Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #1401
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
At this point it hits me. I ask the guy if he knows which stores sell Tags. He has no idea. I figure Toronto and Vancouver. Check Tag site and sure enough Toronto and Vancouver downtown stores are both authorized dealers. No idea why the asshat at Tag Heuer's official customer service told me the Bay aren't an authorized dealer.
Not watch specific but I know some of the retailers inside the Bay DT Vancouver are technically separate retailers.

They have some mens clothing brands like Sandro & Kooples that aren't carried in other stores and when I purchase from them they actually have separate receipts, bags and it's like a store within the store. The people working in those sections work directly for that brand as well, they're not employed by the Bay. Same with the Sunglass Hut inside the Bay.

Not sure if this how Tag operates as well, but that may be why the Tag customer services guy didn't see "The Bay" listed as an authorized retailer.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 02:44 PM   #1402
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know where the watch repair tech from Sears South Centre moved onto?
She was a genius when it came to fixing my watches and replacing batteries. Sorry jewellers, I'm not paying you $70 to replace a watch battery every 2 years.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM   #1403
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Isn't there a watch repair at the Bay in Southcentre? If not it's in Chinook. I just remember using one of those 2 Bay locations for a strap repair & battery replacment. Price was right and the service was fast.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #1404
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
Isn't there a watch repair at the Bay in Southcentre? If not it's in Chinook. I just remember using one of those 2 Bay locations for a strap repair & battery replacment. Price was right and the service was fast.
Yeah in the Southcentre Bay and it's awesome.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #1405
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Strap and battery replacement is dead easy and can be done with $20 worth of tools from Amazon. I do it all the time.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #1406
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got a killer deal on this watch (Braun BN0032) on boxing day. I also nabbed a Grey Braun BN0042 but it has not arrived yet.

It's wildly different than my other watches, perhaps boring, but I like the design history relating to this watch.

Spoiler!

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-09-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spoiler for size
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #1407
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
Yeah in the Southcentre Bay and it's awesome.
Nice, thanks.
Back in the day when I moved into the area I remember the guy at the Bay being a DB so I took all of my business to Sears.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:23 AM   #1408
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got that Montblanc, and jayswin was right - it was rather "meh" in person. Luckily, with Costco, returning was not an issue.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #1409
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So joining the watch family with this:

Got my local jeweller to pull some strings for me and it finally came in! Always had a thing for seeing the workings of a watch. Now if I can only convince him to bring in a Devon Tread 1 and win the 649
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:06 PM   #1410
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question for experts... With respect to chrono24 site, how should I feel about Hong Kong merchants? They seem to be best on price, but, China being China, I am concerned about fakes, and lack of any recourse...

Old 03-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #1411
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I doubt I could ever afford it without saving for 10 months, but I was thinking of getting a retirement gift for a family member...and I was leaning towards Rolex.

Has anybody ever purchased a Submariner at an authorized dealer in town? Any recommendations? Are they even available? I heard the stainless steel models were being artificially supply limited.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:51 AM   #1412
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brinkhaus and Birks (downtown) are authorized dealers. I also think J. Vair Anderson is as well, but have never been there.

Birks probably has the largest "local" inventory because they can draw from across Canada, but I felt like Brinkhaus was much more personable, less stiff and ultimately more willing to bargain with you.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #1413
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Brinkhaus and Birks (downtown) are authorized dealers. I also think J. Vair Anderson is as well, but have never been there.

Birks probably has the largest "local" inventory because they can draw from across Canada, but I felt like Brinkhaus was much more personable, less stiff and ultimately more willing to bargain with you.
I didn't even know bargaining was possible on luxury items! What can you do?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #1414
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Question for experts... With respect to chrono24 site, how should I feel about Hong Kong merchants? They seem to be best on price, but, China being China, I am concerned about fakes, and lack of any recourse...
I wouldn't buy from those guys.

Jomashop. Best deals, reliable service.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #1415
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Just say "I can get it from Amazon for $X. If you can come close to that, I would love to buy local" and see what they are willing to do...

Old 03-15-2018, 03:34 PM   #1416
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You definitely bargain. Birks is a corporate store so will not move as much. Brinkhaus and J Vair Anderson will have more room. If you are buying a watch with gold you should get 10% off fairly quickly as there is such a high mark up on the gold.
You just ask what their best price is and then go back and forth from there. You can offer to pay with a bank draft to save 2-3% on credit card fees. They do not seem to like cash as I think they have a lot of forms to fill out for money laundering rules for anything > $10K.
Source: We bought two Rolex's as a wedding present from MIL. We ended up at about 20% off but that was on two watches. We spent half a day rotating between Birks/Brinkhaus/J Vair and finally bought at J Vair.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #1417
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt I could ever afford it without saving for 10 months, but I was thinking of getting a retirement gift for a family member...and I was leaning towards Rolex.

Has anybody ever purchased a Submariner at an authorized dealer in town? Any recommendations? Are they even available? I heard the stainless steel models were being artificially supply limited.
Stainless steel Daytona's are limited. I never thought Submariners were an issue.
When we bought only Birks had a SS Daytona and they wouldn't move on the price so we didn't buy from them. Ended up with an SS Submariner from J Vair. I think J. Vair is only store that is an authorized service center for Rolex in Calgary.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:53 PM   #1418
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The watches I have purchased locally have ranged in discount from 25-30%. However it has been a few years now since my last purchase and none of them have been Rolex, which anecdotally would have a much smaller discount.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #1419
homestand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Late 1950s or early 1960s. First wrist watches approved for use by railroads.

From the early 1940s. I had the clear crystal made for the back so you could see the movement.

Last edited by homestand; 08-29-2018 at 11:00 PM.
homestand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homestand For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 02:05 PM   #1420
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Any recommendations for a cool watch for an 11 year old boy? Thinking like Nixon-style stuff, but smaller for a smaller wrist. Analog face.

Up to $150 price range.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote