Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #21
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wait a bit, and maybe Toys R Us will have a clearance...
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a shoutout to Pedalheads for getting my kid (5) to ride her bike within the first day of camp - we're sending her back for two weeks this year because she loved it so much. We were the folks who spent some cash on a kid's bike - we got a Spawn bike for her and it was great - super lightweight, easy for her to ride. She's a 36 lb kid, we didn't want a heavy, hard to manoeuvre bike for her (plus we're in a condo, wanted something that we could carry downstairs easy). Sadly, she's outgrown it and we'll be on the search for a new one, but I don't have any regrets with that purchase.

For sure look on Kijiji - I'll be putting her bike up on there as soon as we find a replacement for it.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #23
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is possible to get a light cheap bike. Canadian Tire is your best bet. My oldest is turning 12 this year and we are going to get her a nice bike now. She has always outgrown her previous year's bike.

There is no use getting an expensive bike for a 5 year old. They might even outgrow it during the warm season - that happened to us twice.

Easiest way to teach a kid to bike is take them down a gentle grassy hill. That's how Petalheads does it. I taught my youngest to bike in about 15 minutes.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

if you children don’t want to ride a bike because it’s a steel frame and doesn’t say Kona or Cannondale, I’d have to question if they actually enjoy riding a bike. Children will either outgrow or inevitably not lock up a bike and find it gone long before they are going to perform past the bikes capabilities.
81MC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #25
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
if you children don’t want to ride a bike because it’s a steel frame and doesn’t say Kona or Cannondale, I’d have to question if they actually enjoy riding a bike. Children will either outgrow or inevitably not lock up a bike and find it gone long before they are going to perform past the bikes capabilities.
You want it to be reasonably enjoyable though. If you like to take your kids out to ride, you don't want them to resort to walking their bikes up hills because they have no other gears and their bike is heavy. There are places around Calgary that are relatively flat or have short incline that can be powered through for sure, but in my neighbourhood that isn't the case unless you want to go for a really boring short ride.

Still, I would scour Kijiji or Pinkbike or something for choices before buying a new one that the kids might outgrow.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #26
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isla Bikes make quality bikes for children. Just want to throw it out for you as an option:

https://www.islabikes.com/
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #27
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
You want it to be reasonably enjoyable though. If you like to take your kids out to ride, you don't want them to resort to walking their bikes up hills because they have no other gears and their bike is heavy. There are places around Calgary that are relatively flat or have short incline that can be powered through for sure, but in my neighbourhood that isn't the case unless you want to go for a really boring short ride.

Still, I would scour Kijiji or Pinkbike or something for choices before buying a new one that the kids might outgrow.
CT or Walmart bikes use the same components. Cheapest shimanos.
You are better off spending extra on a 24 inch inch bike because kids are older, more capable and those bike can come with goodies like better gear sets, hydrolic brakes etc.
But be prepared to spend $150 every time your kid snaps the master cylinder....my kid did that twice in one summer

For the original poster, my advice would be to get the better bike for the 8 year old and keep it for the little one. The 5 year old will be fine with a CT or Walmart $100 bike. Costco is another option.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #28
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
if you children don’t want to ride a bike because it’s a steel frame and doesn’t say Kona or Cannondale....
I think that more kids would be concerned about the color and any extra bling on it (i.e. does the kid think the bike looks cool) before the brand name on the downtube.

as a complete aside, there are a couple of vids on youtube where adult cyclists ride walmart bikes on trails and at bike parks - there is some amusing commentary on the vids
Old 03-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #29
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a stride or balance bike for the 5 year old.
My son is 4.5 and started riding a 2 wheel bike with no training wheels last June.
He had a strider and we would still go for rides and he would keep up. The balance he learned got him ready to ride a lot faster. And then when you go from balance to pedals don't add the training wheels, I have seen family members do this and there is regression on the balance.

Also I have heard pedal heads is awesome for them to learn to ride.

All bikes we have bought off of Kijiji.

Last edited by FlamesKickAss; 03-15-2018 at 10:36 AM.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #30
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
If you want your kid to continue cycling, don't buy them garbage from Canadian Tire or Walmart.
LOL! Wow!

It's a bicycle.
For a five and a eight year old.

They're out having a bit of fun. Not training for Le Tour

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #31
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^is resale value a consideration?

My kid rode a Spawn bike last season (fantastic bike btw). Put it up on kijiji and sold it for basically what I paid. That won't happen with a CT/Walmart bike.

Also peace of mind. I can't put my kid on a garbage bike either because I simply don't trust the frame or build.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM   #32
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
LOL! Wow!

It's a bicycle.
For a five and a eight year old.

They're out having a bit of fun. Not training for Le Tour
There's a snob for every topic it seems.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruttiger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #33
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a snob for not wanting my kids to ride heavy ####ty bikes? Ok.....
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:18 AM   #34
RockLicker
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracher View Post
^is resale value a consideration?

My kid rode a Spawn bike last season (fantastic bike btw). Put it up on kijiji and sold it for basically what I paid. That won't happen with a CT/Walmart bike.

Also peace of mind. I can't put my kid on a garbage bike either because I simply don't trust the frame or build.
I think the idea that the CT/Walmart bike is going to maim your kid or something is maybe a bit aggressive, with a little elbow grease and due diligence they can be OK, if inefficient and a bit frustrating to ride. I do agree that the used high end kids bike market in Calgary is awesome. I bought a second hand Spawn when my daughter moved up from the run bike. Aside from scratches associated with kids learning to ride, that thing is a beast. I probably shouldn't admit it, but I've done many a late night drunken circus bear act for friends on that little bike out camping, and it has no give. It's now going to my son this summer, and when he's done with it, I expect to lose very little on resale. Daughter is now on an islabike for her first geared bike and I can't say enough about them. They look a little bit pedestrian, but the geometry is absolutely perfect. Was surprised at how quickly she became very proficient on it.

I'm a bike guy so I don't mind spending a little more on "quality", and the used market is amazing. Kids don't use up these bikes, as long as they are cared for they will go forever. The one caveat is that the used market is very competitive. Good deals get snapped up pretty quickly. Have to scan kijiji pretty actively and wait for the good ones to pop up.
RockLicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:24 AM   #35
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'm a snob for not wanting my kids to ride heavy ####ty bikes? Ok.....
No, but you're dramatic and over the top for suggesting that 'all' 5 & 8 year old kids are so fragile that riding a "####ty heavy" bike will traumatize them and put them off further bike riding.

Last edited by Bagor; 03-16-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #36
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the weight difference also isn't that great. The bikes are so small that you could make the damned things from carbon fibre and the weight savings would not be material.

I've looked at the "good" kid's bikes at bike stores. There's barely any difference. Even my kids didn't care.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #37
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The risk aspect is interesting to me. Have low quality bikes become much worse then they ever were? Are the YouTube videos of 200lbs adults destroying them making a market impact? Are parents less willing/able to do a routine inspection on their kids equipment?
I think the most important part of your children’s biking experience should be teaching them to do a quick once over before riding - even on a $3000 bike, you should be making sure the wheel is still secure before bombing down the hill.
81MC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM   #38
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The risk aspect is interesting to me. Have low quality bikes become much worse then they ever were? Are the YouTube videos of 200lbs adults destroying them making a market impact? Are parents less willing/able to do a routine inspection on their kids equipment?
I think the most important part of your children’s biking experience should be teaching them to do a quick once over before riding - even on a $3000 bike, you should be making sure the wheel is still secure before bombing down the hill.
Off-tangent, but I think some parents are like this. As an example, I have seen more a couple of parents send their kids to skating lessons with skates that are obviously way too big for them and with bike helmets that are on so loose that they wouldn't offer any protection in a fall, in fact they would probably cause more injuries. So, how enjoyable could skating be if your parents are sending you out with skates that are too big? Are you going to want to keep skating? I think that bad first experience sticks with you for a while.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #39
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Talk about over analyzing a little kid's bicycle purchase

They are not going to Tour De France. Any bike will do for kids that age, but I'd consider getting a "better" bike for the older kid if the kid is into biking.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #40
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

This is truly no different than any other thing you buy. Typically, the more expensive thing will be better than the cheaper thing (up to a point). Get what you can afford.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote