Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #781
flamingred89
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

I think what all this really illustrates is how broken of a model the MLB really is. There’s no real transparency of revenues. You’ve got teams banking on other teams success. Players salaries are all over the map. There just doesn’t seem to be any method to the madness. And it’s really showing right now. The other major sports leagues all seem to have their poop in a group and have common goals. The MLB seems lost and I feel like we could lose a whole season here.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #782
fleury
#1 Goaltender
 
fleury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I think what all this really illustrates is how broken of a model the MLB really is. There’s no real transparency of revenues. You’ve got teams banking on other teams success. Players salaries are all over the map. There just doesn’t seem to be any method to the madness. And it’s really showing right now. The other major sports leagues all seem to have their poop in a group and have common goals. The MLB seems lost and I feel like we could lose a whole season here.

Maybe it's for the better. The Yanks and Steinbrenner really screwed baseball for years by going against the other teams. The have nots are happy to be suckling from the Yanks/Sox/Dodgers. The players have been spoiled over the years as well. I don't see it changing anytime soon as the rich owners simply would break the lockout.
fleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #783
Weitz
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Is there really a demand from the bad teams to be better? It seems fans are ok with 1 good year in 20. If there is no call for parity and everyone is making huge money, why would they change anything?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #784
Jiri Hrdina
Moderator
 
Jiri Hrdina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Is there really a demand from the bad teams to be better? It seems fans are ok with 1 good year in 20. If there is no call for parity and everyone is making huge money, why would they change anything?
From a fan POV it sucks. The major market teams hold a massive advantage that they exploit to ensure they are competitive almost every year.
Yes the league makes money.
But fan interest in many of the have not markets fluctuates based on where the team is in their cycle.
Cycles are natural part of sports, but they are amplified in MLB because of the competitive inequality.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:00 AM   #785
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
From a fan POV it sucks. The major market teams hold a massive advantage that they exploit to ensure they are competitive almost every year.
Yes the league makes money.
But fan interest in many of the have not markets fluctuates based on where the team is in their cycle.
Cycles are natural part of sports, but they are amplified in MLB because of the competitive inequality.
I personally think that hard cap/parity leagues are boring. MLB balance is pretty good IMO. I hate the Yankees, but enjoy hating them. The concept of a Yankees would never exist if there league was fully capped from the get go. MLB does enough with revenue sharing and player control to give every team a chance. The cycles are shorter for the big money teams, sure, but I think they should be.

All that said, I think Blue Jay fans have a little more reason for hating the system when they are stuck with both the Red Sox and Yankees in their division.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #786
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension
 
Sylvanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: I ain't playing nose tackle in a 3-4 defence
Exp:
Default

If they playoffs expanded to 12 teams, and the Draft was less about being able to sign players to the slot value, but be able to draft the best players and be able to let teams sign them, than I think that would allow all teams a decent chance to be in the playoffs at least every 3-4 years type of thing. Right most teams have made the playoffs in the past 10 years...just that many have one appearance in that time if that.
__________________
"Some guys like old balls"
Patriots QB Tom Brady
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #787
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
If they playoffs expanded to 12 teams, and the Draft was less about being able to sign players to the slot value, but be able to draft the best players and be able to let teams sign them, than I think that would allow all teams a decent chance to be in the playoffs at least every 3-4 years type of thing. Right most teams have made the playoffs in the past 10 years...just that many have one appearance in that time if that.
Except that really isn't true. Despite massive payroll differences, many different teams make the playoffs each year.

In the last 6 years, here are the teams and counts of playoff appearance including wild card play in (I got bored counting and quit at 6 and also could have missed 1 or 2)

24 teams made playoffs. 18 at least twice. That's in only 6 years.

In reality despite have less teams make playoffs, there is a ton of turnover on playoffs teams.

The issue is unless you are the very deep pocketed teams, you are looking at a 3-4 year window.

The biggest issue is the deep pocketed teams are also the best run now as well and have starting locking down yearly appearances. But is this any different then the other leagues where top teams lock down playoffs for decades?

LAD 6
NYY 5
Wash 4
Houston 4
Cubs 4
Stl 3
OAK 3
Bos 3
Clev 3
Minny 2
Mil 2
Col 2
Tor 2
Texas 2
SF 2
Balt 2
NYM 2
KC 2
Pitts
Angels
Det
Ariz
Atl
TB
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #788
flamingred89
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The biggest issue is the deep pocketed teams are also the best run now as well and have starting locking down yearly appearances.
TB
I find this interesting. I agree, but it seems to be inspite of the deep pockets they use for Salary. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels, and Cubs have all fallen completely on their faces in terms of big money signings lately. They’ve been bolstered by the talent grown internally. Which speaks to their drafting and developing(which also helps having deep pockets for).
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:51 PM   #789
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I find this interesting. I agree, but it seems to be inspite of the deep pockets they use for Salary. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Angels, and Cubs have all fallen completely on their faces in terms of big money signings lately. They’ve been bolstered by the talent grown internally. Which speaks to their drafting and developing(which also helps having deep pockets for).
There's so many interesting things about spending money and advanced metrics in baseball. The Angels have spent all sorts of money, and may have 1-2 in WAR this year and not have a playoff spot.

Teams who spend a bunch on position players usually don't do a whole lot.

Every team that has won a world series has emptied the bank on starting pitching. Very few of the highest paid hitters sniff the World Series with the team they signed their big deal with.

Accumulating a bunch of tied up money on aging position players is the quickest way to have an expensive, bad team for years.

A's and Rays are doing so much with tiny payrolls.

I find baseball's economics so much more interesting than hockey. Every hockey team signs their hot shot young guys for years before they even have accomplished anything and all the fans cheer they are doing the right thing. Nats let Bryce Harper go for nothing and win a World Series by putting that money into an already loaded starting rotation and having a guy in the wings making 629,000 who was actually more productive in left field.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #790
flamingred89
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Exp:
Default

The A’s and Rays are absolutely fascinating to me. Small market teams who are competitive year in and year out. Yet seem to be content on being farm teams for the rest of the league. They consistently “sell” their stars. Sometimes for pennies on the dollar. There seems to be no real initiative for them to spend for a few years and go for championships.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 11:58 AM   #791
Jason14h
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...pain-addiction

Halliday article pre documentary this Friday

Last edited by Jason14h; 05-27-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016