Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2018, 12:08 AM   #461
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I definitely didn’t get spit on when I saw TLJ, so you probably shouldn’t go back to that theatre.

And what’s your comparison for episode I? What’s its lead-in? Jedi? Because Jedi was the weakest of the original trilogy and it was still awesome. Episode I fell off a cliff compared to the original trilogy. Way, way, way further than TFA to TLJ.
If I'm honest, I was less critical of the prequels when they first came out than I am now. Part of that s we've had a lot of Sci Fi and Fantasy series raise the bar since then, and in contrast the prequels look even worse. I just didn't dislike the prequels as much when I was younger, so it's difficult for me to state anything objectively.

And I guess the prequels were still fresh in my mind when Episode 7 came out, while Episodes 4-6 came out a generation prior to Episode 1. The prequels feel like modern (but bad) movies to me while the original trilogy feels like a classic.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:39 AM   #462
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Star Wars 1 - The Phantom Menace

What I liked

Palpatine, Ian Mcdarmid is just simply awesome, and the underlying political games that he was playing and how he was manipulating everthing in this movie was great.

Obi-Wan and Qui-gon - The casting was brilliant, and they were both amazing in their roles.

Darth Maul - He was the cool and silent type, but his fighting skills were awesome

What I disliked

Jar Jar - Too childish, the CGI didn't look good
Anakin was too young - I would have liked him to be a teenager instead
The slavery was too slavery light - They could have really built a base for his turn if he was an actual slave and he and his mother were mistreated.
The Gungans and Neimodians were just too racially stereotyped.

Star Wars 2 - Attack of the clones

What I liked

Palpatine cast a wide shadow even though he was in two scenes.
Jango Fett - he was awesome in action.
Obi-Wan - Continued his strong performance
Christopher Lee - Just an inspired piece of casting.
Jar Jar dooms the galaxy through his naive nature
We finally saw the clone wars and the concept of it was good.
Palpatine fighting a war on two sides.

What I hated

The dialogue was just awkward and hackneyed.
Over reliance on CGI
Hayden was awkward in the role.
I hate sand . . . come on man.

Revenge of the Sith

Love Palpatine for the first 3/4
The opera house scene.
Ewan continued to be incredibly strong.
The opening space battle looked so cool
The last scenes, Luke, Leia Vader
I loved the idea of the Clone Troopers turning on the Jedi, again it added to the idea of the Jedi trap

What I didn't like

Palpatine doing the monster movie voice.
Nooooooooo
They could have cut some things and added the dialogue from the book when Obi Wan and Anakin fight and when Anakin murdered the trade federation. I would have loved to have seen the seduction scene extended, it was done so well in the book.
I liked the fight between Anakin and Obiwan except for the high ground stuff. But man they should have changed Anakin's style to be more brutal.
She's lost the will to live, come on man, they implied that Vader slaughtered children, but after an encounter with his wife she loses the will to live.
General Grievous, was so much more awesome in the Clone Wars cartoons, but man he was a buffoon in this movie.
The movie really should have ended with more of a montage of the shadow of the Empire falling. I liked the scene at the Death Star, but a clip of Vader killing Jedi would have summed things up a lot more strongly.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #463
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Disagree. Maybe my expectations changed over the years but TLJ was the most disappointing Star Wars movie I’ve seen.
I believe that TLJ is not only the worst Star Wars movie but one of the all-time worst movies ever. I was disappointed after first viewing but upon watching it the 2nd time I realized that this was not just a bad Star Wars movie, this was the mother of all bad sci-fi movies. Solo is an absolute masterpiece in comparison. Masterpiece!

I really think Disney needs to stop making these movies and access what they are doing wrong because they are running the franchise into the ground to the point younger generations aren't interested in it. My 12 and 10 year old boys didn't even want to watch Solo as the moment they heard it was a Star Wars movie they wanted nothing to do with it. I think we older adults need to come to grips with the fact that Star Wars has basically become Twilight for Adults.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-09-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 AM   #464
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Disagree. Maybe my expectations changed over the years but TLJ was the most disappointing Star Wars movie I’ve seen.
Well we're going to disagree then because as a Star Wars fan I was super pumped for The Phantom Menace because Star Wars was back!

I lined up to see it on the first day. First and only time ever. I skipped school. Albeit that wasnt uncommon.

Sitting in the theater and Jar Jar shows up and thinking; "Okay, this is stupid but its Star Wars, its going somewhere with this, its okay.

This podrace is stupid, his nemesis is stupid but its okay, its Star Wars, its going somewhere with this..."

Until you walk out of the theater at the end and think to yourself...WTF was that?

So, sorry, saying TLJ was 'The Worst Star Wars film ever' is nothing but pure hyperbole.

It might be the 4th worst Star Wars film ever, but its not even close to 'The Worst.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #465
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well we're going to disagree then because as a Star Wars fan I was super pumped for The Phantom Menace because Star Wars was back!

I lined up to see it on the first day. First and only time ever. I skipped school. Albeit that wasnt uncommon.

Sitting in the theater and Jar Jar shows up and thinking; "Okay, this is stupid but its Star Wars, its going somewhere with this, its okay.

This podrace is stupid, his nemesis is stupid but its okay, its Star Wars, its going somewhere with this..."

Until you walk out of the theater at the end and think to yourself...WTF was that?

So, sorry, saying TLJ was 'The Worst Star Wars film ever' is nothing but pure hyperbole.

It might be the 4th worst Star Wars film ever, but its not even close to 'The Worst.'
Like I said it's more than that. One of the all time worst movies ever.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #466
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think we older adults need to come to grips with the fact that Star Wars has basically become Twilight for Adults.
I wouldn't go as far as putting TLJ in the pantheon of worst movies ever made. the Twilight series is the holy trinity of horrific script, laughable acting and SyFy-level production value. but at least Twilight could probably say that it more or less gave its fans what they wanted. I don't remember those movies coming out and creating an irreparable schism among Stephenie Meyer worshipers.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #467
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
lol. I'm not even sure what the point of this type of hyperbole is. Are you intentionally trying to troll the thread or do you just enjoy having no credibility whatsoever?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #468
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of its place as a part of an overall universe and saga, TLJ is one of the worse missteps ever made. Sure it was shot fine, acting was decent, and the special effects were great. But a terrible song played perfectly is still a terrible song.

I struggle to think of any other film in a multi part series that actively tried to discredit everything that people actually loved about the existing series, and then try to sell it as some sort of genius revitalization. So not only was it terrible, it was pretentious about being terrible. Luke's lightsabre toss was truly symbolic of what that movie was. All after Abrams did a good job revitalizing the Star Wars feeling in TFA, it just got flushed. There is good reason the movie is so vilified by people, and its not just because people are being trolls.

I actually think its hyperbole to say it was a good entry in the series, in any way.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #469
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
In terms of its place as a part of an overall universe and saga, TLJ is one of the worse missteps ever made. Sure it was shot fine, acting was decent, and the special effects were great. But a terrible song played perfectly is still a terrible song.

I struggle to think of any other film in a multi part series that actively tried to discredit everything that people actually loved about the existing series, and then try to sell it as some sort of genius revitalization. So not only was it terrible, it was pretentious about being terrible. Luke's lightsabre toss was truly symbolic of what that movie was. All after Abrams did a good job revitalizing the Star Wars feeling in TFA, it just got flushed. There is good reason the movie is so vilified by people, and its not just because people are being trolls.

I actually think its hyperbole to say it was a good entry in the series, in any way.
That's not what hyperbole means.

I enjoyed it well enough. It was a decent entry in the series. Some might say good.

Hyperbole would be calling it the greatest movie ever made.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #470
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You see....the problem is that this is just objectively untrue.

Its not one of 'The Worst Movies Ever.'

It just isnt. Its not even in that conversation. It was disappointing and meandering but it wasnt complete dogcrap.

It just wasnt. It was not that bad and you're being hyperbolic for effect.

Hey, I wasnt a big fan of the film, but if I was forced to watch it again at gunpoint they wouldnt have to use toothpicks to force my eyes open.

The prequels however.....if they forced my eyes open with toothpicks I'd still try and shut them....consequences be damned.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #471
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You see....the problem is that this is just objectively untrue.

Its not one of 'The Worst Movies Ever.'

It just isnt. Its not even in that conversation. It was disappointing and meandering but it wasnt complete dogcrap.

It just wasnt. It was not that bad and you're being hyperbolic for effect.

Hey, I wasnt a big fan of the film, but if I was forced to watch it again at gunpoint they wouldnt have to use toothpicks to force my eyes open.

The prequels however.....if they forced my eyes open with toothpicks I'd still try and shut them....consequences be damned.
The prequels are 15-20 years old! Of course they haven't aged well. Heck outside of the Empire Strikes back none of the Star Wars movies have aged well. Nobody hated those movies upon release as much then as they did TLJ and none of them drove movie viewers away. Episodes 1, 2, 3 were varying degrees of mediocre/bad but they never sunk the franchise. TLJ is the first movie that's may have irreparably damaged the franchise and that's because it's a really, really bad movie. I'm not alone on this as there's hundreds of websites that feel TLJ has killed Star Wars. It was that bad. It fully deserves a spot in my personal list of all time worst movies such as Armageddon, Transformers, Battlefield Earth, Spiderman 3, etc.

My kids and their friends no longer want to watch Star Wars movies after TLJ. This should be terrifying for Disney.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-09-2018 at 12:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #472
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The prequels are 15-20 years old! Of course they haven't aged well. Heck outside of the Empire Strikes back none of the Star Wars movies have aged well. Nobody hated those movies upon release as much then as they did TLJ and none of them drove movie viewers away. Episodes 1, 2, 3 were varying degrees of mediocre/bad but they never sunk the franchise. TLJ is the first movie that's may have irreparably damaged the franchise and that's because it's a really, really bad movie. I'm not alone on this as there's hundreds of websites that feel TLJ has killed Star Wars. It was that bad. It fully deserves a spot in my personal list of all time worst movies such as Armageddon, Transformers, Battlefield Earth, Spiderman 3, etc.

My kids and their friends no longer want to watch Star Wars movies after TLJ. This should be terrifying for Disney.
I'll grant you Spiderman 3, but still this contender for 'Worst Movie of all time' nonsense has to stop.

Look, I wasnt impressed but it was still a decent film.

Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #473
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:

I watched Solo, because my 8 year old nephew wanted me to go and I enjoyed it.

But TLJ soured me heavily on Star Wars and I have to agree with Erick, it might be one of the worst movies I have ever sat through (again, for my nephew, without him there I would have walked out about 15 minutes in).

The entire movie is cringe worthy with barely a redeeming scene in it.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #474
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Look, I wasnt impressed but it was still a decent film.
I think some of you need to get over the fact that it's only your opinion only that it was decent. Most people didn't like it as per it's audience score of 45% on Rotten Tomatoes being the only Star Wars movie below 50%.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-09-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:04 PM   #475
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I'm not sure why I'm bothering since clearly you're just throwing stuff out there but I'll respond anyways.

Quote:
The prequels are 15-20 years old! Of course they haven't aged well.
This makes no sense. What do you mean of course they didn't age well? Tons of movies age well. Jurassic Park still looks great and it quite a bit older than the prequels. Tons of movies from the last 20 years have aged perfectly fine. They didn't age well because they sucked to begin with.

Quote:
Heck outside of the Empire Strikes back none of the Star Wars movies have aged well.
So you don't even like Star Wars in the first place. The original trilogy is a masterpiece.

Quote:
Nobody hated those movies upon release as much then as they did TLJ and none of them drove movie viewers away.
Tons of people hated them way more than TLJ, still do to this day, and rightfully so.

Quote:
Episodes 1, 2, 3 were varying degrees of mediocre/bad but they never sunk the franchise.
Outside of about 10 minutes they were totally bad. Often times cringeworthy funny bad. The way movies of that nature aren't supposed to be.

Are you actually thinking about what you're saying here? You're defending the prequels as being better movies than TLJ. I know you're pot committed at this point but it would be better for everyone involved if you just admitted you're trolling.

Quote:
TLJ is the first movie that's may have irreparably damaged the franchise and that's because it's a really, really bad movie. I'm not alone on this as there's hundreds of websites that feel TLJ has killed Star Wars. It was that bad. It fully deserves a spot in my personal list of all time worst movies such as Armageddon, Transformers, Battlefield Earth, Spiderman 3, etc.
If the prequels didn't damage the franchise, nothing will. They were far, far worse than TLJ in every conceivable way.

You can rank it with your all time worst movies all you want but Locke is right, it isn't anywhere close.

Quote:
I can guarantee you Disney doesn't care. If the prequels didn't kill star wars, nothing will.

People like to pretend that TLJ created some vast organized group of fans who hate Disney but in reality it is just a function of our times. Far, far more people hate the prequels because they are trash. We just have better ways to share our opinions with likeminded people than we did 20 years ago.

For every you and your friends, there are 100 people who still love Star Wars just fine.

All its gonna take is one good movie and you'll be right back on the hype train with everyone else. Although it seems you never really liked Star Wars to begin with but if the prequels didn't drive you away from Star Wars permanently, nothing will.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #476
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cecil stop wasting your time. I'm not reading your posts. I have no time for anyone going out of their way to defend TLJ. You could be defending Glen Gulutzan's work as Flames head coach and I may have more of a passing interest than why you think TLJ isn't the worst Star Wars movie.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #477
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
I think some of you need to get over the fact that it's your opinion only that it was decent. Most people didn't like it as per it's audience score of 45% on Rotten Tomatoes being the only Star Wars movie below 50%.
You're right. Opinions should have perspective.

Man...we're more or less arguing the same side here. I didnt think it was a good movie, but it was not one of the worst movies ever.

It just wasnt.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #478
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
You're right. Opinions should have perspective.

Man...we're more or less arguing the same side here. I didnt think it was a good movie, but it was not one of the worst movies ever.

It just wasnt.
Locke stop defending TLJ. EE clearly is above all that and has better things to do. Like defend the prequels lol.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #479
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A research paper came out last week indicating that a significant percentage of the negative backlash to TLJ came from Russian trolls...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1046885009834090496

Quote:
The results of the social media study presented in this paper presents evidence that political influence through manipulation of social media discussions is no longer exclusive to political debate but can now also be found in pop culture.

Specifically, this study examines a collection of tweets relating to a much-publicized fan dispute over the Star Wars franchise film Episode VII: The Last Jedi. The study finds evidence of deliberate, organized political influence measures disguised as fan arguments.

The likely objective of these measures is increasing media coverage of the fandom conflict, thereby adding to and further propagating a narrative of widespread discord and dysfunction in American society. Persuading voters of this narrative remains a strategic goal for the U.S. alt-right movement, as well as the Russian Federation.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #480
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know.....

If the Russians actually put this much effort into something productive it'd be amazing.

Just expending this much energy into nonsense seems like a waste of their abilities.