notification immediately while mitigating unintended consequences.

If there is a separate tone, isn’t that going to lead people to ignore them? That doesn’t seem to work in the best interest of the Amber Alert.

Still, people keep different hours. The alert that came out on that Friday or Saturday night shouldn’t haven’t bothered anybody, but it did. Why? Because people are just fickle. You will probably have shift workers going off about getting an alert at 2PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 AM   #287
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Still, people keep different hours.
That's why you give control to the users.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #288
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

There was an Amber alert this morning around 5:00- but my phone didn’t go off. Saw the notification when I woke up. The previous alert I also don’t think made a sound on my phone. I had the ringer off and “do not disturb “ mode on- but I thought that wasn’t supposed to prevent it from sounding.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #289
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
There was an Amber alert this morning around 5:00- but my phone didn’t go off. Saw the notification when I woke up. The previous alert I also don’t think made a sound on my phone. I had the ringer off and “do not disturb “ mode on- but I thought that wasn’t supposed to prevent it from sounding.
I got that too, my phone went off but all it said was:

"There is a Critical Amber Alert...for more information go here."

No man, its 5am, give me the info in the Alert so if I know if its anywhere near me. Its 5am, I am not following up for more info just tell me the who, what and where right then and there.

Isnt that the point of the Alert? Just a very quick transmission of information?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:20 PM   #290
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
My phone made no sound on the last two and both times was only on vibrate.

The first time I had it plugged into my car with music playing and almost lost control of my car it was so goddamn loud and unexpected. Freaked me right out. Made it worse than I had the volume unusually high because I was listening to some pre loudness wars classic rock so the volume was well above my normal.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #291
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine definitely went off full blast.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:23 PM   #292
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Airplane mode for me overnight, so nothing. Apparently my wife's phone went off in the other room, but I didn't hear it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 PM   #293
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put mine on DND so I didn’t hear anything. Wife’s went off but it didn’t wake me up.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 PM   #294
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife and I were both up and prepping to head to work. Both our phones went off.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #295
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/amber-...erta-1.4447295

It was children's mother taking them somewhere without proper permission. they found her quickly.

We've had three phones going off at 5 am. I went to bed really late last night hoping to get some sleep on Saturday and couldn't fall back asleep for two hours after the alert. The criteria for alert notification system must change. This case clearly should not have been pushed through the public notification system to the entire province!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #296
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The first time I had it plugged into my car with music playing and almost lost control of my car it was so goddamn loud and unexpected. Freaked me right out. Made it worse than I had the volume unusually high because I was listening to some pre loudness wars classic rock so the volume was well above my normal.
It's supposed to. It is the same warning as you'd get for an incoming nuclear attack remember?

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #297
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this means is that when they actually need people to pay significant attention to one of these, they won't. With great power comes great responsibility... and they've absolutely crapped the bed with this implementation.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 01:39 PM   #298
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
All this means is that when they actually need people to pay significant attention to one of these, they won't. With great power comes great responsibility... and they've absolutely crapped the bed with this implementation.
Boy who cried Wolf.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #299
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/amber-...erta-1.4447295

It was children's mother taking them somewhere without proper permission. they found her quickly.

We've had three phones going off at 5 am. I went to bed really late last night hoping to get some sleep on Saturday and couldn't fall back asleep for two hours after the alert. The criteria for alert notification system must change. This case clearly should not have been pushed through the public notification system to the entire province!
Where does it say that the mother took them with out proper permission, and there was no threat?

I'm up for making adjustments to the system to ensure that we're declaring emergencies when it's an actual emergency, rather than miscommunication or no actual risk. Because it does lose it's effect. But do we know for sure there wasn't any risk to the children?
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #300
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there such a thing as a 'Non-Critical' Amber Alert?