Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #121
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
IMO the bolded part says alot about the team. One injury, a coaches decision, whatever it may be this team has a difficult time recovering from anything.

Now I'm all for changing the lines as you describe, but IMO it doesn't get us too far. The makeup of this team should have been tweaked after the CO series and again last season. Because it's not like one trade changes everything.

This team is not progressing. At all.

See, for me, I will point back to the article the guy from Brock made where he used video showing the Flames trying to force everything strong side with tunnel vision, with the weak side D not providing an option or support, and often with the wing stationary at the far blue line. No amount of enthusiasm is going to elevate a poor plan to the level of genius. The D activation and utilization absolutely has to be looked at.

It’s not that the players can’t adjust. I fear that the players’ skill level in this case unfortunately overcomes and masks deficiencies in the game plan.

So I agree, I think we should see them using lines we have seen work.

Then they need to look hard at their strategy. I don’t see the problem in team makeup that some do. These three groupings have each, to a line, not just been okay but have outperformed expectations for significant stretches
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #122
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4flames View Post
^^^^ we can’t trade every player. I wonder if there is this mentality with other fan bases?...

Remember that the value coming back is rarely what the player is worth to the team. Especially with a player like Tkachuk.

Don’t forget by the time the dust cleared....all we got for Phaneuf was Matt Stajan...never mind the Iginla, Regehr, Bouw, trades.
When Matt Stajan scored the go-ahead goal against the Canucks in the playoffs in that epic comeback, we won the Phaneuf trade. It took a while, but we did. I really wish people would let that sink in every time this comes up.

Carry on.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 06:06 PM   #123
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
When Matt Stajan scored the go-ahead goal against the Canucks in the playoffs in that epic comeback, we won the Phaneuf trade. It took a while, but we did. I really wish people would let that sink in every time this comes up.

Carry on.

Working out for Calgary in the long run doesn't change the fact that at the time it happened it was a terrible trade. Calgary should have gotten more for a 25 year old defenceman that had recently been a Norris finalist.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #124
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get the sentiment that we won that trade and with out question we did finally win that trade when that goal was scored by Stajan but nothing will take away from the fact that the flames basically traded away a Norris finalist who was entering his supposed peak years while receiving no futures of any kind back... truly a missed opportunity for this franchise who did the right thing in trading Phaneuf but honestly missed on bringing back futures along with what ended up being a solid bottom 6 Centerman in Stajan.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:29 PM   #125
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
I get the sentiment that we won that trade and with out question we did finally win that trade when that goal was scored by Stajan but nothing will take away from the fact that the flames basically traded away a Norris finalist who was entering his supposed peak years while receiving no futures of any kind back... truly a missed opportunity for this franchise who did the right thing in trading Phaneuf but honestly missed on bringing back futures along with what ended up being a solid bottom 6 Centerman in Stajan.
Agreed. He should have at least gotten a similar haul to what the Avs got for Duchene. If Flames had coupled that with savvy drafting, it could have set the Flames up for many years. Instead, they got a couple 3rd line guys (maybe 2nd line if we squint) and a bottom pairing dman, and no futures. That was a horrible trade at the time, considering what Phaneuf was worth then.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 10:14 PM   #126
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Agreed. He should have at least gotten a similar haul to what the Avs got for Duchene. If Flames had coupled that with savvy drafting, it could have set the Flames up for many years. Instead, they got a couple 3rd line guys (maybe 2nd line if we squint) and a bottom pairing dman, and no futures. That was a horrible trade at the time, considering what Phaneuf was worth then.
That and the Gilmour trade are similar in that they were knee-jerk and didn’t seem to canvas the market properly. At least Toronto got nowhere with Phaneuf.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:24 PM   #127
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That and the Gilmour trade are similar in that they were knee-jerk and didn’t seem to canvas the market properly. At least Toronto got nowhere with Phaneuf.
Still makes me angry that Dany Heatly was publicly begging for a trade the summer before they dealt Dion. I’m not his biggest fan or anything, but that’s the kind of return I would have wanted.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #128
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if there’s any way to pry Brady from OTT. Assuming Matthew is prepared to publicly state he will sign long term here and Brady lets it be known he wants to play with his bro. I don’t see Brady doing that to OTT however.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:23 AM   #129
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Wonder if there’s any way to pry Brady from OTT. Assuming Matthew is prepared to publicly state he will sign long term here and Brady lets it be known he wants to play with his bro. I don’t see Brady doing that to OTT however.

Friedman should call his agent and ask if Brady would like to play with his brother
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 11:37 AM   #130
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I’d do the trade the other way. What can we get from Ottawa? Stutzle+?

I’m concerned we’ve already seen the best Tkachuk has to give, based on his skating alone. And I think he might be a guy who struggles with consistency going forward. Ottawa can better absorb his cap now and at re-up time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #131
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only thing I will take as a positive from Tkachuk's recent play is that I haven't heard anyone refer to him as "future captain" in days.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #132
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Tkachuk isn't involved and not playing well his skating really stands out. Terrible skater.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #133
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post

Carry on.
Lol not even close. That trade was always a huge loss- just for the opportunity value. Gms publicly said they would have given us superior packages if Phaneuf had been properly shopped.

It was just icing on the #### cake that Stajan was virtually a non-factor or a detriment 98% of his time here. Fine person off the ice, and I have really enjoyed his commentary lately, but don't mistake one good goal for a net positive contribution
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #134
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Working out for Calgary in the long run doesn't change the fact that at the time it happened it was a terrible trade. Calgary should have gotten more for a 25 year old defenceman that had recently been a Norris finalist.
And likely wins the Calder if you didn't have TWO generational talents join the league at the same time (Crosby, Ovi)
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #135
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I can't stand hearing all the praise about Matt Stajan. He was good in the lockerroom, Ya? Well that's great, where did that get us? One memorable goal, and had a shot like a muffin. I felt horrible for him when he lost his son, i cant imagine and would rather not ever have to feel that pain. But in the end, he was a dud.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #136
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
When Tkachuk isn't involved and not playing well his skating really stands out. Terrible skater.
He was a really good pick at 6th overall but you can understand why teams ahead of the Flames passed on him as he's one of the slowest skaters in the league and isn't a factor in the transition game. I'm sure he works on it all the time but it's just not improving and if he's slow at 23 I imagine he's going to be slower in his late 20's. It's why I would rather trade him than sign him to a 7-8 year contract as I see him following a similar trend in his career to Jason Allison.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #137
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

feeling this right now

https://twitter.com/user/status/1362824074695643140
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #138
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
The only thing I will take as a positive from Tkachuk's recent play is that I haven't heard anyone refer to him as "future captain" in days.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #139
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Yep, exactly this.

This team has a culture problem, and if the team has a problem with Tkachuk's approach? You give the "C" to Chucky and move on with him as the leader.

C - Tkachuk
A - Andersson
A - Mangiapane

Those are the players I want leading this team going forward. I don't care about being nice to refs or whatever hell - this team needs an enema to drop the non-competitive culture that has been here for far too long. Giordano and Backlund don't do enough to drive a competitive culture, and with this being a year in and year out problem it's time to make actual change.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #140
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wondering though if Friedman is overselling this Tkachuk closed door meeting thing, which he has been known to do lately because this is so ridiculous to me.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:

Tags
matthew , tkachuk