Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
If I were voting my major consideration would be to ask the question "where would this team be if player x was not on their roster".

McDavid- Oilers would be much worse, but they still suck anyways so not a huge difference

Crosby- This iteration of the penguins might not be a playoff team without him ( so altogether a good vote).

Kucherov - The Lightening would be a little worse off, but still a dominant team.

Mackinnon- The Avs would be a lottery team at worse, and miss the playoffs at best.
That is indeed the criteria. Unless you count jersey sales being valuable to a team.

But then again, where is St. Louis without Binnington? Where is Dallas without Bishop this year?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #42
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I know how it works. The fact that Nathan Mackinnon was not even voted in to the top three by he Professional Hockey Writers' Association is crazy to me.

I wonder if the level of outrage for McKinnon’s lack of votes would have been less prior to the playoffs?

Prior to the playoffs, I’m guessing many here would have felt that Johnny was just as deserving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #43
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I wonder if the level of outrage for McKinnon’s lack of votes would have been less prior to the playoffs?

Prior to the playoffs, I’m guessing many here would have felt that Johnny was just as deserving.

I think that you are on to something. Still, I have been following the Avs for the last 4 years, and it is clear to me that what Mackinnon does for the Avs is almost non-comparable to what Gaudreau brings to the Flames.

Don't get me wrong Gaudreau is a super star, but Mackinnon is probably the 2nd or 3rd best forward in the league.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #44
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Gee thanks for the explanation.

My point is about their playoff performance, or lack thereof. There was a time when a Hart trophy winner meant that team had a distinct advantage, a real weapon that helped the team differentiate themselves from the competition.

This year’s top 3 in Hart voting with zero playoff victories. Kane might be 4th, so top 4.

There a lot of reasons behind this and I actually think it’s rather interesting to ponder.

Seems rather dumb to ponder. It changes nothing that these players were at the top of their game for the regular season. Sh%t happens in the playoffs. By your logic each division winning team should probably be broken up and dismantled because of their 1st round loss.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #45
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Seems rather dumb to ponder. It changes nothing that these players were at the top of their game for the regular season. Sh%t happens in the playoffs. By your logic each division winning team should probably be broken up and dismantled because of their 1st round loss.
Huh? Don't make up stuff I didn't say. What I think is telling about the Hart trophy leaders;

1) Playoff success is wildly different from regular season success. likely more so than any other sport
2) Unlike other major sports, the NHL actually changes their rules from regular season to post season. Not only is the rulebook enforced differently, OT play is simply an entirely different game. No other league does this.
3) Star power doesn't necessarily win you games. Maybe some of these Hart leaders under performed in the playoffs, but having the best player doesn't necessarily seem to correlate to winning.

Kucherov will win the award. So that makes him, Hall and McDavid last three years. Zero team playoff success for those three guys this year.

I guess McDavid is putting up big numbers but I don't think we're talking about greats of the game. Just guys who had great regular seasons.

NHL regular season is too long .
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:56 PM   #46
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post

*prior to the all star break
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote