Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #141
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
12 pick and let's be real these aren't NHL games they are pre season at best
Nope it is the 13th pick they will get to if they sweep you are forgetting Seattle
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Nope it is the 13th pick they will get to if they sweep you are forgetting Seattle
Are you counting AZ's forfeited pick?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #143
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are people saying the Flames blew the chance at getting sixth overall. In a season without Covid disruptions the Flames would never have been that low.

Do people really think that ownership would have been happy with starting Domingue and icing a worse line up than they could when the Flames weren't eliminated?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #144
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Lots of fun when even a team's solid moves get hammered on.

Moving down twice to grab two additional picks and still getting a solid prospect in Zary may not get you dancing in the streets, but it's exactly the types of outcomes that build up a system.

Lots to be depressed about, lets not look down on victories.
Zary looked really solid in the AHL and with the Blazers before he got knocked out. Hopefully his injury isn't too bad. Still as good of a prospect as that the Flames could have taken before trading down in my opinion.

I get this season has sucked but not everything that has been done is terrible.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #145
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Why are people saying the Flames blew the chance at getting sixth overall. In a season without Covid disruptions the Flames would never have been that low.

Do people really think that ownership would have been happy with starting Domingue and icing a worse line up than they could when the Flames weren't eliminated?
People think the Flames have been out for two months but if they had ONE more win they could make it by winning the next three against Vancouver who has mailed it in.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:41 AM   #146
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is times like this that I argue for a revamp to the drafting rules. Last 2 picks get 1st and 2nd overall. The highest seeded non-playoff team from each conference gets 3 and 4 (however you want to rank them against one another - closest to making the playoffs, highest points overall, etc). Teams that are close will at least have something to play for.

You can still have lotteries and so on. Maybe it isn't fair. I don't know. I am sure it would result in a few more games every season for team to actually play hard, and stop so much bitching and moaning about not tanking.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #147
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

even odds lottery...with a salary cap bad teams shouldn't need so much charity
Old 05-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #148
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
On April 9, only 5 teams had fewer points than Calgary.

The difference between 6th OA and 11/12th overall (this is where the Flames will pick) is a lot.
It's easily worth more than a late first. In fact, this amount might even be worth more than Monahan. Especially when you consider the fact that there is a tier between the top 8 and the picks afterwards.
Also, at 6th OA you have a 15.2% chance of winning the lottery. Rather than 6.3%.

And the prospects might be "middling", but they're also the best non-CHL prospects the Flames have.
I'm not sure how much you've followed the Heat this year, but Phillips and Mackey were great and deserve to play. And even moreso, they deserve to be developed.
Is that a fact? Every single year people say stuff like this and every year there are players picked after the supposed ledge that are better than the ones within it. The difference between 6th and 11th is the worse odds that you have noted for the lottery and then it's a difference between two unknowns. The consternation about this is overblown. We've all seen how drafts play out and acting like this is a certain catastrophe because of a few spots is absurd.

6. Moritz Seider (also taken before 12th: Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras, Vasily Podkolzin)
12. Matthew Boldy (also available: Spencer Knight, Cole Caulfield, Alex Newhook)

6. Filip Zadina (Quinn Hughes, Vitali Kravtsov, Evan Bouchard)
12. Noah Dobson (Joel Farabee, Rasmus Sandin, K'Andre Miller)

6. Cody Glass (Casey Mittelstadt, Owen Tippett, Gabriel Vilardi)
12. Martin Necas (Nick Suzuki, Josh Norris, Robert Thomas)

6. Matthew Tkachuk (Clayton Keller, Mikahil Sergachev, Tyson Jost)
12. Michael McLeod (Charlie McAvoy, Jakob Chychrun, Jake Bean)

6. Pavel Zacha (Ivan Provorov, Mikko Rantanen, Zach Werenski)
12. Denis Gurianov (Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Thomas Chabot)

Sure, moving down a few spots is less exciting when it comes to the draft, but it's only a little bit less exciting.

I don't get how people think it would work taking into account the coaching staff and players on the team. How are you supposed to purposely lose without consequences to the the culture and atmosphere of the team?

Last edited by Savvy27; 05-14-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #149
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Are you counting AZ's forfeited pick?
I am not I thought that was last year?
Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #150
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They lost their 2nd round pick last year and their first round pick this year:

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ing-violations
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #151
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
You very well may be right, but Zary (and Pelletier) are about as exciting of prospects as a cake fart. They are like smaller Joe Colbornes
I... do not know how you could seriously reach this conclusion about either of these players, unless you're joking.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #152
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope they lost it this season

12th at worst...unless someone behind them wins the lottery...can you imagine. Although, if the Flames had more wins they would be in the playoffs anyway with this sad division.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #153
Drunk Uncle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
On April 9, only 5 teams had fewer points than Calgary.

The difference between 6th OA and 11/12th overall (this is where the Flames will pick) is a lot.
It's easily worth more than a late first. In fact, this amount might even be worth more than Monahan. Especially when you consider the fact that there is a tier between the top 8 and the picks afterwards.
Also, at 6th OA you have a 15.2% chance of winning the lottery. Rather than 6.3%.

And the prospects might be "middling", but they're also the best non-CHL prospects the Flames have.
I'm not sure how much you've followed the Heat this year, but Phillips and Mackey were great and deserve to play. And even moreso, they deserve to be developed.
I don't see the "tier" you are speaking of as this big cliff that we should tank for. There are a lot of solid players but nothing elite in the top half of the draft. I think it's perfectly reasonable to think that Fabian Lysell or Mason McTavish becomes as good as any forward who goes ahead of them.

Heck, I can't remember the last time I've seen such soft reports on a consensus 1st OA pick. I'd bet Powers is more an Erik Johnson than a Hedman. I said it before but I'd be pissed to win the lottery in such a lowly draft.

I'd also like to see Phillips, Mackey, Ruzicka etc., but I'm not going to be bent out of shape if it isn't right this second. They will have plenty of runway in camp next year if they don't play this year. The NHL has broken way more players than it has ever developed. If those prospects are good enough they will be in the NHL eventually. There is no rush and it's certainly not the big deal some are making it out to be.

I see more value in furthering the commitment to work ethic attention to detail and altering the system to what Sutter really wants to play with the last few games than I see with tanking for a few percentage points difference in picking high in the draft.
Drunk Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #154
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Correct me if I'm wrong but did we not play the Canucks last night?

If you want to cheer for the Flames to lose to the Canucks or Oilers you might as well get your ass out of here and join Riotfans.com or Seattlepuck.com.

Garbage.
Old 05-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #155
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary was never really that low though. They had a ton of games in hand. It's like when they were "4 points back" but Montreal had 3-4 games in hand.

They have played .500 hockey it's not like they are on some massive heater. Losing 10 in a row wasn't gonna happen. Especially with this competition.
The Flames were also 6th last by point percentage on April 9.

Also, they're 8-5 since then.
So they're 62% since then, not .500.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #156
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames were also 6th last by point percentage on April 9.

Also, they're 8-5 since then.
So they're 62% since then, not .500.
Sure, but did you really expect them to pull up stakes when they weren't eliminated and try to lose?
Old 05-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #157
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
People think the Flames have been out for two months but if they had ONE more win they could make it by winning the next three against Vancouver who has mailed it in.
Mathematically...sure i guess?

Even if the 6 things that needed to line up to scrape into the playoffs did magically line up. Does anyone have any illusions they would have made some noise when they got there? That we'd take 4 from the Leafs? The way this season has gone and the way this team has played?

We would get dummied by the Leafs. And i hate the Leafs.

The team was out of the playoffs months ago.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #158
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post

I don't get how people think it would work taking into account the coaching staff and players on the team. How are you supposed to purposely lose without consequences to the the culture and atmosphere of the team?
Ohhh yeah, the culture of a team who couldn't win head to heads against teams like ottawa and montreal when it mattered this year is definitely worthy of protecting over the chance of getting a better player for the future.

Give your head a shake. These #######s know they're golfing in a couple of weeks, sitting 90% of them changes nothing about team culture at this point.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 03:42 PM   #159
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Mathematically...sure i guess?

Even if the 6 things that needed to line up to scrape into the playoffs did magically line up. Does anyone have any illusions they would have made some noise when they got there? That we'd take 4 from the Leafs? The way this season has gone and the way this team has played?

We would get dummied by the Leafs. And i hate the Leafs.

The team was out of the playoffs months ago.
That is the thing about the playoffs it could definitely have happened. Toronto has not won a round since 2004 and would have been playing a Calgary team that was coming in with an impressive record of 12-4 to make it. Flames have an all-time coach in Sutter who has won 17 rounds of playoffs and Keefe has lost the only qualifying round he coached in the NHL. Markstrom gets hot Flames steal a game, Leafs have had leaky goaltending throughout the season, they grip their sticks tight, doubt creeps in, Sutter helps the Flames confidence grow and Toronto is out.

Obviously didn’t happen but I would t be overly shocked if the Leafs lose to the Habs if Montreal gets their injured players back.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:52 PM   #160
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but did we not play the Canucks last night?

If you want to cheer for the Flames to lose to the Canucks or Oilers you might as well get your ass out of here and join Riotfans.com or Seattlepuck.com.

Garbage.
Well after the discussion that's gone on in this thread, I've decided to join onlyfans.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post: