Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #5661
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
EXCLUSIVE: The Athletic: #CBJ alternate captain Jack Johnson has requested a trade

Chiarelli should be all over this. Massive overpayment incoming.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #5662
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Brouwer interview struck me as a little more than your normal run of the mill intermission interview. He basically stated that he has value because he can play up and down in the line up. His reference to being on a 'new' team was also odd.

On its own perhaps this interview doesn't mean much, but I recall another interview he had with the fan at training camp where he said the end of the year interview with the coaching staff/Treliving etc from the previous season went well.

Basically, Brouwer seems to think he's doing a good job of what he was brought here to do, or at least that is what he is going to say publicly. I have serious doubts Treliving and the rest of the org are satisfied with what he has brought. he should either be a second line RW or a strong third. The Flames have given him more than his fair share of good opportunities to show his worth & he seems to be disinterested most nights.

If they could get out from under his contract, I'm sure they would leap at the opportunity. Griven this organizations history, I think we have one more year of Brouwer before they will buy him out. The other option would be to trade him, but your going to have to attach a decent pick for some other team to do you the favour and I don't think the Flames are trading any more picks for a while.

All this said, it was pretty good to see him drop the gloves in Tampa. It doesn't have to be dropping the gloves, but it was nice to see some sort of indication that he cares. Far too often he appears to bea passenger.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-13-2018 at 09:36 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #5663
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, if the interview means anything then maybe he'd loosen up his NTC.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #5664
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
The Brouwer interview struck me as a little more than your normal run of the mill intermission interview. He basically stated that he has value because he can play up and down in the line up. His reference to being on a 'new' team was also odd.

On its own perhaps this interview doesn't mean much, but I recall another interview he had with the fan at training camp where he said the end of the year interview with the coaching staff/Treliving etc from the previous season went well.

Basically, Brouwer seems to think he's doing a good job of what he was brought here to do, or at least that is what he is going to say publicly. I have serious doubts Treliving and the rest of the org are satisfied with what he has brought.ne should either be a second line RE or a strong third line RW. The Flames have given him more than his fair share of opportunities to show his worth.

If they could get out from under his contract, I'm sure they would leap at the opportunity. Great Ben this organizations history, I think we have one more year of Brouwer before they will buy him out. The other option would be to trade him, but your going to have to attach a decent pick for some other team to do you the favour and I don't think the Flames are trading any more picks for a while.
Yeah I noticed that too. Seems to have a chip on his shoulder.

Paraphrasing: ‘I earned my way up the lineup in Chicago. Now I’m doing it here too on my new team.’

He’s playing his best hockey as a Flame but I think he barely belongs on the 4th line. IMO he is benefitting from his line mates and putting in a bit more physical effort. He’s not fooling anyone. When flames are healthy or there is a better option he will return to his normal spot as opposed to moving up the lineup.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #5665
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Meh, if the interview means anything then maybe he'd loosen up his NTC.
He could tear up the NTC and add the KHL and he would still be a Flame on that contract.

This team always wants to import character. With guys like Johnny and Gio I don’t get it. They have an abundance of the stuff.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #5666
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maroon for JJ then oilers extend JJ? Might make some sense for both sides. Oil get an nhl ready defenseman and former high pick which we know they covet. Maroon heads to a contender as a rental.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #5667
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Maroon for JJ then oilers extend JJ? Might make some sense for both sides. Oil get an nhl ready defenseman and former high pick which we know they covet. Maroon heads to a contender as a rental.
Oilers might have to add, or add a condition if Johnson re-signs, but that seems fairly reasonable. I thought Johnson’s stats would be better, but he seems lately to be a 20-25 point defenseman, consistently a minus, with past powerplay work. Was he bumped by Jones from the PP the last couple of years?

Unfortunately, that might help the Oilers, but fortunately, it might be less than they could get for Maroon as a deadline rental from a team looking for someone like him for the hump/playoff run.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #5668
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Oilers can't afford to extend JJ nor keep Maroon. That is what happens when your GM is a complete moron.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #5669
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

How could the Oilers fit in a long term contract for Johnson without moving RNH? Oilers are thin already with quality NHL forwards. I don’t think they can afford to lose RNH at this point as he’s a better center than Draisaitl how is more effective playing winger on McDavid’s line.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #5670
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup... jj is a 4.3 million today while Maroon is 1.5...Edmonton is going to be stretched very thin next year wrt to cap space as it is

Columbus isn't that dumb...who would want maroon longterm and give up JJ for a rental? JJ should be able to fetch more than that

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-13-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #5671
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Oilers can't afford to extend JJ nor keep Maroon. That is what happens when your GM is a complete moron.
Looking at it more I didn’t realize quite how bear trapped they were. How has chiarelli made such a mess?
Old 01-13-2018, 10:59 AM   #5672
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at it more I didn’t realize quite how bear trapped they were. How has chiarelli made such a mess?
like a kids with their first credit card...don't realize the piper will have to be paid at some point.

it looks like the Oilers will have 14 million in cap space next year, with 10 players unsigned...https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

RNH was always someone that was most likely to get traded but that puts a gaping hole in their lineup... but they still need to fill their roster with actual players and not pylons
Old 01-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #5673
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

Paraphrasing: ‘I earned my way up the lineup in Chicago. Now I’m doing it here too on my new team.’

He’s playing his best hockey as a Flame but I think he barely belongs on the 4th line. IMO he is benefitting from his line mates and putting in a bit more physical effort. He’s not fooling anyone. When flames are healthy or there is a better option he will return to his normal spot as opposed to moving up the lineup.
His best hockey was when he first got here, when he was actually scoring aome goals. Then he fell off after a few months and never recovered.
The Following User Says Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #5674
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but with Brouwer playing on the Backlund line he's actually looked like an NHL player. I have to wonder, if this keeps up over a larger sample size, if splitting Frolik from that line when he's healthy might ultimately be better for the team. As soon as Brouwer plays anywhere else he basically becomes incapable of contributing for whatever reason, but I feel like Frolik is one of those guys who would be pretty good anywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 AM   #5675
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Just playing devil's advocate here, but with Brouwer playing on the Backlund line he's actually looked like an NHL player. I have to wonder, if this keeps up over a larger sample size, if splitting Frolik from that line when he's healthy might ultimately be better for the team. As soon as Brouwer plays anywhere else he basically becomes incapable of contributing for whatever reason, but I feel like Frolik is one of those guys who would be pretty good anywhere.
It is an interesting thought, and one to at least consider I would think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:47 AM   #5676
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
would that allow Lazar to center frolik and Mangiapane? might be worth trying
Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #5677
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
would that allow Lazar to center frolik and Mangiapane? might be worth trying
Lazar needs to go to Stockton or the moon or wherever, he is a bust. He has good energy but little to no NHL skill.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:07 PM   #5678
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lazar needs to go to Stockton or the moon or wherever, he is a bust. He has good energy but little to no NHL skill.
it would be tough to argue that he hasn't been a disappointment...but hoping that Frolik and Mangiapane could help him...
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #5679
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Frolik was on the fourth line when Chicago won the cup...
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #5680
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post

I just hope Brouwer realizes he actually earned his way to the fourth line in the first place and he's being compensated extremely well despite it.
Closed Thread