Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #81
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I'll be happy for my Winnipeg friends to make it to the conference finals and keep Vegas from making our organization look worse than it already does, but I want the Flames to be the team that brings the Stanley Cup back to Canada. Go Capitals!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:30 AM   #82
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
Odds at this stage have a lot less to do with which team is more likely to win, and a lot more to do with which team has more money placed on them already. It is a mathematically derived number and nothing more. The bookies rarely lose especially when they have time to balance their risk.
Winnipeg is a small fan base and would likely have a lot less fan money behind them right now, whilst the average hockey/sport fan could be inclined to get wrapped up in Vegas fever and place a non-proffesional bet on them.

Tldr, the bookies are trying to get some money on Winnipeg to offset the liability that they are carrying on Vegas.
Ha ha, yeah, I wasn't really being serious, but I appreciate your post nonetheless.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #83
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea how this will go. At some point you figure Vegas magic will strike midnight, but they've just cruised through the playoffs up to this point when there was doubt they would. Jets are by far the toughest team they'll face thus far though. So most certainly won't be Knights in 5 or anything like that.

Should be a battle, but I would say Vegas takes this in 6 because I don't think their incredible season is quite over yet.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #84
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Vegas is outmatched in every area.

Jets in 5

If Vegas wins I’ll throw up my hands and walk out a la Seinfeld.gif, and just accept that they’re a team of destiny and that it can’t be explained
MAF says hello.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #85
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
If Vegas wins I’ll throw up my hands and walk out a la Seinfeld.gif, and just accept that they’re a team of destiny and that it can’t be explained
This is already the case. The Kings series made sense - they were simply too slow. But the Sharks? That was a better version of the Knights that outplayed the Knights and still couldn't do anything to stop them. There's no explaining this team's success at this point, any attempt to do so is an ex post facto justification that's being led by a desire for rational explanations where none are on offer.

It is, simply put, magic.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #86
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's go Jets!!!!!!! The cup belongs in Canada.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #87
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
If the Knights win the cup will spend more time in Canada in the off season. Because there are more Canadians on the Knights who will take the cup to their home towns.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #88
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post

False.

Cup belongs to the champion of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Before any of my rival teams (i.e.: Leafs, Habs, Jets, Oilers, Canucks, Ducks, Kings, Sharks & Knights) win it, I want the Flames to win it.

And although Tampa isn't a rival, they stole a Cup from us. Therefor the only acceptable winner in this years competition are the Washington Capitals.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #89
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
False.

Before any of my rival teams (i.e.: Leafs, Habs, Jets, Oilers, Canucks, Ducks, Kings, Sharks & Knights) win it, I want the Flames to win it.

And although Tampa isn't a rival, they stole a Cup from us. Therefor the only acceptable winner in this years competition are the Washington Capitals.
What if its Winnipeg Vs Tampa in the final?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #90
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
What if its Winnipeg Vs Tampa in the final?

It would be sucky.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #91
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

it matters not to me what side of the border a team from a city 1300km away is either

if anything i harbor an irrational hatred for the other canadian teams(except ottawa, since they're so unremarkable i have no opinion of them)
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #92
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hoping for a Jets sweep
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #93
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's time we Canadians win the SC. It would help, to a degree, to relieve all the political division going on in this country.

I saw Josh Morrissey's Dad, Tom, on tv last night, and it brought back memories of a meeting we had with him a number of years ago. My wife and I were at the Tim Hortons on 17th Ave SW, and while waiting to pick up a sandwich, I started talking hockey with the guy next to me who happened to be Tom Morrissey. He ended up sitting with my wife and I for about an hour, and mentioned his son was in that years hockey draft, and that he felt he would be drafted pretty high. A short time later his son, Josh, was drafted 13th by Winnipeg.

I have followed Josh's career ever since, and am really impressed with his development and excellent play in this years playoffs. I see where his play has even caught the eye of Don Cherry, who praised him highly the other night. He isn't all that huge, but it's obvious to me that his hockey IQ is off the chart.

Go Jets Go

Last edited by flamesfever; 05-11-2018 at 10:17 AM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #94
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
False.

It's time a Canadian team wins it I'm not holding my breath the flames will ever win a another cup while I'm alive. I also had a dream that the lightning won the Stanley cup and I was so pissed that they had won. I guess subconsciously i still loath them.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #95
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 very important Jets are Calgarians; Josh Morrissey (arguably our best D man besides Buff) and Lowry. Lowry is an unbelievable 3rd liner that is the unsung hero of our team right now.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #96
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Vegas in 4.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #97
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I think it's time we Canadians win the SC. It would help, to a degree, to relieve all the political division going on in this country.

I saw Josh Morrissey's Dad, Tom, on tv last night, and it brought back memories of a meeting we had with him a number of years ago. My wife and I were at the Tim Hortons on 17th Ave SW, and while waiting to pick up a sandwich, I started talking hockey with the guy next to me who happened to be Tom Morrissey. He ended up sitting with my wife and I for about an hour, and mentioned his son was in that years hockey draft, and that he felt he would be drafted pretty high. A short time later his son, Josh, was drafted 13th by Winnipeg.

I have followed Josh's career ever since, and am really impressed with his development and excellent play in this years playoffs. I see where his play has even caught the eye of Don Cherry, who praised him highly the other night. He isn't all that huge, but it's obvious to me that his hockey IQ is off the chart.

Go Jets Go

These two sentences make no sense. It's time for us to win a Cup "as Canadians"? Wtf? Plenty of Canadians on all sides.

Also, I'm not sure how a Jets wins erases a carbon tax or make Trudeau more appealing to westerners.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #98
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
2 very important Jets are Calgarians; Josh Morrissey (arguably our best D man besides Buff) and Lowry. Lowry is an unbelievable 3rd liner that is the unsung hero of our team right now.

These playoffs have shown how important a bottom 6 is to winning big games. The top lines will do their thing, but it's the bottom lines that need to pitch in to make a difference.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #99
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s time we Lithuanians win the Cup!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #100
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post

Go Jets Go
Not sure how some team I (and I am sure a lot of others) don't care about winning the SC would cure political division.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elvis , knight up , pumpkin time , white out