Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #221
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Maurice has a camera angle that shows Evans intensionally injured himself
I lol'd
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:37 PM   #222
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Sounds like your trying to minimize it. Are you a Jets fan, not that it matters but it might explain why your turning it into n innocent harmless play? He definitely hit a defenseless player at full speed, that much is clear.
First, I am not a Jets fan. I don't really have a rooting interest in this series, aside from wanting it to be a sweep for someone - now that Montreal has won Game 1, I want them to win the next 3.

Second, I don't think it was an "innocent, harmless play". It was clearly not harmless. A guy went off on a stretcher. But the people describing what happened are in fantasy land. They're talking about things that did not happen. Which is insane, because there's video evidence of it.

Third, I don't think it was at full speed - If he'd wanted to skate straight into the hit he could have. He stopped skating well before.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #223
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No, you are wrong. The play isn't over. The puck isn't even in the net yet when the hit is made. It's nowhere close when he commits to the hit. And he didn't "skate through the guy full speed" - he stopped skating well before contact was made.

It's like you didn't even watch the thing. You're describing an entirely different play from what actually happened.

You might be right about this; I have no idea what the league will do.

You’re right, I am right. The league will not be fine with this

You didn’t see him load up and drive the shoulder through him? How many the hell body checks are thrown by guys still striding?

Lol How the heck did I not watch it? You’re the only guy here who for some bizarre reason is okay with this.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:38 PM   #224
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I saw it twice and it looked like an elbow to the head to me, Evan's head even snapped back. He was moving his hands after though so that's a good sign. I hope he's okay.
You can't have hits like that though, I'm guessing 1-2 games here for Sheifele.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #225
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scheifele could have eased up on the hit. I think they still would have collided but an injury would likely have been avoided if Scheifele tried to avoid a big hit. He clearly followed through with the hit after the puck was in the net. Intent to injure. I'm sure he didn't want him to leave the game on a stretcher or anything serious but he wanted to send a message for next game. He went overboard. Suspension incoming. I hit a random number generator and it will be 2 games.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #226
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First, I am not a Jets fan. I don't really have a rooting interest in this series, aside from wanting it to be a sweep for someone - now that Montreal has won Game 1, I want them to win the next 3.

Second, I don't think it was an "innocent, harmless play". It was clearly not harmless. A guy went off on a stretcher. But the people describing what happened are in fantasy land. They're talking about things that did not happen. Which is insane, because there's video evidence of it.

Third, I don't think it was at full speed - If he'd wanted to skate straight into the hit he could have. He stopped skating well before.
No one hits while striding. They always glide a split second before the hit so they can brace and drive into it, just like Scheifele did.

The video evidence shows the puck well into the net before the hit, unlike your description. Did you watch it?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:41 PM   #227
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You didn’t see him load up and drive the shoulder through him? How many the hell body checks are thrown by guys still striding?

Lol How the heck did I not watch it? You’re the only guy here who for some bizarre reason is okay with this.
Of course he drove his shoulder through him. That's what a hit is. That's every hard hit ever. In this case, he stops skating around the hash marks, commits to the hit about a second before contact is made, and boom.

I'm not "okay with this", I don't like to see a guy get hurt, but there are people saying it was a hit to the head (as defined by the NHL rules), or it was interference, or that he left his feet, or that he "skated right through him". Those are all lies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The video evidence shows the puck well into the net before the hit, unlike your description. Did you watch it?
Yes - from the front angle it's clear that it's in the net a split second before contact. It's not off his stick long enough for it to be interference, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #228
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

80 strides and 3 seconds of "letting up"

Sorry guy, that's a charge
Old 06-02-2021, 08:42 PM   #229
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scheifele had been having a dick kind of game to begin with, and he was really running hot right before and after that roughing penalty. It's pretty much impossible to believe he only sprinted down the ice to try and stop an empty net there, he knew he was gonna get a free shot.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #230
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he was going any faster he probably would have hurt himself going into the boards on the follow through.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:43 PM   #231
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
80 strides and 3 seconds of "letting up"

Sorry guy, that's a charge
Like I said, that's the only thing it could be, because charging isn't really defined in the rules. But I dunno, usually if you stop skating well beforehand and aren't going full speed, it's not called as such. But that's the only thing it could realistically be.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #232
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Scheifele had been having a dick kind of game to begin with, and he was really running hot right before and after that roughing penalty. It's pretty much impossible to believe he only sprinted down the ice to try and stop an empty net there, he knew he was gonna get a free shot.
Considering he made zero attempt to stop the goal, yeah.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #233
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like I said, that's the only thing it could be, because charging isn't really defined in the rules. But I dunno, usually if you stop skating well beforehand and aren't going full speed, it's not called as such. But that's the only thing it could realistically be.
Nah.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #234
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Of course he drove his shoulder through him. That's what a hit is. That's every hard hit ever. In this case, he stops skating around the hash marks, commits to the hit about a second before contact is made, and boom.

I'm not "okay with this", I don't like to see a guy get hurt, but there are people saying it was a hit to the head (as defined by the NHL rules), or it was interference, or that he left his feet, or that he "skated right through him". Those are all lies.

Well he was skating, kept his momentum and delivered a huge check on a vulnerable player (words of HNIC panel), went elbow first through the head.
You know that when you are striding, you are still skating right ?

Bieksa said the player was vulnerable and he said Schiefele wanted to go through his man. That’s what I saw, that’s what happened

To be frank, I can’t be bothered with your nonsense here. Lies? Jesus. This is a stupid conversation. I’m out.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 06-02-2021 at 08:47 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #235
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well he was skating, kept his momentum and delivered a huge check on a vulnerable player (words of HNIC panel)
This is all true, which could be charging, and is arguably suspendable. But the rule is pretty vague and inconsistently applied.
Quote:
went elbow first through the head.
You're a liar. This did not happen.
Old 06-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #236
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a mean hit, but I don’t find it dirty.

Scheifele is even gliding as he goes into it. I don’t really like blaming Evans in this situation, but that’s a freaking stupid play by him. Head down wrap around while the Jets are coming back into the zone? So…you’re asking the Jets to just let you tuck it in unchallenged?

It’s a mean friggin hit, but Scheifele is gliding into it, his arm is tucked in…I don’t know.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #237
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's worse than the Kadri hit. I know Schiefle doesn't have the rap sheet that Nazem does, but wow.. that's dirty
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #238
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's a really unnecessary, dangerous, a-hole type of hit.

But I struggle to see which part of the rulebook it actually breaks.

But who knows. He could be suspended for the rest of the series. He could be back next game.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #239
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wow that is the kind of hit I see myself doing in NHL94.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #240
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It’s a mean hit, but I don’t find it dirty.

Scheifele is even gliding as he goes into it. I don’t really like blaming Evans in this situation, but that’s a freaking stupid play by him. Head down wrap around while the Jets are coming back into the zone? So…you’re asking the Jets to just let you tuck it in unchallenged?

It’s a mean friggin hit, but Scheifele is gliding into it, his arm is tucked in…I don’t know.

Scott Stevens would be proud

What year is this?