Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2020, 03:16 PM   #281
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

at this point honestly- I get a bit surprised when the Flames lose a game, even if they are outshooting the opposition 38-24 (18-5 in the 3rd)

interesting to watch the careers of 3 veterans sort of wind down here- Lanny on his last legs is picking up steam, Lafleur- after a 3 year retirement- has a few years left in him and finds himself on a wacky first line with Carey Wilson and Sandstrom...yet we read of poor Marcel Dionne meandering back from the IHL

interesting several of these Rangers will find themselves wearing the Flaming C in the years to come Wilson (again), Patrick, Petit, Kisio

does the line up really highlight the well know Irishman John O'Grodnick?
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #282
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think it was O'Grodnick's first year in the league after starring for several seasons for the Belfast Giants on a line with Paddy O'Furniture.
bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #283
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 72 - Tuesday, March 14, 1989 - Calgary Flames 5 at New Jersey Devils 1

--------------------------------------------------------------

Old 05-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #284
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 73 - Saturday, March 18, 1989 - Calgary Flames 9 at Los Angeles Kings 3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #285
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Doing a little weekend catchup here. Hard to believe we're almost at the end of the regular season! Easily my thread of the year. This has been so much fun digging through the details that BobbieLouie has shared with us. A few thoughts from the Devils and Kings matchups:

1. Man, Hunter and Maley were chucking 'em in that video. Maley was a sneaky good heavyweight throughout his career. Never put up huge PIM numbers, but always could go toe-to-toe with the big boys. I know we picked up Jim Korn a year later for the stretch run, but would have been interesting to see what have happened if we grabbed Maley instead. Curious if there was anything there, or am I just making up a rumor? In fact, why am I thinking that we actually picked up Korn on waivers--I'll double check that.

2. On the note of Maley and Korn. Those late 80s and early 90s seasons were so much fun for fight fans. Teams were stacked back then. Just look at NJ's lineup: Maley, Korn, Daneyko, Rooney, Cirella, Perry Anderson (Another underrated tough guy. Then you look at the Kings lineup: Marty, Jay Miller, Baumer--three legit heavyweights. Sign o the times for sure. I'm not big on fighting anymore, but I always love watching clips from 88 to 96(ish), as I consider that to be the golden era of fighting.

2.5. That Kings/Flames boxscore is fantastic. I miss huge boxscores like that so much. It used to be such a treat, as a kid, opening the Sports Section in the morning (Hartford Courant for me) and comb through the boxscores. The Courant had a good boxscore template (like the one from the Kings and Devils game). I've seen a few here that are tough to read--I think they are the ones from the Boston Globe (with all the extra scoring details). I also used to hate the ones that didn't tell you the specific penalties. Instead of '(Fighting)' it would just say '(Major)'; or instead of '(Tripping)' it would just say '(Minor)'. The Hockey News was guilty of this throughout most of the 80s. I remember for the 89-90 season, they switched to the more detailed oriented boxscores. Also, LOL, the idea of a Double Game Misconduct (on top of a Misconduct) is so dumb if you think about it. It's almost like Marty wanted to add to his PIMs.

3. I've noticed Gary Roberts filling in at Center the past few games. Did that happen a lot early in his career? I have zero memory of him playing anything but LW.

4. Roger Johansson. Again, didn't realize there was so much around him at the end of the '89 season. Too bad we never really got much out of him
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastCoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #286
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post

4. Roger Johansson. Again, didn't realize there was so much around him at the end of the '89 season. Too bad we never really got much out of him

The best thing about Roger Johansson was his Swedish League hockey card

Old 06-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #287
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

a few further things on that Kings game

one is noting that local 'legend' Kelly Hrudey missed the game because of the birth of a child- Hrudey and of course his family have been the center of some attention over the years given his mental health advocacy work

Roberts- at center- vaguely remember this- I guess you do what you gotta do with 2 HOF centers out of the lineup, Hrdina was the first obvious guy to shift over, then it would either Roberts or Pep I would think- anyways pretty good team if you can take your 2 HOFers down the middle out of the lineup and still take down a team with Gretzky-Nicholls (in the midst of a 150 point season)- Kaspar- Kontos (who at this point was a month or two away from becoming the legend Chris Kontos) 9-3
Old 06-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #288
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 74 - Tuesday, March 21, 1989 - New York Islanders 1 at Calgary Flames 4

------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #289
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 75 - Thursday, March 23, 1989 - Los Angeles Kings 2 at Calgary Flames 4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 12:34 PM   #290
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Early post today as I'll be busy the rest of Tuesday.

Regular 3 p.m. (MT) schedule resumes on Wednesday
Old 06-03-2020, 07:45 AM   #291
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've seen that Sabourin 'hit' on 99 so many times over the years and it makes me laugh each time as he barely touches him. It looks more like Gretz looses his footing more than anything. That's gotta be the highlight of Sabourin's career, right? I'd love to hear his thoughts on this 'incident' now. I'd be willing to bet if Gretz saw this now that he would laugh as well.

Also, can we talk about that Otto clip? Did Big Joel attack Ron Finn thinking he was Timmy Waters? It sort of looks like he blacks out a bit too. I don't know, kind of a weird scene regardless with Lanny and Pep quickly coming to his aid it makes you think if Joel knew where he even was or what he was even doing.

Last edited by EastCoastFlamesFan; 06-03-2020 at 07:48 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastCoastFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #292
Chris Biotti
Draft Pick

Quote:
I've seen that Sabourin 'hit' on 99 so many times over the years and it makes me laugh each time as he barely touches him. It looks more like Gretz looses his footing more than anything. That's gotta be the highlight of Sabourin's career, right? I'd love to hear his thoughts on this 'incident' now. I'd be willing to bet if Gretz saw this now that he would laugh as well.

Also, can we talk about that Otto clip? Did Big Joel attack Ron Finn thinking he was Timmy Waters? It sort of looks like he blacks out a bit too. I don't know, kind of a weird scene regardless with Lanny and Pep quickly coming to his aid it makes you think if Joel knew where he even was or what he was even doing.
I remember this game well. I was really impressed with Fleury trying to take on Baumgartner.

Gretzky was a bit of a diver. See how he flops later in that video when he's standing next to Hunter.

I always figured Otto was pissed because he was jumped and never got a chance to get his receipt. The linesmen were on him pretty fast, which was out of the ordinary back then. They usually just let them go.

Also, to answer your other post about Roberts, I remember him filling in every once in a while center early in his career - especially when he wore 32.
Chris Biotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #293
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah weird one. He just falls over, doesn’t try to sell anything. Sabourin gives him space. And then the Kings all come in with knives on their feet and surround the great one while he’s on the ground... and scuffle. Good work boys.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #294
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 76 - Friday, March 24, 1989 - Calgary Flames 3 at Winnipeg Jets 4 (ot)

-----------------------------------------

Old 06-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #295
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

again even in the Flames losses at this point they are outshooting the opposition, in this case 41-27 (including 20-3 in the 2nd period) despite missing 7 regulars
Old 06-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #296
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow that Norris division sure is weak. Lots of scrub teams gonna make the playoffs.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #297
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 77 - Sunday, March 26, 1989 - Calgary Flames 7 at Chicago Blackhawks 5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #298
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting foreshadowing about JR in the game notes, as he did indeed come back to play against the Flames in the Semis

everyone's favorite Hawks LW Greg Gilbert missed this one due to injury

man, that's just how the Flames rolled back then- Mullen with 4 goals in the last 21 minutes of the game

MacLellan with some time on the 1a/1b line as the flames ice a pretty memorable 4th line of Roberts-Fleury-McDonald
Old 06-05-2020, 08:14 AM   #299
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
interesting foreshadowing about JR in the game notes, as he did indeed come back to play against the Flames in the Semis

everyone's favorite Hawks LW Greg Gilbert missed this one due to injury

man, that's just how the Flames rolled back then- Mullen with 4 goals in the last 21 minutes of the game

MacLellan with some time on the 1a/1b line as the flames ice a pretty memorable 4th line of Roberts-Fleury-McDonald
One thing that I've always wondered about JR was his reason for playing in the Q? He's such a major advocate for American hockey and pushes college hockey so much--so it always makes me chuckle to know that he played Major Junior in Canada. Anyone know the reason behind this choice?
Old 06-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #300
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The way I remember it is that when Roenick was a high school senior (and heading into his draft year), it was pretty clear that he would be playing in the NHL very soon. Wayne Gretzky arranged a meeting between himself and Roenick's family and convinced him to play for Hull of the Quebec League, which Gretzky owned, for whatever amount of time Roenick remained in juniors. (Which wasn't long, less than 3 months)

---There's a reference in these reports (Game 73) to the Kings also agreeing to have their training camp in 1989 in Hull, per Gretzky's request---

"....It doesn't have the same intrigue as the Flames' planned trip to Russia in September, but the Kings announced their own training camp switch for next season. They'll set up in Hull, Quebec, where Wayne Gretzky not-so-coincidentally owns the QMJHL Hull Olympiques .....

I suspect that if you're an 18-year-old about to enter the NHL world in 1988 and Wayne Gretzky personally asks you and your family to do him a small "favor" (28 games plus playoffs in this case), it would hold a lot of sway.