Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 09:59 PM   #61
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that a 650 or 1000? I have the 650 and it’s a great bike!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:15 PM   #62
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is that a 650 or 1000? I have the 650 and it’s a great bike!
Its a 650 as well. Love it so far!

Not loving the cost of all the gear though, yikes!
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 12:26 AM   #63
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

That looks great. Here's what I picked up, mods coming along slowly. Parts are hard to get these days.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 05-14-2021 at 08:58 AM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 06:38 AM   #64
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Its a 650 as well. Love it so far!

Not loving the cost of all the gear though, yikes!
Well depending on what it is, you basically buy it once. The other consideration is that you’re buying things at the worst time. A friend of mine owns a shop and he was telling me it’s beyond busy at this point. I stopped by for a visit the other day (on a Monday or Tuesday), and it was completely packed. There’s just enormous demand for things at this point, so prices are going to be higher in general.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #65
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well depending on what it is, you basically buy it once. The other consideration is that you’re buying things at the worst time. A friend of mine owns a shop and he was telling me it’s beyond busy at this point. I stopped by for a visit the other day (on a Monday or Tuesday), and it was completely packed. There’s just enormous demand for things at this point, so prices are going to be higher in general.
Yes I have noticed how busy the Bike shops have been too. And yes it is mostly a buy it once type deal, but it adds up quick, lol. Helmet $300+, gloves $100, jacket $300+, boots $300+...
Will probably wait to get side panniers til next season.

Do you guys have a bluetooth communicator in your helmet so you can still take phone calls or do you just shut out the world completely when you are in the saddle?
Old 05-14-2021, 08:54 AM   #66
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I have noticed how busy the Bike shops have been too. And yes it is mostly a buy it once type deal, but it adds up quick, lol. Helmet $300+, gloves $100, jacket $300+, boots $300+...

Do you guys have a bluetooth communicator in your helmet so you can still take phone calls or do you just shut out the world completely when you are in the saddle?
The gear I definitely went over budget. I found GW Cycle has the better selection for someone starting out, but I still had to go online for some stuff. Fortnine is backed up and out of stock of a lot of sizes in my range, so I ended up going to gpbikes.com, who have the same return policy and ship fast.

For comms I have the Sena SMH10, it's really nice to be able to talk to friends and/or listen to music.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #67
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't have any bluetooth and have debated it for a few years. I probably should, but to be honest, part of what I enjoy is that I have no connection to my phone. Come to think of it, quite a few of the things I enjoy take me places where there's no cell service and I think that is a massive benefit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:18 AM   #68
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
The gear I definitely went over budget. I found GW Cycle has the better selection for someone starting out, but I still had to go online for some stuff. Fortnine is backed up and out of stock of a lot of sizes in my range, so I ended up going to gpbikes.com, who have the same return policy and ship fast.

For comms I have the Sena SMH10, it's really nice to be able to talk to friends and/or listen to music.
Agreed on GW Cycle. They are pretty great to deal with there. Definitely my go to vs the other options out there.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:47 PM   #69
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So the tires on the bike I bought were pretty much spent. I ended up buying some Shinko 705's which has now taken me down the rabbit hole of buying front and rear stands to save a few bucks on the mounting costs.

What is everyone else here running on their ADV bikes? I toyed with trying a true 50/50 but was worried what it would be like on the highway with full on knobbies.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #70
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So the tires on the bike I bought were pretty much spent. I ended up buying some Shinko 705's which has now taken me down the rabbit hole of buying front and rear stands to save a few bucks on the mounting costs.

What is everyone else here running on their ADV bikes? I toyed with trying a true 50/50 but was worried what it would be like on the highway with full on knobbies.
I just ordered a set of 705's as well. I spent a bunch of time looking at a bunch of tires as well and I think the 70/30 was a good compromise. There are plenty of 50/50's that are a far cry from big blocks if you know what I mean. Dunlop Trailmax's, Avon AV85's and the like are much nicer patterns than motoz tractionators for example, but they're rated 50/50 the same. Other tires, like the Avon AV54 is considered a 90/10 but has a pattern that matches other 80/20 tires.

Tires are hard and really a feel thing, through all of my sport bikes I had tires I just knew I would like and would buy them regularly. It was predictable to me. The ADV tire world is just so broad you just kind of have to do it. My focus was good dry, decent wet, and decent gravel. Didn't care about mud or sand as much. I currently have Metz Tourances which are 90/10 and they're "ok" but were a bit squirrely on gravel. They're also dead.

Can I ask what you paid?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:07 PM   #71
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fixed by tire and replaced wheels bearings today. Pretty stoked to be able to just hop on again and not worry.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #72
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What's the used bike market like? I have a Ducati Monster that I just don't ride anymore and was planning on selling next month after a few more rides.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 06:07 AM   #73
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
What's the used bike market like? I have a Ducati Monster that I just don't ride anymore and was planning on selling next month after a few more rides.
It’s insane. Like if you want to sell, there’s probably not a better time.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:29 PM   #74
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I just ordered a set of 705's as well. I spent a bunch of time looking at a bunch of tires as well and I think the 70/30 was a good compromise. There are plenty of 50/50's that are a far cry from big blocks if you know what I mean. Dunlop Trailmax's, Avon AV85's and the like are much nicer patterns than motoz tractionators for example, but they're rated 50/50 the same. Other tires, like the Avon AV54 is considered a 90/10 but has a pattern that matches other 80/20 tires.

Tires are hard and really a feel thing, through all of my sport bikes I had tires I just knew I would like and would buy them regularly. It was predictable to me. The ADV tire world is just so broad you just kind of have to do it. My focus was good dry, decent wet, and decent gravel. Didn't care about mud or sand as much. I currently have Metz Tourances which are 90/10 and they're "ok" but were a bit squirrely on gravel. They're also dead.

Can I ask what you paid?
Yes its certainly a lot more complex for an ADV bike.

I paid $135 for the front and $158 for the rear, so $293 for the set. Bought them at GW Cycle. Mounting/balancing will set you back another $50 per tire.

Going thru the break in process with them now. Have about 70km on them so far. Spent some time in an empty parking lot yesterday doing figure 8's and tight circles to get the edges worn in. Actually made myself a bit dizzy in the process, lol.

Rode in some loose gravel on the way home and they did pretty good. Still felt like it was floating from side to side a little bit but I think thats pretty much unavoidable in loose gravel.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:25 PM   #75
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:

I have Mitas 07 and came from Heideneaus. I’ve heard TKC80 are great on and off...but don’t last

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 09:50 PM   #76
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It’s insane. Like if you want to sell, there’s probably not a better time.
I'm having a heck of a time trying to sell mine, but the older used sport bike market is terrible. Insurance rates in SK are nuts and the market is feeling it.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:32 PM   #77
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzie_DeBear View Post
I have Mitas 07 and came from Heideneaus. I’ve heard TKC80 are great on and off...but don’t last
TKC's are also a bunch more money iirc. Heidenaus are supposed to last forever but at the expense of good road grip, how did you find them?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2021, 06:37 AM   #78
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I'm having a heck of a time trying to sell mine, but the older used sport bike market is terrible. Insurance rates in SK are nuts and the market is feeling it.
I put mine for sale on here yesterday. The thing is bikes (just like any other recreational equipment) are hard to come by. There are supply issues with the pandemic and demand is through the roof. I do like having mine, but just don’t ride enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #79
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I put mine for sale on here yesterday. The thing is bikes (just like any other recreational equipment) are hard to come by. There are supply issues with the pandemic and demand is through the roof. I do like having mine, but just don’t ride enough.
Mine has a dark cloud of having been a write off due to a low speed drop which did some cosmetic damage. It's a great bike with some performance mods and I've done all the repairs but it just invites the low ballers in.

The art of buying and respectful negotiating has been killed by the anonymity of the internet.

I don't really care as I just put permits on when the mood suits me, but it would be nice to pass it on to someone who really enjoys riding. If I was in BC or close to the mountains I'd ride a lot more, prairie riding doesn't give me anything though. haha

For anyone interested; https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...600/1560450230
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #80
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now debating on crash bars. As you can tell in the pic of my bike I posted earlier, its pretty stock. No crash bars or skid plate yet.

Wondering if anyone has opinions on what crash bars may be best. Fortnine has Givi and SW-Motech bars available. The Givi bars are about $50 less.

I am wondering if both would work with most skid plates or if I need to plan ahead for that? Any experience here with that scenario?