Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 12:00 PM   #141
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
That was a really tough read.

That poor family.
Poor family and poor Doc.
It's clear he was really suffering. Utterly heart breaking to read.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 PM   #142
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of Braden’s friends shot him a text.

“I just saw a tweet that your dad died in a plane crash. Is it true?”

My God, that's just horrible.

Halladay seemed like a sad soul.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #143
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, when his wife mentions he was a sad soul, it really makes you wonder why he always had that lost, yet focused look on his face. Seemed focused on his trade but never one to talk or joke around much and it makes you wonder if he was having issues.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:20 PM   #144
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.denv...imperfect/amp/

The documentary is next Friday and looks like it will really touch on the mental issues
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #145
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s going to be an emotional watch. Part of me really feels for Brandy and his kids right now. It seems to be every couple of months that new Halladay news pops up and they have to relive everything again.

As a fan it’s going to be interesting to see and hopefully sheds more light on mental health awareness. As Fleury mentioned above, Doc never seemed to enjoy himself, and his competitive nature and focus really seemed to take over his life. A contrast from how he appeared in his first few seasons. With a mouth full of braces and a perma smile. I guess it shows how immense the pressure to perform can be.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #146
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7HSNsFyRJhk

It’s crazy how there isn’t 1 hard hit ball. Usually there is a great play or 2

A softball team could have had a perfect game behind him the balls were hit so poorly in this game
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 PM   #147
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had those corners absolutely painted. What a treat to watch.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #148
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

That strikeout pitch to Uggla in the 8th was ridiculous. Lots of bats sitting on shoulders in that video.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #149
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
That’s going to be an emotional watch. Part of me really feels for Brandy and his kids right now. It seems to be every couple of months that new Halladay news pops up and they have to relive everything again.

As a fan it’s going to be interesting to see and hopefully sheds more light on mental health awareness. As Fleury mentioned above, Doc never seemed to enjoy himself, and his competitive nature and focus really seemed to take over his life. A contrast from how he appeared in his first few seasons. With a mouth full of braces and a perma smile. I guess it shows how immense the pressure to perform can be.

True, I forgot about those rookie years.

Just to clarify, it may not always be the pressure to perform that can set a person off in this case (though we may equate it from the sports angle we know him in). People are so complex and there are so many things that a person in life experiences that shape how they react to things. Could be baseball, or it could be his personal life or upbringing that made him the way he is (combined with predispositions). Who knows really? I'm sure the documentary will position it through the eyes of baseball but it's probably much deeper than that.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #150
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well tomorrow is fairly huge day for the Blue Jays as the first round of the MLB draft is tomorrow night.

They have the 5th overall pick.

Potential picks at the 5th spot:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...ick-mlb-draft/

Quote:
Nick Gonzales, 2B/SS, New Mexico State

Bats: R
Throws: R
Height: 5-foot-10
Weight: 190 lbs

Mock Drafts: Baseball America: 7th to Pirates | Law: 6th to Mariners | MLB.com: 4th to Royals | ESPN: 6th to Mariners

Zac Veen, OF, Spruce Creek, Fla. High School

Bats: L
Throws: L
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 190 lbs

Mock Drafts: Baseball America: 2nd to Orioles | Law: 4th to Royals | MLB.com: 8th to Padres | ESPN: 4th to Royals

Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota

Height: 6-foot
Weight: 185 lbs

Previously drafted: Twins, 34th round, 2017

Mock Drafts: Baseball America: 6th to Mariners | Law: 8th to Padres | MLB.com: 5th to Blue Jays | ESPN: 5th to Blue Jays

Emerson Hancock, RHP, Georgia

Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 213 lbs

Previously drafted: Diamondbacks, 38th round, 2017

Mock Drafts: Baseball America: 5th to Blue Jays | Law: 5th to Blue Jays | MLB.com: 6th to Mariners | ESPN: 9th to Rockies
A little background...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...urs-mlb-draft/

Quote:
The Toronto Blue Jays, holders of the fifth-overall pick and the ninth-largest signing bonus pool at $9,716,500, are in a strong position to be creative in such fashion.

In their most recent mock drafts, both Baseball America and The Athletic have them taking Georgia right-hander Emerson Hancock at five while MLB Pipeline predicted Max Meyer, the Minnesota righty who could find himself in a big-league bullpen this year. The Blue Jays have also been linked to high school outfielder Zac Veen, New Mexico State second baseman Nick Gonzales and Louisville lefty Reid Detmers, and what happens in the four picks before they’re up will go a long way in settling how they approach their own selection.

The Baltimore Orioles, at No. 2, could shake things up if they pass on Vanderbilt slugger Austin Martin for an under slot pick that would create savings they can use on subsequent picks.
Mock draft:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipelin...mlb-mock-draft

Quote:
1) Tigers: Spencer Torkelson, 1B, Arizona State
A first baseman hasn’t gone No. 1 overall since Adrián González back in 2000, but Torkelson has the chance to be a true impact bat, and in a hurry.

2) Orioles: Austin Martin, 3B/OF, Vanderbilt
Most feel the Orioles are in a good spot this year, being able to take whichever college bat the Tigers don’t take.

3) Marlins: Asa Lacy, LHP, Texas A&M
With Torkelson and Martin gone, it’s time for the top college arms to come off the board, with Lacy getting the edge now over Georgia’s Emerson Hancock.

4) Royals: Emerson Hancock, RHP, Georgia
The Royals went pitching-heavy back in 2018, but someone once said you can never have too many arms.

5) Blue Jays: Nick Gonzales, 2B, New Mexico State
His huge performance on the Cape made teams feel comfortable his production wasn’t just a product of his hitting-friendly environment in New Mexico.

6) Mariners: Max Meyer, RHP, Minnesota
Three straight years with a college arm for Seattle, with Meyer answering a lot of questions about his ability to stay in a rotation with his hot start this spring.

7) Pirates: Zac Veen, OF, Spruce Creek HS (Fla.)
The first high school player to come off the board, and he could go a bit earlier. College options here: Garrett Mitchell (UCLA); Reid Detmers (Louisville)

8) Padres: Mick Abel, RHP, Jesuit HS (Ore.)
The Padres don’t shy away from high schoolers with upside, so Abel could make a lot of sense, as could Nick Bitsko from eastern Pennsylvania.

9) Rockies: Reid Detmers, LHP, Louisville
He’s the next best college arm after the trio that came off the board in the top six picks.

10) Angels: Garrett Mitchell, OF, UCLA
While the Angels are in need of pitching, it’d be a reach for a college arm here and Mitchell has the best set of tools in the class.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 06-08-2020 at 08:30 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #151
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I REALLY want Zac Veen. Checks a ton of boxes and has the upside i think you want at the top of the draft but starting to sound like he won't be there which is sad. I like Garrett Mitchell too but some small health concerns there. Nick Gonzales would be exciting to add as a hitter but not exactly at a huge position of need as i think the Jays are pretty strong with middle INF.

Not too excited about the arms and would rather the Jays go position player but we'll see tomorrow I guess.

Last edited by cross16; 06-09-2020 at 11:33 AM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cross16 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #152
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Everything starts at 7 pm ET tomorrow. Really hoping the LOLrioles channel that same energy that put Ubaldo Jiminez in the game instead of Britton and absolutely blow it with their 2nd overall.

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 06-09-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #153
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Nevermind!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #154
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Double Nevermind!
Old 06-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #155
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noticed that a couple of mock drafts have Veen going to the Marlins. The Royals went big on left handed pitching in 17 and 18, and might pick their guy either way it falls.

How great would it be if Lacy dropped to five.
Old 06-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #156
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not reaches but two semi-surprise picks and the Jays are going to get a shot at either Lacy or Martin, who seemed to be the consensus 2 and 3 guys in the draft on talent.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #157
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Austin Martin, SS/OF. Seems like he was high in a lot of mocks I saw, but apart from that I know nothing. Are we happy? Tell me if I'm happy.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #158
flamingreen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Austin Martin, SS/OF. Seems like he was high in a lot of mocks I saw, but apart from that I know nothing. Are we happy? Tell me if I'm happy.
Be very happy. Lots of people had him as the best player in the draft.
flamingreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #159
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Sportsnet's Ben Nicholson:
With their highest draft pick since 1997, the Blue Jays select Austin Martin. Ranked second among all prospects by Baseball America, he wasn't expected to fall to the Jays.
In 140 career games at Vanderbilt Martin hit .368/.474/.532 with 43 steals & more walks than strikeouts.
— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) June 10, 2020
Seems to be a fortunate bounce for the Jays. I was high on the highschooler simply from what I read, but this looks to be as good as you can get. I don't know any of these young guys though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #160
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow what steal for the Jays. Keith Laws number 1 player in the entire draft. See what position they like him at but super exciting to see another high end position player in the fold. Future potential lineup getting deeper

I really wanted Veen but that was assuming Martin was gone. Draft fell the right way for the Jays.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote