Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #5641
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first half was awesome. I would have loved a sopranos gut to black after Jon kills Dany and Drogon flies off.

The second half of picking the king wasn’t great but it did give our characters a fitting send off. Lots of nitpicks for sure but overall was satisfying.

I would have preferred a more nihilistic ending then the hopeful one we got but I did enjoy that killing Dany brings about some of the change Dany wanted.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #5642
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved how we almost had democracy in Westeros and then everyone laughed at the idea.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #5643
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good enough ending for me. Was hoping for a Sean Bean as a ghost or in a dream cameo...telling Jon what he needed to do. Maybe when season 8 gets redone by hbo. Off to sign the petition
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #5644
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honestly one of the worst endings I could have imagined. All tension was resolved in the first 20 minutes and it just went off a cliff. I can barely articulate how dissatisfying that ending was to an already disappointing season.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #5645
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I loved how we almost had democracy in Westeros and then everyone laughed at the idea.
Are you saying that like they missed an opportunity or they dodged a bullet?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #5646
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
Honestly one of the worst endings I could have imagined. All tension was resolved in the first 20 minutes and it just went off a cliff. I can barely articulate how dissatisfying that ending was to an already disappointing season.
What were you hoping to happen?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #5647
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tyrion made Bronn master of coin

In season 3 he literally had to explain what interest on a loan was to him lol
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #5648
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Tyrion made Bronn master of coin

In season 3 he literally had to explain what interest on a loan was to him lol
Fund the brothels
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #5649
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Poor Sam. He's a man ahead of his time.

Speaking of Sam, he's a Maester now (Grand Maester at that, but I think that's just because he's the Maester for the King). Maesters have to take the same oath that the King's Guard and Night's Watch have to take ... i.e. revoke all claims to any land or titles, take no wife, and father no children.

I guess that means that the nice happy family he has been building with Gilly is over. Sorry, Little Sam and Little Jon, your Daddy had to leave us so he can read books for the King.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #5650
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
What were you hoping to happen?
I was hoping there would actually be consequences to the ending. It just felt like business as usual. The entire cast had essentially a happy ending, Jon’s story as a Targaryen amounted to pretty much nothing, Bran became King out of nowhere after doing nothing for two seasons, Drogon just flew off and was never seen from again, all the stupid meta humour... it was just incredibly unsatisfying.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #5651
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I decided to watch the ending of it, I've been spoiled silly anyways.

I'm also on season 7 episode 4, so I'll probably completely finish GOT off this week.

I didn't mind the ending. BTW I loved Tyrion's speech in the dungeon.

I think that Daeny's fate was sealed as soon as she was going to build a world in her vision and people wouldn't have a choice. It went back to Tyrion's question of killing thousands who stand in the way of paradise.

I tend to think that they wanted to make it clear that Jon's justification of Daeny's actions, losing her best friend and her children was BS. Daeny's was always this way deep down, she deeply believed in her destiny and nothing was going to get in the way of her getting it. In episode 7.3 Cersei really put it into focus for me.

She nailed 163 people to boards. She had her dragon eat people, she employed savage merciless barbarians in the Dothraki and a slave army. Daeny's was always ruthless, her advisers always appealed to her gentle heart, but her gentle heart was always in conflict wit the dragon in her chest.

The Drogan scene looked visually awesome, especially melting the Iron Throne. The laughing at the concept of democracy was great.

Poor Grey Worm, he was on his way to being a whole and real heroic person, and in the end he was pretty much a slave to his anger.

I think the series had to end with the re-establishment of normalcy. The Small Council meeting. Sansa taking power in the North and becoming an independent state. Jon leaving with the Wildings, and Arya setting sail for Brooklyn.

I expect that fans will be outraged that Bran ended up on the throne. Look, the Bran story up to where I am bored the crap out of me. But with the Lannisters wiped out except for Tyrion, and this show really being about the Starks and Lannisters it had to be a Stark, and putting Sansa on the throne or Jon on the throne would have been a fart smelling fan service.

Overall I liked it, it made me mourn a little when Daeny's died, because she tried really hard for a brief second to get past her I guess madness when she was talking to Jon, and then went full blown nut.

Anyways, I'll pop up a review of season 7 when I finish. I will say that I liked the first three episodes with the ending of the Sands family, and Cersei's revenge. But I can see why people hate Euron as a character, because he's not a character, he's a mustache twirling plot. At least with Ramsey he was a fully developed character. Euron is just shouting, look at me I'm evil.

I think the exchange when Jon met Daeny's was interesting because it pointed to the flaws in her character as her first instinct was to look at Jon as a possible enemy when he didn't bent the knee.

I liked the end of House Tryell and the death of Olette (sp?) because she was such a devious character, I also loved the oh F look on Jamie's face when she confessed to killing Joffrey, because the whole premise of Cersei's vengeance on her brother was false.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #5652
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

"So we're in some kind of Game of Thrones??"
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #5653
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got to watch the final show with my daughter and I made a GOT themed dinner... somewhat.

Homemade Beef Barley Soup from Saturday because it was cold and rainy and its kinda medieval.
1 sausage... well because.
1 Chicken Pot Pie, because Pigeon Pie
1 Meat Paddy for Hot Pie
1 Lemon Poppy cupcake for Sansa and Milk of the Poppy
1 Large Goblet of red wine for Tyrion

We sat back and watched the ending to a great series. It was not perfect, but it was alright.
These days with social media and the hyper-critical I'm sure those people would be outraged with the ending to Band of Brothers.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 PM   #5654
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked it, don't need a giant grand mega finale with 23 twists and turns.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #5655
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I made the mistake of perusing online forums during the airings of past great series' and decided to avoid that during the last couple years of this and I'm glad I did. The trouble with social media is anyone who can string a few syllables together gets the same or more airtime than a well thought out critique. Someone wrote 'what was the point of Jon?...' Effen eyeroll. He killed the queen, dummy. This whole series has all but explicitly stated and constantly reinforced the idea that we are all just small cogs in a great machine (or wheel, to use the vernacular of the show), and the point of Jon was "to be exactly where [he] was meant to be" to paraphrase Bran. The series finale was, in my small opinion, absolutely perfect, and to me seemed to predict and address the problems the audience would have after the previous episode.
In season four, I believe, Oberon tells Cersei "we don't hurt little girls in Dorne" to which Cersei replies "everywhere in the world they hurt little girls." The entire series has been 'hurt little girls' from the very first blue-eyed undead in episode 1 to Arya watching her father's beheading to the death of Shereen (and her toy horse) to the girl that Arya tries to save (and her toy horse) and all the other terrified little girls we see in the second last episode... In the final episode when the camera is panning through the rubble at the beginning, what do we see? Dead little girl. So the ultimate hurt little girl in Daenerys gets her dream of a new world order but has to become dead little girl for it to come to pass.
It's impossible for a television show to satisfy the well established and utterly dull tropes and the resultant basic, inane cravings that Joe and Joanne Audience feel entitled to, while at the same time providing thoughtful and interesting television that stays true to both theme and the overarching "point' or 'meaning' of the show, for lack of a better word. IMO, this show took a chance in the second last episode by taking a popular character that some people actually named their children after down a well prepared, questionable, albeit somewhat predictable path, but pulled off a surprising, original, and excellent conclusion to the series. "Edmure... sit down." Probably just easier to type 'garbage,' I guess.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alpha_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #5656
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really a must read interview with Emilia Clarke. Including her thoughts on her character. Having to keep the secret, her brain hemorrhages and her thoughts on the finale and the fans

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...clarke-beyonce

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #5657
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my memory, I will think of the show ending right after the dragon melts the throne. The episode leading up to that was intense, dramatic and great television.

Bit of a letdown after that, but Jaime’s sendoff in the book of knights was nice. That was well done I thought. Bran is just so damn uninteresting and the meeting of the lords to pick a new ruler wasn’t overly interesting.. Tyrion’s speech about stories was drivel.

It’s true that Jon’s true lineage was never really much of a factor. Other than it chilling his relationship with Dany, nothing really came of it. As Tyrion said it made him a threat to her, but at the end she was still trying to win him over.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #5658
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was ok. Think the series deserved something a little edgier, but no major complaints. They obviously wanted to leave a lot open for spinoffs.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #5659
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was mostly filmed in Brexitland so understandable
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:37 PM   #5660
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would love to see an Arya Stark spin off.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote