Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #281
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
anyone using netflix canada should read this thread http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=100692
Don't waste too much time showing people this, I have a friend at work that has netflix and does nothing but complain about their selection so I tell him about this and offer to help him and he says "seems like too much work, I will think about it". Most people are content to complain about something but too lazy to do anything about it.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #282
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya totally agree. For 4 bucks more a month and 30 seconds of setup time I highly reccomend it!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #283
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am really tempted to do that. Right now my mom has the subscription and I just use her account, but this is very tempting to try. Just buy a new card every 6 months.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #284
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

or just make ur moms computer run the us one as well and u still get it for free!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #285
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it is going to keep jumping back and forth in quality during the shows, it isn't even worth $8 a month.

Very disappointing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #286
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
or just make ur moms computer run the us one as well and u still get it for free!
True, but we would still need a Pre-paid card as both our Visa's our Canadian.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #287
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
If it is going to keep jumping back and forth in quality during the shows, it isn't even worth $8 a month.

Very disappointing.

I always get hd when available call shaw?
Old 01-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #288
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How many streams can you run simultaneously? Could 2 people share an account and watch something at the same time?
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #289
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I would assume so I have been sharing an account with my brother and never had a problem. We are in different house holds. I am now sharing an account with silentism for my USflix since he can't get gift cards out in halifax so we will see if we ever run into any problems
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #290
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone having trouble with HD streaming an Shaw? This evening I tried watching a couple of movies on the PS3 and it always played at Medium (SD) quality rather than HD (the movies indicated they were HD). I've been running a few tests on speedtests.net and I'm averaging over 15 Mb/s to most places (SE USA I get 10 Mb/s) so I think I have even bandwidth for HD but it's not playing it. A month ago it was selecting HD.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #291
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Anyone having trouble with HD streaming an Shaw? This evening I tried watching a couple of movies on the PS3 and it always played at Medium (SD) quality rather than HD (the movies indicated they were HD). I've been running a few tests on speedtests.net and I'm averaging over 15 Mb/s to most places (SE USA I get 10 Mb/s) so I think I have even bandwidth for HD but it's not playing it. A month ago it was selecting HD.
I'll have to try it out tonight and check - I haven't used it for a few days. Shaw recently lowered and started enforcing bandwidth caps, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they also started throttling Netflix traffic as well. I don't know how to check this out myself, but I never had any problem getting to HD-quality within a minute or so of watching a show/movie.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 AM   #292
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I'll have to try it out tonight and check - I haven't used it for a few days. Shaw recently lowered and started enforcing bandwidth caps, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they also started throttling Netflix traffic as well. I don't know how to check this out myself, but I never had any problem getting to HD-quality within a minute or so of watching a show/movie.
It would surprise me greatly. Throttling and charging for overages seems to me to be on the opposite ends of the spectrum as far as strategies to employ. If, as people claim, Shaw is just trying to earn some money by charging for bandwidth use then why would they spend even more money to make their customers experience worse, and preventing them from giving them that money?

My guess, if I had to make one, was that Netflix has become very popular since it's introduction to the Canadian marketplace and it is very possible that their infrastructure is not quite up to par with the demand.

Then again, maybe I am on crack.

edit: I can't even test it because I have canceled my Netflix for this semester because the easy access to TV would kill me time and I want to see what my usage is without it, to see if I need to factor in an increased package from Shaw into my cost for it.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #293
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Fair enough Rathji. I realize that I'm feeling a little jilted lately. I actually just got off of the phone with Shaw because my so-called Extreme plan is maxing out at about 7 Mbps if I'm lucky. To their credit, they are sending out a tech for me this time, but in a couple of previous calls they've just been brushing me off and saying that it is my router, even though the speed is the same when directly connected. OK - end rant.

But you bring up a good point - Netflix's servers are probably pretyt busy, especially because the streaming option is picking up in popularity in the US as well. I'd imagine that they all go through the same servers for both the US and Canadian versions.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #294
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

My quality jumps back and forth constantly when playing it through a console (Xbox360). Terribly frustrating.

I am also with Shaw.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #295
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm currently watching a documentary on Netflix called "steep" about the first skiers who started taking on very steep terrain. It's pretty cool. Russic recommends.

I also watched "Blood into Wine" about Maynard James Keenan (lead singer of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer) and his quest to create a vineyard in Arizona. If you're into wine at all it's kinda cool.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:07 AM   #296
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I also watched "Blood into Wine" about Maynard James Keenan (lead singer of Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer) and his quest to create a vineyard in Arizona. If you're into wine at all it's kinda cool.
I've got this one on my list to watch. I'm more a fan of wine than I am of Tool and his other bands, but it looks like an interesting documentary.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #297
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I've got this one on my list to watch. I'm more a fan of wine than I am of Tool and his other bands, but it looks like an interesting documentary.
You'll like it then. His role in music is almost purposefully toned back to focus on the wine. The quality of the video is excellent as well.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #298
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any beer movies on Netflix USA?
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #299
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm currently watching a documentary on Netflix called "steep" about the first skiers who started taking on very steep terrain. It's pretty cool.
Yup, great movie.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #300
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had Netflix for 10 days running wirelessy through my Wii and I havn't had a single problem. I watched Big Love in HD on Bell. Then watched Mad Men on Netflix immediately afterwards and couldn't detect a difference in quality.