Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2020, 04:47 PM   #2841
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So with the likelyhood of our yearly MB trip on pause this year, we decided we might do 3-day golf weekend in Alberta. Anybody have some suggestions of where we could homebase and play 3 different nice/fun courses? I think we would have to get on things to make sure we can get tee times. Also would hotels be around for us to even stay at come July/August?

Some options I thought of:

Base: (Olds) - Sundre, Olds, Coyote Creek
Base: (Red Deer) Innisfail - Innisfail - Alberta Springs
Base: (Canmore) Stewart Creek - Silvertip - Canmore
Base: (Camrose) Coal Creek - Camrose - New Norway
Base: (Sherwood Park) Coal Creek - Northern Bear - Red Tail Landing
Base: (Lethbridge) Magrath - Paradise Canyon - Picture Butte

I'm not really sure of where around Calgary or Edmonton might make a good trip, hence why I am asking CP.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #2842
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are in Canmore, now might be a good year to do the Banff Springs course. Probably not busy...and also don't forget to stop by Tim Hortons for some 5am chili...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #2843
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think there’s really a concern to get tee times at any of those courses is there?

Why not Kelowna or Cranbrook?

Is Sherwood park and Camrose really worth it? Everything else besides Lethbridge is a day trip.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #2844
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Base: (Olds) - Sundre, Olds, Coyote Creek
I hate Olds as a golf course. Using Sundre as the base and going Sundre-Pine Hills-Water Valley would be the best bet around there IMO. Or camping at Coyote Creek would also be good with Sundre and Water Valley as the others. Innisfail - Sundre

Also an option for a half round at the Didsbury 9 (a surprisingly enjoyable round that was only $10 at the time).

Base: (Red Deer) Innisfail - Innisfail - Alberta Springs

Lots of potential in the Innisfail to Edmonton cooridor, much stronger collection than the Calgary - Red Deer part of the QE2. A few solid combos can be made in there:

Innisfail - Riverbend - Wolf Creek

Wolf Creek - Lacombe - Ponoka

Base: (Canmore) Stewart Creek - Silvertip - Canmore

- I'd swap Silvertip for Kananaskis, but can't go wrong with an all Canmore option. Silvertip is the weakest of the courses IMO, but a fun scramble course and the views make up for a lot.

Another sneaky option would be Fernie - Crowsnest Pass - Pincher Creek

Last edited by Roughneck; 05-30-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 05:37 PM   #2845
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
If you are in Canmore, now might be a good year to do the Banff Springs course. Probably not busy...and also don't forget to stop by Tim Hortons for some 5am chili...

5am Timmys Chilli run...I’m in! Now can I remember the walk back to your parents old place from there Might have to recruit surferguy to come lead the way.

Is Banff allowing non-locals in yet?

We don’t care how far away the places away are from us, we aren’t staying at home anyways. Just want a getaway place. I like the BC idea too, just not sure how the reaction to Albertans would be
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2020, 05:44 PM   #2846
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banff is back in business:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6986317/b...urism-reopens/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:53 PM   #2847
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
5am Timmys Chilli run...I’m in! Now can I remember the walk back to your parents old place from there Might have to recruit surferguy to come lead the way.

We don’t care how far away the places away are from us, we aren’t staying at home anyways. Just want a getaway place. I like the BC idea too, just not sure how the reaction to Albertans would be
I would not be worried about a reception in BC, small vocal group around Vernon and they are easy to ignore.

If you do the Bow Valley, I agree with the others drop Silvertip for either Kananaskis or Banff Springs. I have always thought Canmore is a hidden gem, Les Furber is a member and they have done a renovation over the last 6-7 years with his designs.

EVERYONE! I mentioned Salmon Arm golf course a few pages ago and played yesterday for my first round this year. They did not winter well at all! At least half the greens were like putting on the moon, the course is in VERY ROUGH SHAPE.

Last edited by Lumby Lager; 05-30-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:54 PM   #2848
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post

You’re fine going to BC. Don’t waste your time travelling to play some courses that are ok or can be day tripped.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:45 PM   #2849
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah the Invermere courses want people to come and play. They know who pays the bills. Plus you can play a course on the way out and the way back if you're inclined. Every now and then I like the drive through Golden to play there when I head out.

Lots of fun combinations to play if you want to theme a trip as well:

Top Shelf Ballers: Greywolf - Copper Point - Eagle Ranch

90s Hits: Trickle Creek - The Springs - Riverside

Frugal Locals: Windermere Valley - Mountainside - Radium Resort

Par 3 Cheapskates: Setetkwa - Edgewater - Coy's
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 09:44 PM   #2850
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Which driving ranges are open other than Beddington?
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #2851
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don’t hesitate in the least going to BC with concerns of locals.

I just finished a golf trip last weekend in Cranbrook and no issues. The golf courses are MORE than happy to have us Albertans.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:26 PM   #2852
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

Finally playing McCall on Friday. I haven't played there since the reno's, it'll be nice to see what's changed.

Man, the city courses sure are tough to book. First time I tried there was literally no tee times left for more than a single.

So far I've played Heatherglen twice and Collicut once, amazingly I shot 85 in all three rounds so far
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #2853
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Serenity is opening up the front 9 of it's second course (Suncatcher) this weekend. As a men's league player there, i can't wait to try something new.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #2854
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
The one on Country Hills Blvd is (the one with the mini golf).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #2855
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
I think the range at Inglewood is open (based on the signs you can see from Deerfoot), and is a decent one. Dispensing machine takes cards, so no need to go to pro shop. They usually have a good multiple bucket deal running every year.

Last edited by Voodooman; 06-04-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #2856
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Anyone ever played Fernie? I might head out next week, maybe hit Crowsnest Pass/Fernie and then maybe Kimberly.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #2857
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Anyone ever played Fernie? I might head out next week, maybe hit Crowsnest Pass/Fernie and then maybe Kimberly.
If you are going that way, skip Fernie and play more around Kimberly. The courses are much better on both layouts and overall fun. Enjoy the Pass though. That course is easily my favourite course now with the new layout. Overall a great challenge.
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #2858
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
If you are going that way, skip Fernie and play more around Kimberly. The courses are much better on both layouts and overall fun. Enjoy the Pass though. That course is easily my favourite course now with the new layout. Overall a great challenge.
My friend who is in the process of moving to Kimberley reports that Kimberley GC has lost six greens over the winter and Bootleg Gap has lost all of them.

This is from Bootlegs Website.

During the course closure, we will take this opportunity to complete an overseeding program to all of our putting surfaces. This program requires intensive overseeding with T1 Bent grass and appropriate water and fertilizer applications. Unfortunately, in order for this plan to be effective, we cannot allow traffic onto the greens. Due to the current heightened risk levels of COVID-19 and this overseeding program, we have re-scheduled our opening date for June 26th, 2020.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #2859
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, that just sucks. Bottleg is a great course as well. I hope that they get enough weather to have it come back.
brocoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #2860
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
Finally playing McCall on Friday. I haven't played there since the reno's, it'll be nice to see what's changed.

Man, the city courses sure are tough to book. First time I tried there was literally no tee times left for more than a single.

So far I've played Heatherglen twice and Collicut once, amazingly I shot 85 in all three rounds so far
I played there last year and I thought they butchered the course. Will wait a few years before I go back.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow