Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #21
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that the Flames could definitely use a physical but skilled guy to play in the top 6, ideally on the Gaudreau-Monahan line.

Simmonds is not the answer there, however. Simmonds would just be adding to the bottom 6, and I think that the Flames have enough grit there. There is no denying that he is more skilled than Rinaldo, but he won't be nearly as effective as Rinaldo on the forecheck. Not the guy to waste assets on, or even a roster spot on IMO.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It really feels like the Flames have been in a tough spot since the spending spree that was the summer of 2018. Treliving spent large on Lindholm, Hanifin, Ryan and Neal. 3 of those players have been key additions and the other was a toxic contract that was moved for an even more toxic co tract but a player that fits better (still grossly overpaid for what he brings).

Thanks to the Lazar, Smith, Hamonic trades that cost the team a total of 5 picks they have a weakened prospect pool which makes it harder to trade picks and prospects.

It sounds like they were runners up on Stone last year and Hall this year. They had completed trades for Kadri and Zucker that were either blocked or fell through. Treliving has had a very hard time making moves and based on the current prices it doesn’t seem like the Flames are destined to make any changes before Monday.

I predict this team is largely the same when the deadline passes and huge changes occur this summer with a massive shakeup
It can't be stated enough. How much different with the Flames prospec base look today with the addition of a 1st round talent and four 2nd round talents? Treliving got greedy and now he's paying the price. I will say at least this restraint is showing that he realizes his past mistakes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #23
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It can't be stated enough. How much different with the Flames prospec base look today with the addition of a 1st round talent and four 2nd round talents? Treliving got greedy and now he's paying the price. I will say at least this restraint is showing that he realizes his past mistakes.
Brian Elliott also cost a pretty valuable pick for one year and 0 playoff wins.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #24
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Especially with the Hamonic trade. How nice it would have been to have Dobson or Wahlstrom in the fold.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:52 PM   #25
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those against the Simmonds trade, I think i am all for it if that is the best we can do (like a last minute trade).

A) wouldn’t cost much, maybe like a mid round pick (4th/5th) and Czarnik (we likely receive an additional 3rd from Edmonton from Lucic trade)
B) allows us to have an additional gritty player, spreading the gritty wealth around
C) right handed
D) no strings attached, if it doesn’t work out the Simmonds experiment only lasted 20 games. If it does, then we got a decent player for nothing.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using draft picks as currency is one thing, and maybe questionable for where the Flames were in their rebuild cycle. But to top it off, the acquired players just didn't work out as expected (or maybe hoped).
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM   #27
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

The icing on the cake is watching Hamonic sail off into free agency this summer without recouping anything. That trade really was a disaster.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #28
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine that this is pretty much how all of Tre's negotiations end up.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Using draft picks as currency is one thing, and maybe questionable for where the Flames were in their rebuild cycle. But to top it off, the acquired players just didn't work out as expected (or maybe hoped).
The Hamilton trade is really the only trade he's made involving picks that has worked out. You can argue the Smith trade was okay value as they got a 1B goaltender for two seasons but the lack of a franchise goaltender has been an ongoing issue that Treliving has failed to address. Treliving is by definition a below average GM that's made one or two good moves, a lot of middling moves and a handful of some really poor moves. I really do think he would be an excellent assistant GM as for the most part he's great at negotiating contracts but professional scouting around the team has been beyond abysmal under him as too many wasted draft picks on mediocre/bad players and free agency has been an unmitigated disaster.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #30
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

- we needed a starting goalie so Elliott was revered as a great trade at the time
- same goes for Smith
- Lazar was a major bust but the idea was right
- Hamonic may re-sign here for a good deal so you never know

Picks are currency and Tre has spent. The key is finding gems like Mangiapane in late rounds to balance things out.

I say as long as he doesn’t trade this years 1st I’m still happy with what he has done.

Can’t control trades that got vetoed or Stone only wanting to re-sign in Vegas.

I still have faith!
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:27 PM   #31
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
The icing on the cake is watching Hamonic sail off into free agency this summer without recouping anything. That trade really was a disaster.
Losing him for nothing is almost as bad as overpaying to keep him. Ideally the team deals him for the highest bidder at the deadline or signs him to a short term, team friendly deal.

The trade was made to give the Flames 2 top pairings. So far through 2.5 seasons the team has one playoff appearance where he was noticeably one of the worst players on the team. We will see if they make it this year and if he is there to make a difference one way or another.

Right now that trade certainly has been a mistake
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #32
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Treliving never fixed the goalie problem properly, huge misstep by him for sure.....except wait, remember when he traded for Ben Bishop but the deal didnt go through because he was too busy being ####ing micromanaged by idiots?

Remember how many people said we dodged a bullet when Dallas traded for Bishop and then extended him? Go look at Bishops numbers the last 3 seasons in Dallas and tell me all about the bullet they apparently dodged again.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
- we needed a starting goalie so Elliott was revered as a great trade at the time
- same goes for Smith
- Lazar was a major bust but the idea was right
- Hamonic may re-sign here for a good deal so you never know

Picks are currency and Tre has spent. The key is finding gems like Mangiapane in late rounds to balance things out.

I say as long as he doesn’t trade this years 1st I’m still happy with what he has done.

Can’t control trades that got vetoed or Stone only wanting to re-sign in Vegas.

I still have faith!
Yep. It really boils down to what you want in a GM. The hardest working GM or the brightest and best. Flames have the former which we are seeing will only take you so far.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #34
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I also think both the Brouwer and Neal set us back and handicapped the Flames. We should have filled those spots with younger hungrier players but instead not only were they lazy players that didn't do what they were supposed to, they were costly additions and stunted our rebuild. BT has done some good things but you really have to wonder if the Flames are lacking some internal direction when it comes to what the teams actual needs.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #35
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Brian Elliott also cost a pretty valuable pick for one year and 0 playoff wins.
Agreed. I would even goes as far as to give him a pass on Smith as a simple cost of doing business and need a goalie, but Elliot is a bad one, no doubt.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:35 PM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I also think both the Brouwer and Neal set us back and handicapped the Flames. We should have filled those spots with younger hungrier players but instead not only were they lazy players that didn't do what they were supposed to, they were costly additions and stunted our rebuild. BT has done some good things but you really have to wonder if the Flames are lacking some internal direction when it comes to what the teams actual needs.
To buy out Brouwer and immediately go back to the well with Neal shows of a general lack of patience, trying over and over for the quick fix. It really does look like a Canadian thing as the Canucks pretty well doing the same thing when they aren't ready to be a contender. Canadian owners and fans simply lack the patience for the long game.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 07:51 PM   #37
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't like that idea. I still really believe Bennett has another level yet and he is a beast. Many won't agree but I would trade Mangiapane before Bennett. Even better would be if we can do it for a 2nd plus another non roster piece. I don't want to see Bennett or our 1st traded unless it is part of a deal for a legit top 6 player with term .
Trading Mangiapane would definitely be a sell-high situation. It would be a bold move by Tre, but could be a steal for the Flames depending on the return after the dust settles.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #38
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I might be the odd one out, but I still like the team as broadly constructed by Tre and I think the team is starting to come together. It's still a bit back-end heavy and needs a second high end right handed shot, but all-in-all it's pretty good.

Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Janko and Lucic have really stepped up their game in the past couple werks and playing some of their best hockey in a long time. Additionally, Johnny, Monahan, Backlund and Tkachuk are starting to look like they're finally finding their game again. Finally, Ryan and Lindholm have been good the entire season. That's 11 of 12 forwards that are starting to peak at the right time.

If we can get Valimaki and Giordano back...and get into the playoffs as a 2 or 3 seed in the division I think we'll be in good shape.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #39
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I might be the odd one out, but I still like the team as broadly constructed by Tre and I think the team is starting to come together. It's still a bit back-end heavy and needs a second high end right handed shot, but all-in-all it's pretty good.

Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Janko and Lucic have really stepped up their game in the past couple werks and playing some of their best hockey in a long time. Additionally, Johnny, Monahan, Backlund and Tkachuk are starting to look like they're finally finding their game again. Finally, Ryan and Lindholm have been good the entire season. That's 11 of 12 forwards that are starting to peak at the right time.

If we can get Valimaki and Giordano back...and get into the playoffs as a 2 or 3 seed in the division I think we'll be in good shape.

Agree, I like them starting to get better at the right time. 31 goals in the last 6 games

And two goalies you can count on to stop the shots they should!
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #40
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a big fan of the team's current construction - but I'm also not opposed to giving the group one more chance. A few weeks ago the idea of standing pat seemed like the worst outcome - but now - maybe it is the way to go.
You simply can't deal Brodie - you would be giving up the season. And while there is a rationale argument to be made that they should do that - that's a tough sell to owners, fans, and the other players in the room.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote