Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #1161
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to everyone who recommended ways to illuminate my grill in the winter months. I bought a cheap little headlamp and it is perfect. It even activates if I wave my hand in front of it, which is great for coming in and out of the house.

It is not even pitch black out yet but the difference is very noticeable.

Also trying something different with my skillet potatoes. Trying starting them off in a bit of water in the skillet to soften them up. Some of it cooked away, the rest I dumped. Added olive oil and they’re on bare iron now, and are crisping up nicely.

And a glass of wine outside in the winter. Amazing. Try it sometime.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 PM   #1162
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, those new Weber SmokeFire pellets are getting *killed* on the Intertubes. A bunch of YouTubers are having greasefires on their 1st cook. Apparently ash blowback from the firepot is blowing it's way to the bottom of the unit, mixing with the grease, preventing it from draining, and then igniting.

Fun starts at 20:50

Such a disappointment.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #1163
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any experience smoking a whole chicken? I have a new smoker and a whole chicken that we previously marinated and would cook on the bbq. But would like to try smoking it. Any tips or temps to follow?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:31 AM   #1164
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone have any experience smoking a whole chicken? I have a new smoker and a whole chicken that we previously marinated and would cook on the bbq. But would like to try smoking it. Any tips or temps to follow?
Any poultry needs a roasting temp to crisp up the skin. I try to start around 300 and finish at 350.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:07 AM   #1165
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Any poultry needs a roasting temp to crisp up the skin. I try to start around 300 and finish at 350.
This will work, but I do it a little differently. I usually start lower than 300 (around 225), and bring it up for the last 45 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. It depends on how much smoke flavour you want.

I'd make sure to let the bird air-dry for 6 hours in the fridge before you put it on. This will dry the skin out, allowing it to crisp up nicely. Did you wet brine or put a rub on it?

Also, you can spatchcock it if you want it to cook a little more evenly, but I save that for turkeys.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #1166
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
This will work, but I do it a little differently. I usually start lower than 300 (around 225), and bring it up for the last 45 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. It depends on how much smoke flavour you want.

I'd make sure to let the bird air-dry for 6 hours in the fridge before you put it on. This will dry the skin out, allowing it to crisp up nicely. Did you wet brine or put a rub on it?

Also, you can spatchcock it if you want it to cook a little more evenly, but I save that for turkeys.
We marinated it for a day in Piri Piri sauce. We would usually rotisserie it on the bbq but I have this new smoker and I’m hooked...
Old 04-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #1167
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I once went to a party where the host served 'all day bbq'd ribs' - something about low and slow or whatever. Anyway, ended up being the best ribs I ever ate outside of a BBQ spot in St.Martin ran by a guy from KC.

Anyway...looking for recipes for something like that. I have some pork side ribs right now and would love to give it a go. Anyone experienced in this?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #1168
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I might get roasted for this (pun intended), but the best way I've done ribs is a BBQ/oven combo. This is how I approach them:

1) 1 hour salt and sugar brine. Pat dry and apply rub if desired
2) 2 hours on BBQ at 300F with wood chips/chunks
3) 1.5 hours in oven at 350F tightly wrapped in foil (put on BBQ sauce before foil if desired)
4) 30 minutes rest on counter with foil partly unwrapped to let out steam

I too thought that any time in the oven was just wrong and ruined the idea of BBQ ribs, but after I tried it this way I was hooked. The BBQ smoky flavour comes through great and the final cook in the oven ensures the right final temp is reached. I found that always to be difficult on the BBQ.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #1169
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I once went to a party where the host served 'all day bbq'd ribs' - something about low and slow or whatever. Anyway, ended up being the best ribs I ever ate outside of a BBQ spot in St.Martin ran by a guy from KC.

Anyway...looking for recipes for something like that. I have some pork side ribs right now and would love to give it a go. Anyone experienced in this?
The most common would be 3-2-1 method ribs cooked over low heat for 6 hrs. 3 hrs with smoke, 2 hrs wrapped in foil, 1 hr with sauce at about 225F. This will get you that fall of the bone rib that many people like.

I prefer not to wrap and have a slightly more textured rib so 3 hrs smoke, 2 hrs of just cooking 1 hr of sauce.

You cant really screw up putting a run on ribs and throwing them on a smoker at low temp for a long time then sauce at the end.

Last edited by GGG; 04-26-2020 at 02:58 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 02:57 PM   #1170
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

hey Weitz

here is what i did...
dry rub: essence + granulated garlic + sea salt + pepper + onion powder

then a wet rub: 1/4 cup apple sauce + 2 tbsp lee & perrins

smoker temp in the 250-280F range
cook time was around 3 hours, then let chicken rest about half an hour

it was AMAZING!

IMG_1710 by bc-chris, on Flickr
Old 04-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #1171
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post

i'm with GGG with the 3-2-1 method

the day before, trim off excess fat and season ribs with a dry rub and put in fridge overnight

dry rub recipe:

Spoiler!

then the 3-2-1 method...

3 hours on the smoker, 2 hours wrapped in foil (i usually add some apple juice when i wrap them in foil). after the two hours hit them with some homemade bbq sauce and throw them back on the smoker for the final hour.

homemade bbq sauce recipe:
Spoiler!

absolutely delicious!

IMG_7207 by bc-chris, on Flickr

Spoiler!
Old 04-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #1172
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

**it won't let me edit my above post... i forgot to say when you are trimming any excess fat to also remove the membrane on the bottom side of the ribs, then hit with dry rub and throw in the fridge overnight
Old 04-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #1173
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

3-2-1 is 100% the method to use, I find I dont always meed the full last hour to caramelize the bbq sauce but to each their own. Removing the membrane is very important and most often overlooked. Also let the ribs rest for 20 minutes after cooking
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #1174
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
3-2-1 is 100% the method to use, I find I dont always meed the full last hour to caramelize the bbq sauce but to each their own. Removing the membrane is very important and most often overlooked. Also let the ribs rest for 20 minutes after cooking
I did ribs yesterday and went 2-2-40 mins. They were probably the best ribs I have ever had.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #1175
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Made a peruvian roasted red pepper sauce, then grilled sirloin kababs and corn, with the sauce. Turned out very nice.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 07:30 PM   #1176
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys definitely have me doing ribs this week, thanks for the suggestions!
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #1177
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I did ribs yesterday and went 2-2-40 mins. They were probably the best ribs I have ever had.
That’s very similar to what I do as well. I go 2 (with smoke) then 2 (in tinfoil with apple juice or beer and no smoke) then 45 to caramelize the sauce.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:07 PM   #1178
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pork or beef? I've preferred the 3-2-1 for beef but haven't tried my hand at pork in a while
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:08 PM   #1179
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were pork.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #1180
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I smoked a couple pork roast yesterday. Injected with apple juice/garlic plus and smoked them with apple pellets at 250 until they were 160 degrees inside. They were fantastic for something that required no prep!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber