Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #101
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
So if Buffalo offered Eichel for Tkachuk + Ryan + 1st (I doubt this would be enough for Eichel), you wouldn't take it?

Tkachuk is great, but at the end of the day, he's a left wing.
And his play style gives him a ton of trade value. Like you said, he's the type of guy teams would love to trade for.
Why on earth are we trading a LW for C. WE NEED RIGHT-WINGERS.

I wish people would stop salivating over all these flashy-centers out there. We don't have an NHL-calibre RW in our organization.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #102
CroCop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

He likely realized at some point after the Muzzin incident and players meeting that he would never be Captain of the team here. That might be enough to take some wind out his sails. Hope he figures it out here. I would hate to see him tear us up from another side.
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #103
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

I wish people would stop salivating over all these flashy-centers out there. We don't have an NHL-calibre RW in our organization.
That's fair. And a top 6 RW would actually be realistic to acquire.
Guys like Rackell and Mantha might be out there. If not now, probably at some point in the season.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #104
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post

They have an elite RW but he is also good at C so they don’t use him as a RW
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #105
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I agree on Johnny. Also, Johnny and Tkachuk were together for answering media questions between the last two games.

When asked about his strong personal performance, Johnny expressed that he felt that he was not playing his best game and neither was anyone else on the team yet, besides Markstrom. Johnny, who has been busting his ass and leading production, emphasized that he can do better and that as a team they can all play better and need to.

When Tkachuk was asked to evaluate his performance since the Muzzin incident, he laughed it off a bit, deflected by saying the media is just stirring things up and pointed to how the team had won 4 of 5 games since then and said they were trending in the right direction.

Johnny came across as caring more about the team and performance. Tkachuk came across as a bit dismissive and arrogant. Personally, I think those attributes have been mirrored by on ice performances so far this season.
I wouldn't put too much stock in that there's people that are smooth and know just how to act and what to say around the right stakeholders while not actually practicing what they preach and then those that dont. Not saying that's the case but you cant read too much into anything without knowing what's really going on I think. For all we know everyone else is full of it and Chucky is the one fed up.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #106
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in that there's people that are smooth and know just how to act and what to say around the right stakeholders while not actually practicing what they preach and then those that dont. Not saying that's the case but you cant read too much into anything without knowing what's really going on I think. For all we know everyone else is full of it and Chucky is the one fed up.

Chucky didn’t get a point in the 4 game Vancouver set.

His on ice play is on him and nobody else
Old 02-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #107
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

His skating is so bad it really hinders him, especially when facets of the rest of his game that are good aren't going for him. He isn't having a strong year, maybe try putting him back with Backlund?
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #108
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
His skating is so bad it really hinders him, especially when facets of the rest of his game that are good aren't going for him. He isn't having a strong year, maybe try putting him back with Backlund?

Then you could end up at

13-23-28
19-11-88
17-93-29

Three lines that have worked.

The coach is smarter than that
Old 02-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #109
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if tkachuk made any effort to improve his skating since becoming a regular nhler
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #110
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Then you could end up at

13-23-28
19-11-88
17-93-29

At the same time though, that's the exact lineup that's had good regular season results and then fallen flat in the playoffs two years in a row. Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm have a 37% xGF% as a trio in the playoffs. Let's not pretend this is some no-brainer obvious contender lineup that Ward's stubbornly refusing to play. At some point you have to build for the long term even if there's an easy answer to win a bit more right now. Lindholm at C gives us our best shot (IMO) at the kind of play-driving two-way top line that you need in the playoffs.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #111
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
At the same time though, that's the exact lineup that's had good regular season results and then fallen flat in the playoffs two years in a row. Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm have a 37% xGF% as a trio in the playoffs. Let's not pretend this is some no-brainer obvious contender lineup that Ward's stubbornly refusing to play. At some point you have to build for the long term even if there's an easy answer to win a bit more right now. Lindholm at C gives us our best shot (IMO) at the kind of play-driving two-way top line that you need in the playoffs.
Assuming we make the playoffs
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #112
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then you could end up at

13-23-28
19-11-88
17-93-29

yeah but what about Dominik Simon?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #113
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then you could end up at

13-23-28
19-11-88
17-93-29

Not many banners flying in the Saddledome from those lines.

We did have a good regular season two years ago, I will grant that.

Anyway I’m not too excited about rearranging the deck chairs but it couldn’t hurt.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #114
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Chucky didn’t get a point in the 4 game Vancouver set.

His on ice play is on him and nobody else
I agree but I dont think he necessarily "cares" less then Johnny because of how he came across in an interview. These guys get rattled easily they are mentally fragile after all.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:27 PM   #115
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Not many banners flying in the Saddledome from those lines.

We did have a good regular season two years ago, I will grant that.

Anyway I’m not too excited about rearranging the deck chairs but it couldn’t hurt.

Well Monahan did have a cracked thumb against Colorado

I fear that Peters style of play adjustment to prepare for how you ‘have to play in the playoffs’ was a turning point from which this team hasn’t recovered.

The good season 2 years ago was a great first 3/4 of a season and not so great thereafter

The whole point is that the combination of those three lines is
- among top lines in the league
- the best line down the stretch and Tkachuk works with Backs and Mang
- the line that was the best in the playoffs

Maybe Johnny has recovered from his off year and Monahan has grown his game

Point is nothing Ward is blending up is actually as good as any of those

It’s just smartest guy in the room stuff until something works. So I’m in favour of putting the deck chairs a way we have seen them actually work before
Old 02-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #116
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I agree but I dont think he necessarily "cares" less then Johnny because of how he came across in an interview. These guys get rattled easily they are mentally fragile after all.

I think the poster was observing a parallel, not making a mountain out of a mole hill
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #117
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yea, that’s what I am seeing as well, it’s a country club again and MT wants to win. No way you trade him. It will be The Dion Phaneuf scenario again, a GM on his way out bringing in a bag of pucks for a star.

Unfortunately the GM has to go, it’s unfortunate that the Kadri deal did not go through and that was the turning point.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-18-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #118
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think every single player wants to win but not all of them can step up their games against playoff opposition or teams late in the season that want to win just as bad and have elevated their game. If Tkachuk wants to win as bad as fans think why does he disappear in the last month of the season and in the playoffs? The only player on the roster that's every elevated his game in the playoffs is Bennett. Having tantrums when you lose isn't going to rub off positively on teammates as much when they haven't seen you pick up your game when it counts.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #119
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

So much piling on Matthew. Yeah, he is having a tough stretch but what player doesn't?

No slack for the guy as he plays through learning new linemates? Hes always had Backlund as his center. Backlund gave him complete freedom to live in front of and behind the net. They knew where each other would be and had set plays. He has to learn Lindholm, its only been 16 games playing with him. This will take a little bit of time.

Lets check some stats.

5 goals puts him tied for 2nd on the team (Gaudreau 9, Mangiapaine, Lindholm 5, Lucic 4, Backlund, Dube 3)

10 points places 4th on the team (Gaudreau, Lindholm 16, Monahan 12)

He leads the forwards with a +3 (Hanifin +4, Tanev +3, Lindholm +2)

Leads the team in shots with 52 (Lindholm 40, Gaudreau 39, Backlund 37)

Leads the team in penalties drawn with 11 (Mangiapaine, Ryan 6, Gaudreau, Hanifin 5)

Leads the team in hits with 47 (Lucic 44, Bennett 29, Lindholm 21, Nordstrom 20)

Leads the forwards in giveaways with 13 (Tanev 15, Nesterov 13, Gaudreau, Hanifin 12)

Ranks 6th in takeaways with 5 (Mangiapaine 14, Backlund 12, Monahan 10)

Tied for team lead in missed shots with 18 (Hanifin 18, Gaudreau 16, Monahan 14)

So, what does this tell us? Questioning his work ethic and desire are a bit far fetched when you see he leads the team in shots, hits and drawn penalties. He has 10 points but still leads the forwards in +/-.

Obviously giving the puck away and missing shots has been a problem this season.

People saying trade him? Bench him? Questioning his desire and effort? This place has gone mad. He's 23 years old. He wears this jersey as good as anyone has with emotion, heart and pride. He's a team guy. A goalie hugger. He's a student of the game. He loves hockey, studies hockey, watches hockey, sleeps and breathes hockey. He has the ability to draw his team into the fight.

Matthew Tkachuk is way down my list of concerns on this club. I have no doubt he will snap out of this. Either start clicking with Lindholm or back with Backlund. He is too good and too obsessed with the game not to.

Some of these posts in here are beyond cringe worthy.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #120
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well Monahan did have a cracked thumb against Colorado

I fear that Peters style of play adjustment to prepare for how you ‘have to play in the playoffs’ was a turning point from which this team hasn’t recovered.

The good season 2 years ago was a great first 3/4 of a season and not so great thereafter

The whole point is that the combination of those three lines is
- among top lines in the league
- the best line down the stretch and Tkachuk works with Backs and Mang
- the line that was the best in the playoffs

Maybe Johnny has recovered from his off year and Monahan has grown his game

Point is nothing Ward is blending up is actually as good as any of those

It’s just smartest guy in the room stuff until something works. So I’m in favour of putting the deck chairs a way we have seen them actually work before
IMO the bolded part says alot about the team. One injury, a coaches decision, whatever it may be this team has a difficult time recovering from anything.

Now I'm all for changing the lines as you describe, but IMO it doesn't get us too far. The makeup of this team should have been tweaked after the CO series and again last season. Because it's not like one trade changes everything.

This team is not progressing. At all.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matthew , tkachuk