Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #201
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
They almost beat the best team in the league, that's pretty much Flames win...just like almost winning the cup or almost winning a playoff round or almost making the playoffs. Almost winning is what the Flames do, it could be their slogan for the past 25 years or so. It has a pretty good ring to it.

Calgary Flames, celebrating 25 years of almost.
That reminds me of the film Apocalypto. “That’s your name...Almost”.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:11 AM   #202
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
That is the frustrating part and then you have fans who actually think that if you threw in the towel on an almost winning season this year to try to actually build towards a Stanley Cup champion that Tkachuk would remember 36 months later and refuse to sign with the Flames and year UFA instead. I think building a winner would be a more attractive to players like Tkachuk longterm.

Flames have the 9th best winning percentage in the western conference. The Wild are knocking on the door to pass them for 9th. They are part of a 5 or 6 team battle for 3 playoff spots and they are probably going to take a pass on adding some significant assets to the organization at the deadline. All so we can squeak in and maybe lay a beating on the St. Louis Blues in the first round.
But this isn't an almost winning season. This is an almost, almost, almost winning season and those fans want to make the future even more bleak by trading away futures in the hopes of it maybe becoming an almost, almost winning season. That way we definitely won't be able to build a winning team because they'll be stuck with an older team that can't get it done and have no prospects to help!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #203
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
But this isn't an almost winning season. This is an almost, almost, almost winning season and those fans want to make the future even more bleak by trading away futures in the hopes of it maybe becoming an almost, almost winning season. That way we definitely won't be able to build a winning team because they'll be stuck with an older team that can't get it done and have no prospects to help!
Oh I agree with you, but it is just the way it is for Flames management and some fans, almost is ok.

Since 2015 the following teams have less playoff victories than the Flames

Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo

I suppose when the franchise has a record like that under current management, ok is good enough.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 07:54 AM   #204
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh I agree with you, but it is just the way it is for Flames management and some fans, almost is ok.

Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo

I suppose when the franchise has a record like that under current management, ok is good enough.
I don’t think fans are ok with it
They just have a more measured reaction
Just because some fans react differently to losses doesn’t mean they have lower expectations
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #205
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don’t think fans are ok with it
They just have a more measured reaction
Just because some fans react differently to losses doesn’t mean they have lower expectations
I guess, one playoff victory (plus whatever this year adds to that total if the Flames make the playoffs) in five years is a pretty damning indictment on this current management group though. That is just not a great place to be in when 90 percent of your competitors have more playoff victories than your franchise over the last half decade. Whether fans are ok with it depends on ones perspective but it is hard to find quantifiable indicators of success in the last half decade.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 02-22-2020 at 08:08 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #206
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vancouver
Arizona
Buffalo

How many lore wins do the Red Wings and Kong’s have. You are not including 2015 so taking a 4 year sample size correct?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #207
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
How many lore wins do the Red Wings and Kong’s have. You are not including 2015 so taking a 4 year sample size correct?
We have the same number of playoff victories since 2015 as the Red Wings and the Kings. So I guess only 83 percent of franchise have experienced more success than us as opposed to the 90 percent I said below which was incorrect.

Yes four year sample size (then eventually plus this year)Only franchise that could pass us this year when counting since 2015 is Vancouver. I doubt Arizona makes the playoffs, they are getting into desperate math territory.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 02-22-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #208
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why in the hell wasn't Laviolette named head coach during the all star break?

Was it because he wasn't offered the position or was it because he turned the Flames down?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #209
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Why in the hell wasn't Laviolette named head coach during the all star break?

Was it because he wasn't offered the position or was it because he turned the Flames down?
Reading between the lines it appears his family may prefer not to move to Canada if they can avoid it. Interesting enough dating back to the mid-80's his entire playing and coaching career has been entirely in the USA.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:43 AM   #210
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Reading between the lines it appears his family may prefer not to move to Canada if they can avoid it. Interesting enough dating back to the mid-80's his entire playing and coaching career has been entirely in the USA.
Gallant is going to the Wings, Laviolette doesn't want to live in Canada, so I guess we are right back to Darryl as our coaching oprtion.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 08:48 AM   #211
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We have the same number of playoff victories since 2015 as the Red Wings and the Kings. So I guess only 83 percent of franchise have experienced more success than us as opposed to the 90 percent I said below which was incorrect.

Yes four year sample size (then eventually plus this year)Only franchise that could pass us this year when counting since 2015 is Vancouver. I doubt Arizona makes the playoffs, they are getting into desperate math territory.
Yes 4 year sample size that fits your narrative I see
Old 02-22-2020, 09:06 AM   #212
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want to get involved, but come on man, this is the Calgary Flames - pick any timeline you want over the last 30 years and you can count the number of teams with less playoff success on one hand.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:13 AM   #213
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well we can include the remnants of the Feaster/Hartley era as well. Happy to update this after this year which would make it six years but since 2014 the Flames have more playoff victories than

Arizona
Vancouver
Buffalo
Minnesota
Detroit
LA
Florida
Philadelphia

3 of those teams (4 if the Wild go on a run to make the playoffs) could pass the Flames this year, but that does improve the narrative. Over the past five years the Flames have less playoff victories than 73 percent of the league. The very definition of a franchise that is knocking on the door of being almost good. It is too bad that Maloney and BT have been unable to match the playoff success they experienced in Arizona in Calgary.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 02-22-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #214
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I was just reading that Bruce Cassidy called Calgary's boards "the liveliest in the NHL".

Thought that was interesting.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #215
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Troy View Post
What is your expectation for 23? Tkachuk is the absolute least of this team’s problems.
I expect him to improve his skating in the offseason. He can't keep up with a lot of guys.
Monohan must have been sick. He looked terribly slow as well.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:24 AM   #216
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Feels like at the end of every season we're left wondering if Monahan is sick or injured. One year he most definitely was. The others? Somewhat surprisingly, no.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #217
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well we can include the remnants of the Feaster/Hartley era as well. Happy to update this after this year which would make it six years but since 2014 the Flames have more playoff victories than

Arizona
Vancouver
Buffalo
Minnesota
Detroit
LA
Florida
Philadelphia

3 of those teams (4 if the Wild go on a run to make the playoffs) could pass the Flames this year, but that does improve the narrative. Over the past five years the Flames have less playoff victories than 73 percent of the league. The very definition of a franchise that is knocking on the door of being almost good. It is too bad that Maloney and BT have been unable to match the playoff success they experienced in Arizona in Calgary.
Yes the team had struggled the last 2 times they made the playoffs.

You keep talking about teams passing the Flames this year but CALGARY could pass a lot of teams this year as well.

Get this! The Calgary Flames won more playoff games last year than 19 teams or 61% of the league. They won more than Sidney Crosby and Connor McDavid combined!!!

The above is tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be serious but anyone can use history to try and spin something to fit their narrative. I think if the team misses the playoffs altogether or gets spanked in round 1 again we will have l long time to talk about how garbage the team is.

For now I plan to enjoy the playoff race, see what happens by Monday and hope this team can finish strong down the stretch

Last edited by Vinny01; 02-22-2020 at 09:36 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #218
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Gallant is going to the Wings, Laviolette doesn't want to live in Canada, so I guess we are right back to Darryl as our coaching oprtion.
Well Bruce Boudreau would be a nice consolation prize but Treliving passed on him once to hire Gulutzan so my faith is pretty low that he actually knows what a really good NHL head coach looks like.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:36 AM   #219
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I don't want to get involved, but come on man, this is the Calgary Flames - pick any timeline you want over the last 30 years and you can count the number of teams with less playoff success on one hand.
I know man you always talk about bad they have been for 30 year’s. Do yourself a favor and just stop cheering for the team and maybe you won’t complain every chance you can? Try and new sport cheer for the Yankees in baseball, the Patriots in the NFL and it looks like now you can jump back on the Lakers bandwagon in basketball.

These are franchises that win a lot of championships so you might be happier doing that?

We cheer for a small market western Canadian team. Calgary has been mediocre for 30 years. Vancouver has not won in their 50 year history, Edmonton has been the joke of the league for the better part of 15 years. Winnipeg has never made a cup final. Part of it is lack of patience, part of it is the fact players would rather not play here than cities in the states.

The league is about to expand to 32 teams. Calgary’s chances don’t get any easier moving forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #220
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes the team had struggled the last 2 times they made the playoffs.

You keep talking about teams passing the Flames this year but CALGARY could pass a lot of teams this year as well.

Get this! The Calgary Flames won more playoff games last year than 19 teams or 61% of the league. They won more than Sidney Crosby and Con or McDavid combined!!!!

The above is tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be serious but anyone can use history to try and spin something to fit their narrative. I think if the team misses the playoffs altogether or gets spanked in round 1 again we will have l long time to talk about how garbage the team is.

For now I plan to enjoy the playoff race, see what happens by Monday and hope this team can finish strong down the stretch
Last year was a successful playoff run, I will grant you that.

I too am hoping that they make the playoffs and go deep this year. I am also hoping they sell at the deadline just like the last time they had a very successful playoff run.