Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the work you've done here and I think that the rules look really solid here. Its hard to know without seeing them in practice of course, but it looks like you have a good balance here between instilling a little more parity over the longer team without destroying the top teams or coddling the weaker ones.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey.modern View Post
How do I join this?
Basically complete a registration form here:http://cphl.calgarypuck.com/pages/registration2.htm

And then hope for a team to come available in the coming weeks.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #23
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
All these changes impact GMs and they will have to adjust.
You still have the option to re-sign the ones you value. I would imagine you'll be re-signing Rick Nash.
Well I don't really have much of a choice now. I am going to be facing a cap crunch and can't really afford to sign him but had the option to trade him elsewhere. Now I do not have that option because you guys are putting this rule into place ASAP a week out from deadline.

I like the rules but the timing of the UFA one is ridiculous. Put that into effect in 2015-16 so that the work I have done and others isnt a complete waste.

Think of the guys picking up rentals for a playoff run, guys that still have value but they might not re-sign...I am sure the cost would have been a lot lower had they known this rule was coming.
MJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:36 AM   #24
Knut

Exp:

I like them but I also have some concern about the UFA rights one. It is great way to get under cap and bring in assets at the same time. I think it will increase the amount of poor grids being given out.

Maybe allow a sign and trade period or something.

EDIT: I think it also kills the UFA rental market at the deadline.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #25
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for the new UFA rule:

I can trade (example purposes) Sean Bergenheim who will be a UFA at the end of the season anytime between now and the trade deadline without an issue. If for some reason he is not traded after the deadline, I will either need to sign him or let him go to UFA, I will not have the ability to make any post-season/pre-draft/draft day deals with him?

I'm just trying to figure it out as this is my first season and I'm still figuring out how UFA works anyway.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #26
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Correct

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #27
I wanna be like Miikka
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Good changes except the UFa rule. With that in place and the new award restrictions basically barely any ufas will be moved and I know if I get one then it will be at a lower price. I think it just devalues UFAs and restricts trading.
I wanna be like Miikka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #28
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't normally agree with MJK, but I think the UFA rule change should be grandfathered in this season.

I planned my entire season around being able to trade UFA rights after the playoffs.

I like the rule otherwise.

Edit: after thinking about it, there is a way in the current rules to trade UFA rights, even after this rule change - so you may want to either close that loophole or rethink the rule

Step 1: Find a team to trade with
Step 2: Get them to trade you cap so you can sign the player (will have to throw in a token pick or whatever to make this legal with the current rule set. 9.99M for a 5th rounder anyone?)
Step 3: Trade the player to them, with the cap being returned (and the token pick coming back. High Priced UFA + 9.99 for a 5th rounder anyone?)

Last edited by dsavillian; 03-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #29
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

More thoughts:

First off, I really appreciate the time the commissioners took to go through this. I've gone through similar exercises when it comes to designing board games and it can be very difficult to change and test rule changes - especially if they've been static for a really long time.

1. ECHL Contracts.
I like this change, but one question: Is it based on where they are drafted in the CPHL or NHL?

2. Draft
Cool, it'll be interesting to see how well it works

3. Awards
a) I don't mind removing this, but I never really won anything anyway.
b) Great, but can we look at ways to boost participation in this?
c) Also great, but same as b)
d) No thoughts on this one really

4. UFAs
a) I think the change is fine, but I think it's a little jarring to happen this close to the deadline.

5. Waivers
I also like this one quite a bit

6. Re-rates
I'm a big fan of this one (I was pushing for it earlier in the year).
Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome job by the league IMO, I like all changes a lot actually. However, I agree with others that it would be great if the UFA rule was pushed back by a year. Personally I have no problems with it this year bc none of my UFAs are gridable anyway, but I'm sure other GMs have made plans to trade UFA rights again after the season. Would prefer to grandfather this one so that everyone can prepare for this.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. ECHL Contracts.
Not too sure with this but, never know it may be a great idea... glad to see it is CPHL draft and not the NHL draft though. I wish the contract were handed out that way

2. Draft
Don't see what the issue was, I have a feeling this is forcing non playoff teams to have a chance to get a player because they were to lazy to sind in an email... regardless could be a great addition and look forward to seeing if it can be successful. Definite aid to weaker teams so in the end a good addition

3. Awards
a) Very happy to see this, as someone that did the take for awards for a good bit I understand that getting 3 votes for a certain award could can you big money. Also not getting an award that you think you should get cost you money as well (tavares, something I simed for very much like i did with Mcgrattan I just knew I had an easier time with an award no one cared about and pulled on the heartstrings of a fellow flames)
b) Hoping this was gone, hate them. Would be nice to change the NHL awards and have the system more winning a lotto
d) Interesting

4. UFAs
Very gald to see this, brings an end of trading for a UFA at the deadline for a 2nd use him for the playoffs and be able sell him at a high price in the off season. rentals shouldn't be for free (no lose to the orginization) that loophole needed to be fixed

5. Waivers
As someone that fought hard for this last year and again. A the team that could take advantage of this the most of any team (I estimated 20M for me this year) Very happy to see this loophole fixed

6. Re-rates
It is what it is

Very good day for me, not sure how the POW awards can be fixed and why it was saved but understand that the need can be there for it be successful, hopefully with it still here we can help kick some life into it

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 03-19-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:35 PM   #32
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
1. ECHL Contracts.
I like this change, but one question: Is it based on where they are drafted in the CPHL or NHL?

3. Awards
a) I don't mind removing this, but I never really won anything anyway.
b) Great, but can we look at ways to boost participation in this?
c) Also great, but same as b)
d) No thoughts on this one really
Draft question: CPHL.

Sponsorships/Weekly Awards: Honestly it isn't the league's job to boost participation. GMs choose to participate in what we offer or they don't. If people want a more active league, the best way, is to be more active.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #33
Knut

Exp:

Is the reasoning for the UFA rule to add more potential UFAs to the pool ?

I currently have a UFA in Francois Beachamin on my roster. He is a definite borderline Grid Player. I have been unable to garner much in the way of a return now, and felt that i could perhaps get a better return in the off season. This basically means I am actually MORE likely to grid him than to let him go to UFA as he would then still be an asset.

Not sure what this change really accomplishes
Old 03-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #34
JiriHrdina

Exp:

I forgot to mention we also discussed reducing the # of rounds in the draft - but decided to keep it a 5 rounds. For teams that enjoy the draft - no reason to take it away.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #35
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
Is the reasoning for the UFA rule to add more potential UFAs to the pool ?

I currently have a UFA in Francois Beachamin on my roster. He is a definite borderline Grid Player. I have been unable to garner much in the way of a return now, and felt that i could perhaps get a better return in the off season. This basically means I am actually MORE likely to grid him than to let him go to UFA as he would then still be an asset.

Not sure what this change really accomplishes
Doug raised valid points during the discussion that teams with pending UFAs would flip them - and then lower teams would give up assets to get them AND then also use too much cap to grid them. So this is one of the biggest factors in the asset difference across the league.

At the age of 34 guys like Beauchimen should not have value apart from being a rental. No one should sensibly be gridding him let alone giving up assets for the right to grid him. Those are exactly the players that should be hitting the free agent pool.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #36
Knut

Exp:

BTW: I love the rest of the rules. Just unsure about what the UFA one accomplishes.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #37
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsavillian View Post
Step 1: Find a team to trade with
Step 2: Get them to trade you cap so you can sign the player (will have to throw in a token pick or whatever to make this legal with the current rule set. 9.99M for a 5th rounder anyone?)
Step 3: Trade the player to them, with the cap being returned (and the token pick coming back. High Priced UFA + 9.99 for a 5th rounder anyone?)
This type of deal would simply be rejected.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #38
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is also clear that, as with all sports, there are cycles. Example: The Islanders won back to back championships in 2012 and 2013 – now they are one of the worst teams from an asset point of view. There is a price to be paid by going for it – but the goal of the game is to win championships. That trade off between “win now” and “building for the future” is one of the core things that spark trades. But it also means there will be teams that weaken from an asset perspective when they go for it. This is all OK
You mean MTL, not the Isles!

The Isles have sucked for a long time I think!
simmer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #39
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer2 View Post
You mean MTL, not the Isles!

The Isles have sucked for a long time I think!
No sir. They won the whole thing in 2012 and 2013.
You've really messed that team up.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #40
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Doug raised valid points during the discussion that teams with pending UFAs would flip them - and then lower teams would give up assets to get them AND then also use too much cap to grid them. So this is one of the biggest factors in the asset difference across the league.

At the age of 34 guys like Beauchimen should not have value apart from being a rental. No one should sensibly be gridding him let alone giving up assets for the right to grid him. Those are exactly the players that should be hitting the free agent pool.
I am not going to be gridding him, but essentially it has killed any value he has as a rental as team could have perhaps thought they could move him in the off-season.

This may also cause borderline playoff teams to dump off Ufa's now instead of making a last ditch effort to go for the Championship.

Curious to see how this plays out.