Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #41
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
What does that even mean?

Did you mean boilerplate? Because that would be wrong as well. Get Out was fantastic.
Honestly and its a funny, unfunny story.

Ever since my last concussion a few years back, words sometimes jumble for for me. You should have seen the hilarity of me trying to think of the word covert this weekend in a conversation with some friends.

So yeah, Boiler maker probably not the word I was looking for, but it is an excellent drink selection.

Get Out was ok for me, hey the acting was good, the plot was interesting. But I didn't think that it was some great opus (not the penguin). It felt like pretty much a better made horror movie, but that's about it. It was good, not memorable. And the "twist" that could be seen miles away.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Here’s another big problem with the Oscars no one talks about: It’s 99% drama. Until a movie like “Bridesmaids” or “Airplane!” gets a Best Picture win or even a nomination, it’s all conspicuously incomplete. “Get Out” is a breath of fresh air to be sure, but it’s the exception. @SethMacFarlane
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #43
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, there are plenty of examples of "dramedy" making a splash at the awards. It's hard to take Airplane! seriously as an Oscar film. Fun, yes, but slapstick comedies aren't going to get a nomination unless they are simultaneously trying to say something important thematically or have interesting character arcs.

I could almost get behind a Bridesmaids nomination for some of the themes in that film, but it would be a stretch.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #44
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don't think 99% of comedies deserve to be there, especially something like Bridesmaids, at least for the BP category.

Screenplay, editing and acting? Sure I could see the odd comedy getting in. Thing is, most comedies nowadays are downright stupid. That's not to say they aren't enjoyable or funny, they're just shamlessly stupid. Last comedy I can think of that deserved a nod or two was Bad Santa. Billy Bob for acting for sure.

I could see some of the smarter comedies making it. Royal Tenanbaums, In Bruges etc but I don't think that's the kind of movies you were referring to.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #45
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don't think 99% of comedies deserve to be there, especially something like Bridesmaids, at least for the BP category.

Screenplay, editing and acting? Sure I could see the odd comedy getting in. Thing is, most comedies nowadays are downright stupid. That's not to say they aren't enjoyable or funny, they're just shamlessly stupid. Last comedy I can think of that deserved a nod or two was Bad Santa. Billy Bob for acting for sure.

I could see some of the smarter comedies making it. Royal Tenanbaums, In Bruges etc but I don't think that's the kind of movies you were referring to.
No, I'm with you. Those last 2 examples are the kind of thematically interesting comedies I'm referring to. However, they border on dramedy or "dark" comedy, so people don't think of them as pure comedies.

I just think Seth MacFarlane's quote is B.S. because his type of comedy isn't regarded very highly, so it's a little sour grapes on his part. If he thinks that Ted or Ted 2 deserved even a sniff of an award (and I'm not saying he does), he should get a reality check.

What it boils down to is that BP nominees are usually films that resonate with audiences and leave a lasting impression. The drama genre is best suited to create those types of films. It's not bias in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 12:51 PM   #46
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

If MacFarlane wants recognition for high quality comedy then maybe he should try making some high quality comedy
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment...scar-1.4562693

Quote:
A man has been arrested and accused of stealing Frances McDormand's Oscar trophy after the Academy Awards, Los Angeles police say.

Officer Rosario Herrera, a police spokeswoman, said 47-year-old Terry Bryant was arrested Sunday night on suspicion of felony grand theft.
Quote:
A video posted live on a Facebook page that appeared to belong to Bryant showed him kissing and flaunting a statuette during the Governors Ball.

"Look it, baby. My team got this tonight. This is mine," he said, turning the trophy toward the camera, before kissing it on the head.

As he spun around in a circle, Bryant solicited congratulations from those around him.

"Who wants to wish me congratulations?" he asked fellow revelers who were walking by, before posing for several selfies.

"You know what? I can't believe I got this."
Old 03-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #48
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Just like when Kramer won his Tony! I wonder if he has to fire Francis now for not swinging her arms when tap dancing?
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:44 PM   #49
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:

I look at what Mike Myers did in Austin Powers playing multiple characters (all very different) and I wonder how many big-time actors could pull that off? Some of these elite actors play versions of the same character over and over, and keep winning awards. I think it can be very difficult to be a comic actor, and they don't get much respect.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #50
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I think that is a decent example of an acting performance that could be nominated, even if it wouldn't likely win.

Putting on a great comedic performance is a difficult feat for sure.

I definitely think the Oscars need to do a better job of recognizing movies that could win in individual categories that aren't going to win BP. I think it is unlikely that the best acting, writing, cinematography, editing, costumes all come from the same 5 movies every year.

Sure, having the complete package is gonna help BP but sometimes movies do one or two of those things really well and get no recognition for it at all.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #51
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know why the Academy doesn't just add a best comedy category like they have at the Golden Globes.

And I can't believe there's still no category for stunt work. Those people work just as hard, if not harder than any of the usual acting, writing, or technical categories. Not to mention constantly putting their lives at risk while on set.

These scenes from Death Proof alone should have earned Zoe Bell an Oscar:

Or pick any scene from Mad Max Fury Road.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 03:22 PM   #52
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't get excited about the Academy Awards. I left after the opening monologue. That's 10 minutes more than I gave it any previous year.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #53
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
What it boils down to is that BP nominees are usually films that resonate with audiences and leave a lasting impression. The drama genre is best suited to create those types of films. It's not bias in my opinion.
I was trying to think about what the definition of best picture should be and I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Resonate with Audiences and leave a lasting impression.

Based on this

Beverly Hills Cop should have won the best picture in 1985.

The nominees were
Amadeus
The killing fields
A passage to India
Places in the heart
A Soliders story

Which picture left a greater impression. Though the killing fields is quite good.

Regardless of what wins best picture next year at the Oscars the movie that will resonate and leave the audience with a lasting impression is Black Panther. This past year it was probably Wonder Women or maybe Coco. (Which if it had been live action and had a teen go on the same journey would have won best picture but it was discounted for bein a kids movie) Movies that capture the Zietgeist of the moment in time they are released. These movies were all about people seeing themselves in the center of culture for the first time and will be remembered as such.

I think the best picture Category is really the best picture that fits the Oscar format. In 5 years what movies will you remember from 2017. For me it's probably Coco or Get Out.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #54
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

The problem with having "lasting impression" as the criteria is that sometimes this takes years to determine. Or something that was a cultural phenomenon at the time is laughed about only a few years later.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 PM   #55
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I was trying to think about what the definition of best picture should be and I think you have hit the nail on the head here. Resonate with Audiences and leave a lasting impression.

Based on this

The nominees were
Amadeus
The killing fields
A passage to India
Places in the heart
A Soliders story

Which picture left a greater impression. Though the killing fields is quite good.

Regardless of what wins best picture next year at the Oscars the movie that will resonate and leave the audience with a lasting impression is Black Panther. This past year it was probably Wonder Women or maybe Coco. (Which if it had been live action and had a teen go on the same journey would have won best picture but it was discounted for bein a kids movie) Movies that capture the Zietgeist of the moment in time they are released. These movies were all about people seeing themselves in the center of culture for the first time and will be remembered as such.

I think the best picture Category is really the best picture that fits the Oscar format. In 5 years what movies will you remember from 2017. For me it's probably Coco or Get Out.
Yeah, I was just going to point out that The Killing Fields by far left the most significant impression on me. But, as others have pointed out, it's not the best metric by which to measure art. There needs to be a technical appreciation of how the film was crafted as well. This is why The Shape of Water won out over 3 Billboards... because it was the technically superior film. On the whole, I think both films leave significant impressions on the audiences, with excellence in screenplay, direction, acting etc. Add in the artistic/technical component in The Shape of Water, and I think that's what put it over the top this year.

I agree with your post for the most part. I think that your point about capturing the Zeitgeist is especially important. But these are voted on by fellow filmmakers, not the population at large. They're always going to have different criteria than the viewing public when determining the best films. Maybe that needs to change, but I sure don't want it turning into the People's Choice awards. Those suck.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:16 PM   #56
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Killing fields lost to Amadaeus that year so even amoung the nominees they got it wrong. I agree it shouldn't be a people's choice award as then it would just reflect box office take but I think the rewarding of the same movie each year needs to change. I'm not sure how you do it but I think you can see from the nominations post expansion of the academy that more variety is being included so that is a start and should as old people die off lead to broader more popular appeal.

In one sense you could argue that the shape of water Win is a sign of this change as a Monster Movie won best picture from a director that used to do comic book movies. I just am not a fan of it.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #57
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Amadeus is a masterpiece. F Murray Abraham gave the performance of a lifetime.

Beverly Hills Cop was fun but it’s a fairly hollow movie. Just because it was popular doesn’t mean it had a more significant impact or longer lasting impression.

Amadeus is hardly a forgotten movie.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #58
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Based on this

The nominees were
Amadeus
The killing fields
A passage to India
Places in the heart
A Soliders story

You think Black panther will leave a lasting impression?

I don’t think it will be talked about much after Infinity Wars comes out in 2 months.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #59
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You think Black panther will leave a lasting impression?

I don’t think it will be talked about much after Infinity Wars comes out in 2 months.
Amoung African American communities, yes. Will it impact future casting decisions and what movies can get made? Probably. So I think it will have a lasting impact 5 years from now.

Infinity War is going to be bad. The End of a Macguffin Hunt is never satisfying.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #60
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Amoung African American communities, yes. Will it impact future casting decisions and what movies can get made? Probably. So I think it will have a lasting impact 5 years from now.
Probably not.

You kind of nailed the point yourself by mentioning Beverly Hills Cop. The same people in love with Black Panther for it's featuring of black heroes, don't even remember that movie.
If people couldn't remember there were black actions heroes before Black Panther, they'll forget about Black Panther too.

Blade, Morpheus(Matrix), Michael B Jordan in Fantastic Four, Many films by Will Smith, Wesley Snipes, Eddie Murphy, Denzel etc..

Black Panther is getting heralded like it's the first time a black actor has been a hero, but that's just not the case.
If all of these other examples were forgotten so easily, it likely will be too from that racial/cultural standpoint.

In 5 years there will be another movie being heralded for finally giving us black heroes.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote