Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-04-2020, 10:09 PM   #6061
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Many people lament the show going off the rails because they surpassed GRRM's source material.

The real fact of the matter is that GRRM was making crap up as he went along and the show just did the exact same thing.

The story and continuity changes depending on what George had for lunch. I wouldnt get too uptight about it.

No, this was an 8 season long story. You don't get to spend 2-3 seasons building up Bran as having changed into something else. Saying at multiple points he is no longer Bran. Then end it with a quick switch, hey guys Brans back! and Im ready to rule the kingdom I've been saying for 3 seasons is meaningless.

I know your a big protector of the show in here but I thought that made this the worst ending of any show Ive ever watched.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:26 PM   #6062
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh Angel, great ending sequence. They realized they couldn't stop or defeat evil or halt the apocalypse. But they could delay it and make Wolfram and Hart suffer for it. And they all died.

The end, perfect.
That's because it was cancelled three months before the last episode. Josh had planned for more seasons but then got cancelled and came up with that ending.

The canonical comics continuation of Angel got weird quickly, not sure if they could even try translate it to television.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #6063
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
No, this was an 8 season long story. You don't get to spend 2-3 seasons building up Bran as having changed into something else. Saying at multiple points he is no longer Bran. Then end it with a quick switch, hey guys Brans back! and Im ready to rule the kingdom I've been saying for 3 seasons is meaningless.

I know your a big protector of the show in here but I thought that made this the worst ending of any show Ive ever watched.
I'm not actually.

I loved the show and I still think the final season was sub-par. What I'm saying is that we shouldnt be canonizing GRRM. They guy was making things up as he went along. He didnt have a plan. There was no plan. So you cant villainize the showrunners for doing the same.

Remember...the showrunners predicted the ending, which is presumably why GRRM went along for the show. The man made a ton of money for little product.

I'm not a 'Champion of the show' I'm just cautioning people against worshipping GRRM. It seems like people love both the books and the show and then when things went off the rails ignored the fact that a lot of it was GRRM's fault but placing blame squarely at the feet of the showrunners and ignoring GRRM's shortfalls.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #6064
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'm not actually.

I loved the show and I still think the final season was sub-par. What I'm saying is that we shouldnt be canonizing GRRM. They guy was making things up as he went along. He didnt have a plan. There was no plan. So you cant villainize the showrunners for doing the same.

Remember...the showrunners predicted the ending, which is presumably why GRRM went along for the show. The man made a ton of money for little product.

I'm not a 'Champion of the show' I'm just cautioning people against worshipping GRRM. It seems like people love both the books and the show and then when things went off the rails ignored the fact that a lot of it was GRRM's fault but placing blame squarely at the feet of the showrunners and ignoring GRRM's shortfalls.
I thought I remember reading that the test was asking who they thought Jon Snow's real parents were. They guessed right, so he was convinced they were the right team to make the show. He also wanted to make sure they didn't do his ending so he could have something unique to sell in the books.

It's being placed at the showrunners' feet because they deserve it. They messed up the landing. Not that it should get GRRM any credit or leniency. I give the showrunner's credit for omitting Patchface. Good call.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #6065
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I mean honestly I don’t care who’s fault it was. It’s not like this was the ending of Big Bang Theory or How I Met Your Mother. Painstaking and borderline boring hours were poured into building up the story of how Bran became a mystical hundreds of years old entity and then it ends like we were supposed to forget even in the same season where he claims to no longer be Bran and have zero interest in the throne? It felt like they could of used the intro music to Full House at the ending there. Complete joke.

Last edited by Patek23; 12-05-2020 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Incorrect statement
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 11:47 AM   #6066
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

So I finally watched this series over the last few months, and while I didn’t necessarily hate the way it ended…. It could have been a lot better.

I haven’t ventured through this thread much yet so don’t know others’ thoughts. If I’d had my choice though, I’d like to have seen…

- Lannister army surrender, ring the bell
- Dany accept their surrender, and believe that the war is won
- Cersei betray and kill Dany
- Jon kill Cersei, and rightfully take the Iron Throne
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #6067
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
So I finally watched this series over the last few months, and while I didn’t necessarily hate the way it ended…. It could have been a lot better.

I haven’t ventured through this thread much yet so don’t know others’ thoughts. If I’d had my choice though, I’d like to have seen…

- Lannister army surrender, ring the bell
- Dany accept their surrender, and believe that the war is won
- Cersei betray and kill Dany
- Jon kill Cersei, and rightfully take the Iron Throne
Sad thing is, because the books aren't finished, this could potentially happen in them... but G.R.R.M will never finish the books.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:52 PM   #6068
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generic as possible Book Speculation

Spoiler!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #6069
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I thought I remember reading that the test was asking who they thought Jon Snow's real parents were. They guessed right, so he was convinced they were the right team to make the show. He also wanted to make sure they didn't do his ending so he could have something unique to sell in the books.

It's being placed at the showrunners' feet because they deserve it. They messed up the landing. Not that it should get GRRM any credit or leniency. I give the showrunner's credit for omitting Patchface. Good call.
I know this is an old post but....

Purposely setting up the show to have an awful ending, then writing an amazing ending for the book (so that he can sell more books) is such a great way to stick it to hollywood, and seems like something GRRM would do...also dying before he finishes writing the books seems like something he would do too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: