Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2018, 06:30 PM   #81
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I would love to listen to exit player interviews .
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #82
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Well they are still the “find a way” Flames.

They just decided they would find ways to lose, rather then win.

Just an embarrassment.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #83
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I do have hope. Treliving just has to nail this upcoming offseason, that's all. Getting out the catapult for the whole coaching staff will be a start.
Brad, the guy who has never made an player for player trade, only NHL 17 trades where he gives up future draft picks for current players? The guy whose professional scouting department said Lazar, Brouwer, Raymond, Hillier, Elliott amongst others were what this team needed? I have no hope that that guy can nail an offseason.

His good move was grabbing Hamilton, that is not a guy I think can nail an offseason.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:38 PM   #84
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Why are we waiting to turf this coaching staff???????!!!!
Let them at least suffer in their mess until it's over. No need to punish some innocent new guy, even if he is an interim.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:40 PM   #85
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Brad, the guy who has never made an player for player trade, only NHL 17 trades where he gives up future draft picks for current players? The guy whose professional scouting department said Lazar, Brouwer, Raymond, Hillier, Elliott amongst others were what this team needed? I have no hope that that guy can nail an offseason.

His good move was grabbing Hamilton, that is not a guy I think can nail an offseason.
Good move is an overstatement. This team would be better right now with Barzal or Boeser.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:42 PM   #86
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spent the time watching "Get Out". Would recommend.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #87
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

We could always bring back Jay. Maybe he can try and trade Monahan for 2 years of Ryan O'Reilly again.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #88
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Sure the players have quit at this point, which sucks but kind of makes sense given the letdown. Your take is super interesting, though I have a different view. I think GG’s system is terrible.

The system results in a ton of low percentage SOGs that support the coach’s view of a possession based system. His breakout is either a flip to center ice or a hard rim to a guy who’s standing still at the opposing blue line. The D’s gap is horrible because he wants them to quickly retrieve pucks and flip them out, which results in teams walking in with speed and scoring at will. He wants fwds to get setup in the offensive zone because he doesn’t want to risk turnovers, which completely stifles the team’s best assets, which are active D, creativity off the rush and quick transitions. Don’t even get me started on the power play.

He has been forcing this system when it clearly doesn’t work. There is a reason Hartley caught lightning in a bucket, because for better or for worse, his system encouraged D activation, quick transition and tight gap control. He wanted the D to get pucks to the forwards fast, move up as a unit and score off the rush. Basically the complete opposite of GG’s system. And guess what, it worked.
Nailed it. You look at Boston and they are playing the same system Hartley had, relentless forechecking, speed and head-manning the puck.
I think Heep should coach for the rest of the season.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:45 PM   #89
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Good move is an overstatement. This team would be better right now with Barzal or Boeser.
You could get more for Hamilton right now than you gave up to get him, only move that that is the case. That makes Hamilton a good move in my mind. Even Brouwer you would have to eat salary to get rid of him, I suspect a 2.5 million Brouwer plus 2020 Flames 2nd rounder could get you a 6th rounder.

It is odd that Brad has such little faith in his amateur scouting, it is literally the only part of his front office that is any good.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #90
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You could get more for Hamilton right now than you gave up to get him, only move that that is the case. That makes Hamilton a good move in my mind. Even Brouwer you would have to eat salary to get rid of him, I suspect a 2.5 million Brouwer plus 2020 Flames 2nd rounder could get you a 6th rounder.

It is odd that Brad has such little faith in his amateur scouting, it is literally the only part of his front office that is any good.
Why do you think he has little faith in his amateur scouting?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #91
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
We could always bring back Jay. Maybe he can try and trade Monahan for 2 years of Ryan O'Reilly again.
What a load of crap, but if we living in a make believe fantasy world

Jay would have re-signed O'Reilly and the Flames would have drafted 5 spots lower so it would have been Samuel Morin not Monahan.

2 years of O'Reilly, haha, in what world would Ryan O'Reilly RFA in 2014 walk for nothing? Are you saying he would have had a career ending injury before 2014? Maybe Jay insists that the NHL grant him UFA status 2 years early? How does that work for you, I have seen this assine "2 years of Ryan O'Reilly before" and am always confused by it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #92
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Why do you think he has little faith in his amateur scouting?
Because he trades all their picks for current players. He seems to have more faith in his pro scouts (Lazar, Hamonic, Stone, Hamilton, Shinkaruk) than his amateur guys, despite their pretty decent track record.

A GM who had faith in his amateur scouting would continue to allow them to acquire assets, working from the assumption that they can turn a 4th rounder into something worth more than a 4th rounder in a couple years with the help of professional development. He makes trades assuming that the value of his picks will decrease in the future (or so it seems to me). Either that or he actually thought a bubble team was on the verge of greatness.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-24-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #93
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I personally don't trust BT at the helm of this team, a lot of his player acquisitions have left me convinced that he does not have much of an eye for talent. On top of that his hand picked addition of Gulutzan to lead this team has left me extremely skeptical.

Stewart
Shore
Lack
Hamonic
Smith
Lazar
Stone
Shinkaruk
B. Elliot
Dougie Hamilton
Bollig

Hamilton is the only piece that stands out. Hamonic has been OK and Smith was great early on but since the All Star break has been below average, and are both currently core pieces on a team that is in 20th place overall.

I just don't see enough there to convince me otherwise.
Brouwer and Grossman.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #94
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m starting to think they might not make the playoffs.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rubicant For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #95
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
I’m starting to think they might not make the playoffs.
not mathematically out yet
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #96
PuckFather
Draft Pick

Per VANFLAMESFAN all is ok.
PuckFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #97
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckFather View Post
Per VANFLAMESFAN all is ok.
I don't think we need potshots to those fans that are optimistic during the season. This place could use more of that, imo.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #98
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
If the Flames had won 3 out of their last 6 (.500 which at one point would have been considered a disaster):
1/2 against Sharks
1 against Oilers
1 against Ducks
(this includes a loss against Coyotes)

They would be sitting 3 points out with 6 games remaining. There would have been a chance.
I posted this in the OOT thread as well. Man, the Flames really shot themselves in the foot. A completely fragile team that really crumbled. It's incredibly worrisome as a fan because if major changes are not made, this team is not winning a cup imo.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #99
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

My god Kane looks awesome.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #100
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Then bugger off! Seriously, what kind of Flames fan sees that as a positive?
If the Flames did leave, it would automatically make Calgary the hottest relocation destination. Would guarantee a new ownership group.