Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #21
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trying to deal with Telus is positively insane. When moving into a new house in mid may, they sent 7 different techs in a 2 week span. None of them knew that someone had been there before them and failed to install internet. None of them knew any details as to why they were having trouble getting internet to our house.

We had spent several hours talking to telus service reps who mostly just passed us along for another 30 minute hold session followed by a new person who needed to identify us and then have our issues explained. One of these calls had a run time of 5 hours and we spoke to 7 different reps... All with the same clueless ambivalence. We finally got some internet through an above ground drop wire that the seventh tech/installer said anyone of the previous guys could have just done if they only knew what the problem was.

They are now saying that the trenching takes over 2 years to get an appointment... I told them I could go tear up my knee, get an ultrasound and a knee surgery in that time frame. She said she didn't know how much it would cost, nor did she know when she would be able to tell us that or when we would be able to get something scheduled. All she knew is that they deleted the recording of when the loyalty rep offered us a cash credit for our internet and that since they are not allowed to do that, it must be made up by me.

Over a 2 week span, I spoke to upwards of 30 telus representatives. 1 of them was able to fix a fairly basic problem. All others had no interest in solving anything. The clearest thing they could communicate in all that time is their annoyance towards me and each other. The thing we heard most often was how the last person we talked to didn't know what they were talking about. I dream of a world where they are forced to compete in their market place and get absolutely rolled.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
The general tone, use of caps, and exclamation points
Yes, heaven forbid I use features of our language to express how stupid I think Telus is. Using punctuation doesn't make something a hissy fit.

Anyway, clearly you have some reason to support a horrible company that treats it's customers like trash I don't know what that reason is. I've never understood cheer leading for corporations. But apparently you are imagining that their lawyers are sticking up for the poor confused consumers and not trying to line their pockets with a frivolous pointless lawsuit. Which is all this is.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have Telus email hosting for our business. It was mighty nice of them to flag email from Shaw Business as spam. Total accident, right?

Against my better judgement a sales guy called a few weeks ago to upgrade our Telus internet(just a backup to Shaw) and it would save us $20/ month for the first year, and $10/month after that. Fine, whatever, do your thing.

Unfortunately our building management just transitioned, and they haven't responded to a request for access to the telecom room. So I had to call to postpone it. They sent me an email with the info, but it is a "do not respond" account. The phone number is the generic Telus one. So you go through the phone prompts, none of which match "I need to rebook an appointment" so 45 minutes later I get a guy who says he can have the installation team call me within 24 hours. That was Thursday afternoon, and they are coming Friday morning. You can see how this is not ideal. So I ask him just to give me their number. No can do. Can you transfer me? No, I don't have their info. So you are a phone company and a customer can't use a phone to get in contact? Well that's just brilliant.

So I email the sales guy, and he is finally able to get in touch with them. What a stupid system. Maybe provide customers with the number for the installations dept when you send out an email with installation info? Crazy thought, right? Why is it every time I have to deal with these guys it's a disaster?

Last edited by Fuzz; 06-22-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The installer was around this morning so I made a trip to the office. I get the building guy, and they take a look. Big surprise here, fibre has only been brought to the building. They are still in the process of bringing it to the floors, and then the suites. I specifically asked the sales guy in June if our office was wired for fibre. "Oh, yes, that's why I'm calling." How does not one person in this company realize the massive waste of time and money it is to sell services that aren't available?

So I'll wait a few weeks, and try again.

I also got stung by 2 wasps when I got home, so I'm blaming that on Telus, too.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:56 PM   #25
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just got a Telus security system installed on Monday. Pretty happy with it so far, can’t wait to see Fuzz get stung by more wasps and shake his fist at the sky yelling “damn you telus” on the great HD security camera they installed outside.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gundo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #26
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Telus has some great plans now for cellphones.

I think I am paying 75$ a month flat (w tax) for 20 gigs of data and unlimited calling and texts.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #27
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

I think I am paying 75$ a month flat (w tax) for 20 gigs of data and unlimited calling and texts.
Did you have to sign a contract? I went with Bell in same plan because they didn’t have a term attached.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #28
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #29
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Did you have to sign a contract? I went with Bell in same plan because they didn’t have a term attached.
Most plans now don't make you sign a contract, unless you are getting a new device.

Also, if your work has Telus for corporate phones, you most likely with have an employee discount. Telus calls this their Exclusive Partner Program (EPP). It wasn't advertised at my work but I just entered in my work address and I was able to register. It's worth a shot to try it.

Telus EPP

I pay $67.20 including tax for the 20GB unlimited data plan. The EPP also gives you a discount on home service, so I signed up for that too and paying $65 for their 1GB fibre internet and Pik TV (basic channels), so saving quite a bit there.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #30
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok I will need to check again. Late last year my EPP with Telus wanted 2 year agreement on any plan, and that was BYOD
Old 07-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #31
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Do they even make you sign contracts anymore, if you aren't buying a device through them?

I have't had a contracts with any cell company in 10 years so I figured they were a thing of the past.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #32
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do they even make you sign contracts anymore, if you aren't buying a device through them?

I have't had a contracts with any cell company in 10 years so I figured they were a thing of the past.
Now it's basically a 0% financing plan over 24 months for a device.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 10:35 PM   #33
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

TELUS does or at least did recently.

I made it to the final screen of EPP as I was ready to sign up on the plan they had and backed out specifically because of the 2 year agreement and stayed with Bell who had no term.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:46 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

$900 a year...is this really a good deal? Canadian cell phone rates are ridiculous
Old 08-12-2020, 09:39 PM   #35
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Telus putting fibre optic into our community - you have to sign up to get connected (no obligation to sign up right away but should you want in the future).

Shaw internet has not been the greatest for us. Anyone with experience on how disruptive to your yard it is for them to connect your house?

As well, Telus Fibre sounds good in theory? What is real life experience like?
Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #36
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
$900 a year...is this really a good deal? Canadian cell phone rates are ridiculous
I see telus has $45 for 4.5GB if you do pay as you go, not bad.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:48 PM   #37
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I have found the US cheaper but the service there is much worse. LTE down there is closer to 3G here. Signals in big cities are harder to get than here.

I still think we are too high, but Canada and US are no the same quality in my experience
Old 08-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #38
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Telus putting fibre optic into our community - you have to sign up to get connected (no obligation to sign up right away but should you want in the future).

Shaw internet has not been the greatest for us. Anyone with experience on how disruptive to your yard it is for them to connect your house?

My apartment has Fibre and it's been nothing but reliable. Not sure what the house install process looks like, but in my apartment they had to drill a single wire so pretty minimally invasive (I think there's more hardware in the building's utility room however).

If it's anywhere visible, make sure they use the super thin wire, not the standard chunky one. Other than that, I would highly recommend it.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #39
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, not that big of a disruption to your yard. Might have to overseed or even resod if they have to cut out a larger area for an access box, but its not going to be that big of a mess and its all worth it.

I have now upgraded all the way to their gigabit plan and its great - full ~960 up and down and never have any issues with it.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #40
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It was pretty disruptive to my yard - ended up with a pair of ~2 m x 2 m holes after their initial holes caved in, and they didn't replace the edging on my garden after digging it out. But looking around the community that seems to be a minority experience. The poor quality re-seeding (full of weeds) is more common. But I expect eventually it will be back to normal.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post: