Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #1001
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You'll get a new microsim with it.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #1002
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Who did you call? What did you say? I am interested in lowering my talk costs as I feel i am getting ripped off with only 50 mins for like $30.

Did you apply your Fido bucks to the $259 HUP costs? I didn't know you could do that.
Just called 611 and hit 0 until I was talking to an agent. The first person you talk to can't help you. I just told them I was switching to Wind for the $35 unlimited talk / $17.50 unlimited data/tethering plan. Within a couple minutes he forwarded me to "Customer Relations" (read: retentions) and they tried to put together a plan that would make me happy based on my usage.

You need to have some bargaining power though. I had less than a year on my contract so I could make a case for cancelling and taking Wind's $150 porting credit. If you're only a year in or whatever they might not give you much.

You can't get the iPhone value package with VVM, CID, 2500 SMS anymore but they've got similar stuff.

They aren't super flexible - they still have set plans but they're much better than retail plans. Tell them what features you need and they'll put something together.

And yeah, Fido dollars count towards iPhone purchases

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #1003
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Well I own a 16GB iPhone 4, I am just not in possession of it. Rogers activation computers are getting bent over. They couldn't activate it. They have one sitting in the back for me. They said they should be able to get it activated this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest.
Same here for me, makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one that stood in line for a piece of paper with an Apple serial number and a signature on it.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #1004
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Holy crap. Just bought my iPad. The apple store is an absolute zoo. I had to wait in a line that was about 5 people long, but they were pretty quick in dealing with me.

They had 2 tables of them sitting out, but nobody was around so we gave it a spin. Very very slick. Resolution is top notch, the camera took some killer pictures and the video was extremely nice. I would like to see the video on a big screen, but I would say there's be no problem using it as a family camera.

One thing that shocked me was how crisp the HD video was (videos you load on I mean). They had a music video to sample and it was brilliant.

Here's a pic of the line. One thing you can't notice is that the line at the back snakes about 6 times behind itself.

Last edited by Russic; 07-30-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #1005
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is still the lineup?
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #1006
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
This is still the lineup?
Pretty much ya. It was at 12:30, but they didn't expect it to die down much.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #1007
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Wow! That is insane.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #1008
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That is beyond ridiculous.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #1009
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeesh. Online store it is.....work your little fingers faster sweatshop Foxconn employees. 3 weeks is not acceptable.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #1010
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
FYI for all you Telus users out there, they will not be matching the plans from Virgin, Fido, Bell and Rogers for 6GB for $30.
Yes they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I'd pay $420 to avoid that line.
I'd simply wait. The obsession to get things on the first day they come out has always been funny to me. These phones are useless paperweights until they're fully jailbroken and everything is working... I'll consider one then if I haven't decided that I like the Desire better at that point.

Last edited by Acey; 07-30-2010 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #1011
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
They activated it but they didn't do any transfer.. there was one guy in line who had 200 contacts on his SIM, and they told him the only way they knew how to do it was by hand.
photon, one more question...I bought my iPhone 4 online this morning from Apple. I wanted the unlocked version so I can take it to Europe with me. My current iPhone 3 is on the Rogers network and thus, runs with the regular SIM card. Will I have to go through Rogers to get them to activate my new micro SIM?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:38 PM   #1012
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Oh look.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #1013
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Kinda puts a dent into the argument that the problem only happens in low service areas.

lol.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #1014
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
photon, one more question...I bought my iPhone 4 online this morning from Apple. I wanted the unlocked version so I can take it to Europe with me. My current iPhone 3 is on the Rogers network and thus, runs with the regular SIM card. Will I have to go through Rogers to get them to activate my new micro SIM?
If you log on your online rogers account there is now an option for "change sim"

where you can activate your new micro sim on your own!
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #1015
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I'd simply wait. The obsession to get things on the first day they come out has always been funny to me.
I only want to get one today because I'm going away on vacation for the next week and wanted the new toy before I left - otherwise I wouldn't care.
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #1016
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also... anybody "amazed" by the speed of this phone has obviously never used a smartphone other than the iPhone before.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #1017
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Kinda puts a dent into the argument that the problem only happens in low service areas.

lol.
In my neighbourhood and at Market Mall death gripping on Rogers I did not see a drop in reception from 5 bars.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #1018
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
If you log on your online rogers account there is now an option for "change sim"

where you can activate your new micro sim on your own!
Outstanding - thank you Anything to avoid dealing with customer service is good news. Now I'm excited!
Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #1019
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

lol.
Unless that phone is not displaying the correct reception to begin with.

Either way, the real test (like it should have been from the beginning) is whether the phone drops calls or not. And they're saying what, only 1 per 100 more than the 3GS? So be it.

Until the day the newest Android phones are released within a reasonable timeframe to Canada, these things will continue to sell like hotcakes. One day people will see the light.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #1020
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
In my neighbourhood and at Market Mall death gripping on Rogers I did not see a drop in reception from 5 bars.
And some people weren't able to replicate the issue in New York on the stupid AT&T network with low service.

Doesn't mean it isn't an issue though.

I was completely under the impression that the problem was entirely in low service areas, and clearly that is not the case.

Tags
angering fanin80 , apple suxors