Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #461
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Not this bs again....Please give proof that Huawei is a known arm of the Chinese government instead of believing the absolute bs the Trump regime feeds you. Can I interest you in a subscription to the National Enquirer too?
Uh....

Quote:
A 2019 research paper published by Donald Clarke of George Washington University and Christopher Balding of Fulbright University Vietnam accused Huawei of being "effectively state-owned" due to this structure "if the trade union and its committee function as trade unions generally function in China" (being required to be associated with a labor federation tied to the Communist Party)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critic...pany_ownership
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #462
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The key word being accused. Speculation from a Vietnemese and US source??? No way!! Lol. That is not proof, not even remotely close.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:54 PM   #463
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

However the Chinese are spying via Huawei I'm positive the CIA/NSA is doing via Google and Apple as well.

I've accepted that there is no privacy in the digital age
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #464
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the impact of the trade dispute is still happening though, as the Mate 30 cannot run Google apps via regular channels. that means sketchy ass side-loads/Chinese pirate app stores, or just going all in on Huawei app ecosystem.

while it's true that you're probably being spied on no matter which phone you choose, I just feel innately better about my data being in the same hands it's always been in, rather than adding another foreign power to the list.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #465
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The key word being accused. Speculation from a Vietnemese and US source??? No way!! Lol. That is not proof, not even remotely close.
So what, I'm supposed to believe China? OK. Fine. Provide some evidence of alternate ownership, otherwise I'm gong to have to assume the people who actually spent time researching it have the correct answer.

As to your assertion that there is no ban, I don't think that is the case. This is from 15 days ago:
Quote:
Future phones currently look set to follow in the footsteps of the Huawei Mate 30 range, meaning they won't have access to Google's apps or services.
This is a potentially critical blow to the Chinese brand, which only recently spoke out about its plans to be the world's largest smartphone manufacturer.
This means that if Huawei wants to keep using the Android operating system, it will need to use the Android Open Source Platform (AOSP), which is a free system that any brand can use as an underlying foundation for its products, and which it's using on the Mate 30.
However along with the Google Play Store it won’t have access to the core Google apps like YouTube, Google Maps and Chrome – these are core elements of Google's business that it's not duty bound to make available to anyone.
Without access to the Play Store, Huawei would be forced to work directly with developers to get them to create versions of their wares for its phones. This situation would be similar to that of Amazon’s Fire OS, which is based on AOSP but has its own app store, as the retail giant seeks to control the platform its Fire tablets and Echo devices run on.
https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-ban

So it seems that no, new Huawei phones will not have access to Google play services. I, personally would never buy a phone from them, no matter how nice.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #466
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't buy Chinese spy phones.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #467
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Pixel 4. I wish the Samsung S10 and S10 Note's cameras were better.

Apparently the S11 is going to have a great camera.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #468
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what, I'm supposed to believe China? OK. Fine. Provide some evidence of alternate ownership, otherwise I'm gong to have to assume the people who actually spent time researching it have the correct answer.

As to your assertion that there is no ban, I don't think that is the case. This is from 15 days ago:

https://www.techradar.com/news/huawei-ban

So it seems that no, new Huawei phones will not have access to Google play services. I, personally would never buy a phone from them, no matter how nice.
As before, you are wrong.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...-threat-china/

Trump will never follow through on a ban on Huawei because it will majorly hurt US companies like Intel who would lose 11 Billion dollars a year in revenue. It isn't happening. So you want to believe accusations from Vietnam who always are in conflict with China and the US who are in the middle of a trade war agreement? The same people who said Huawei tech was very dangerous but then back peddled when they realized the financial repercussions? The same people who can offer ZERO proof of these accusations? Ok, you do that. Here is a fact, every tech company is taking info from you. All of them. Apple, Facebook, Samsung, ect... So unless you are a spy for the US or something I wouldn't be concerned about China having any data on you.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #469
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Don't buy Chinese spy phones.
Merica right?? Keep it great!

Last edited by dissentowner; 10-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #470
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Merica right?? Keep it great!
ok?
Old 10-17-2019, 04:03 PM   #471
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Protecting your privacy is an uphill battle these days no matter what tech you buy into... Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple etc, they are complicit. But buying a Huawei feels tantamount to just giving up completely.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:08 PM   #472
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Samsungs are getting more and more expensive plus come loaded with bloatware. The OnePlus has definitely given me a pause on my planned pixel 4 purchase though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Good point on the bloat.

And FWIW, I've got a OP6, and recommend it. It's a solid phone.
OP7T comes out tomorrow. I think I'll end up getting one.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #473
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you care to show what part of that link proves me wrong?

Is it this part?
Quote:
Oct. 16: Huawei sold a whole bunch of phones despite the US ban, while a Mate X unboxing video hints at the foldable phone's imminent release. Also, Germany caused an uproar with draft network security rules that would let Huawei work on its 5G networks.
Because that is the most recent update. Which seems to indicate there is a ban.
and this part:
Quote:
Oct. 2: Huawei Mate 30 phones apparently lose backdoor access to Google apps.
Everything I have read is that all new phones will not have access to Google play services. If you can provide something that indicates otherwise, I'd be willing to listen to what you have to say. If you can't provide evidence to that effect, how about you strop callnig me wrong? Until then I'm just going to have to assume you are a Chinese troll trying to muddy the waters.

hey everybody, look, we found CP's Chinese troll.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #474
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you care to show what part of that link proves me wrong?

Is it this part?

Because that is the most recent update. Which seems to indicate there is a ban.
and this part:

Everything I have read is that all new phones will not have access to Google play services. If you can provide something that indicates otherwise, I'd be willing to listen to what you have to say. If you can't provide evidence to that effect, how about you strop callnig me wrong? Until then I'm just going to have to assume you are a Chinese troll trying to muddy the waters.

hey everybody, look, we found CP's Chinese troll.
Or you can just ignore the whole title of the article. I will stop calling you wrong when you are actually right about something.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #475
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not correct. There is no ban at all on any Huawei phones, now or future. Trump lifted that a while ago. I have a Mate 20 Pro, best phone I have ever had easily. Huawei makes great phones.
Quote:
Or you can just ignore the whole title of the article. I will stop calling you wrong when you are actually right about something.
Ok, let me read the title of the article.

Quote:
Huawei ban: Full timeline as company reports shipping 185M phones despite US ban
Yup, still banned.

Trolling for the Chinese government must be exhausting.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-17-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #476
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, let me read the title of the article.

Yup, still banned.

Trolling for the Chinese government must be exhausting.
Being wrong must be exhausting. The ban was lifted back at the end of June. Here, right from the horses mouth.

Financially it would cripple multiple US companies, there is no current ban nor will there be, this was political moving early on by Trump to get a favourable trade deal, it didn't work. That is checkmate my friend, let it go.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #477
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

国家安全部已对这一论点进行了全面监测
Old 10-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #478
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
OP7T comes out tomorrow. I think I'll end up getting one.
Yeah I have my eyes on that. Definitely considering it.y S8 is starting to freeze and I never even liked it in the first place
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #479
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Huawei phones do not come preinstalled down the road with google services you can still put it on the phone, not hard. The end point is Huawei phones are very good phones and them collecting data is a non issue as everyone is collecting your data nowadays.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:55 PM   #480
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure the Chinese state isn't collecting our data to sell us ads.