Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #41
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I lost 20 lbs last year with a program called LeanSquad. Found it through a friend on Instagram. The program was created and run by an ex Canadian Rugby player Phil Mckenzie.

It's a great program! 90 days with recipes and work outs. The best part that I loved was that I could do all of the workouts in my home. You do need some weights (15/20 lbs) other than that Phil works with you to make sure you are able to do the workouts in your environment.

The cost isnt too bad either as it cost $500 for the 90 days of workouts, recipes, personal support from Phil and access to other people going through the program at the same time.

I will admit Phil can be kind've annoying on his instagram videos although the recipes are great and so are the workouts.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #42
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got waaayyyy too fat for my liking after my 2 kids. Joined one of those 40 day challenges at a gym nearby.

3 weeks in and 14lbs & 3% body fat down.

Goal weight is another 18lbs away, but can already see the change in myself. Hell one of my basketball teammates saw me for the first time in 3 weeks the other day and said "you've lost weight, and your body comp has changed - you're more muscular"

I know my weakness is motivation, so I figure going forward I am just going to do semi-private training - that way I have a couple appointments a week that I HAVE to make since I paid for them.
I_H8_Crawford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #43
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Except no one usually brings one of those treadmills to work. They demand their employer purchase it for them to use. Do you laugh at the fool using it, or the employer who got stuck paying for it?

The standing desk thing is also weird to me IMO. I get the concept, but it still looks weird to me.
And once you get the treadmill, make sure to force your company to get you a special chair you can put on the treadmill when not in use:

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #44
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I lost 20 lbs a couple of years ago while adding quite a bit of muscle, and have been able to keep it off through a combination of better diet and exercise. The key was coming up with a program that worked for me and that I could be disciplined enough to stick to. It was too easy for me to make excuses with a gym membership - dealing with kids activities, business travel, etc. I also found I easily get bored working out. For me it was setting up a gym in the basement which made it easier to commit to exercising every day, and putting the TV in front so I could watch something while I work out. Since then I've rarely missed a day and am probably in the best shape I've ever been in.
Podcasts really help pass the time.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #45
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'm often shocked to see that my recommended weight range at 6'0" is 136-183. That seems very light for my build - broad shoulders, fairly muscular. I think 190 would be ok for me? Any less, I think I would look gaunt.
Use body-fat percentage instead of BMI if you're muscular. The BMI is good for measuring average populations and assessing health risk, but it has limitations: skinny fat people on the low end, and athletes and bodybuilders on the upper end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
140-189 lbs is the BMI recommended weight range for my height, which is absolute nonsense at the bottom of that range. It's almost like human health can't be curve fit into a quadratic equation.
It's almost like we've become so fat as a society that our perception of what constitutes a health weight is skewed. I'd wager most don't know what a healthy weight looks like anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Technically 137 puts you on the right side of "normal". This guy is 6'0'' and 140:
https://height-weight-chart.com/600-140.html

You're certainly going to look skinny, especially dudes due to muscle, but I don't think you would necessarily be unhealthy.
Pretty much exactly this; take a look at that site; once you get up to the 180 lbs mark at 6'0", the dudes kinda all start to look like they work in IT.

I maintain that body-fat percentage is a more important metric, but the problem is that it's so damned difficult to measure accurately. Bioelectrical impedance scales are generally regarded as inaccurate for singular measurement; you can use them to measure progress over a period of time, but they're not at all accurate when assessing current state. DEXA is the most accurate but requires you to pay or get your doctor to refer you and you will be subjected to a minute amount of radiation, like an x-ray. BodPod volumetric assessments are probably the best compromise at 95% accuracy and relatively low cost (2110 Fitness has them for $75 a session or $150 for three).
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #46
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Same.

I was actually wondering if anyone has tried one of those small office-treadmills.

I'm assuming it would be fine for watching, maybe a bit annoying for reading, but actually typing and stuff could be problematic unless you're walking at a snails pace?
So the company I work for sells these. To be fair we don't sell a lot of them. The one we have set up in the office was assigned to different people in 6 month segments. Although it will never help your cardio it did help most people burn about 500 calories extra a day. It is now set up as a hoteling station. I use it every once in a while on the second day after a leg workout when my legs are stiff.

Now in terms of sit/stand desks, there are only two people in the company that don't have them. I prefer a sit/stand desk to a high end office chair. For years the chair manufacturer's were always trying to nail down the perfect posture. The perfect lumbar support. However the research really shows that the best posture is the next posture. So doing the day people will change from seated to standing and back again. We even have an app that either reminds you to move or learns your habits and automatically will adjust your desk at certain times of the day.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:28 PM   #47
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's the approximate cost for F45. I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week but I need a temporary change to snap my motivation back. I've done that before with a trainer but the one I use is pricey.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM   #48
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
What's the approximate cost for F45. I go to the gym 3 to 4 times a week but I need a temporary change to snap my motivation back. I've done that before with a trainer but the one I use is pricey.
I'm on a foundation plan (I got a membership at the outset), but I think the full shot unlimited class membership is something around $250/month. You can buy a set number of classes or things like that also, and there is also a 7 day free trial.

It's infinitely more expensive than my home workouts, but worth every penny.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #49
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 02:47 PM   #50
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm on a foundation plan (I got a membership at the outset), but I think the full shot unlimited class membership is something around $250/month. You can buy a set number of classes or things like that also, and there is also a 7 day free trial.

Yeah, my gym was like $1100 for the first 6 weeks of PTs, and then $280/month. Truly skin-crawlingly expensive, but the PTs ended up being worth it as they really focused on movement during the big strength movements.

If you are looking at doing anything around squatting, deadlifting, bench, overhead, or clean jerk, I would recommend seeing a fitness coach anyway.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #51
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I started with F45 in August and it's been amazing for me. I worked out at home before and did my own thing. I was incredibly skeptical and thought I'd likely hate it and quit a month in. Instead, some huge changes took place for me!

- I thought that I would absolutely hate the structured nature. They have "classes" and you show up, the have it all set for you and you run through a circuit in 45 minutes. I didn't like that aspect...but frankly it's fantastic. Some days are more cardio and some days are strength, and the workouts are excellent.

- Part of what I didn't want to do was interact with other people. I just want to get my workout done and move along with my day...or so I thought. One of my absolute favourite things is the community. Maybe it's that we're all suffering together? Maybe it's the endorphins, but I really love this aspect and for it made something I was dreading to be a pure positive!

- I NEVER worked out as hard as this on my own. I would workout and take too long to rest, or do 3/4 of my workout and decide "that's pretty solid. Most people are doing nothing, so good job just doing this much today Slava!" When I went to the first workout I thought I might die. I realised that I'd need to workout in order to do the full workout! (It's a go at your own pace sort of thing, so you can still take extra breaks or catch your breath)

Anyway, for me it's been an enormous impact. I'm totally not connected in anyway, and don't get any benefit telling people about it aside from the fact that I think people would benefit from it. In the past 6 months or so I've dropped about 25-30 lbs of fat and added a few pounds of muscle. My cardio is miles better than where it was before and most importantly, I feel great. I've seen the same changes for other people there as well, and I really just can't recommend them enough!

Went to my first 2 F45 Classes yesterday and today. For all the same reasons as you listed I avoided group training, I'm way more introverted so I wasn't sure I'd be comfortable but I have to say I really enjoy it.

I haven't been there long enough to meet anyone but the workouts and environment are great and very welcoming. I signed up for 8 weeks after today's class and will update my progress at the end of April

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 02-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 02:49 PM   #52
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I received a price of $55/week when I signed up today. 8 week commitment and then it's week to week at that rate and can freeze membership for vacations etc.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #53
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I got waaayyyy too fat for my liking after my 2 kids. Joined one of those 40 day challenges at a gym nearby.

3 weeks in and 14lbs & 3% body fat down.

Goal weight is another 18lbs away, but can already see the change in myself. Hell one of my basketball teammates saw me for the first time in 3 weeks the other day and said "you've lost weight, and your body comp has changed - you're more muscular"

I know my weakness is motivation, so I figure going forward I am just going to do semi-private training - that way I have a couple appointments a week that I HAVE to make since I paid for them.
Sounds very similar to the program my wifes gym offers. wonder if it's the one she works at
Old 02-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #54
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ouch, am I just out of touch or is $250 normal for gym memberships.

I am lucky our office has one that is free to use.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 PM   #55
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone ever tried Spin Classes? I've heard good things.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
- I thought that I would absolutely hate the structured nature. They have "classes" and you show up, the have it all set for you and you run through a circuit in 45 minutes. I didn't like that aspect...but frankly it's fantastic. Some days are more cardio and some days are strength, and the workouts are excellent.
Is this like a boot camp?

I struggle with anything that requires dance steps, like aerobics or zumba.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #57
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I have no real idea. I didn't shop around or anything, because I got for a 5:30am class and just walk over. I would imagine there are much cheaper options, but would I actually go or just spend less and be a gym member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is this like a boot camp?

I struggle with anything that requires dance steps, like aerobics or zumba.
It's functional exercises. So normal lifting like squats, deadlifts, chest press and then things like burpees, pushing the sled, kettlebell swings and all kinds of stuff. Generally, I'd say it's a 12 station circuit and you go around them 2-3 times. It depends though, because it's different every day. I do make fun of the "functional" element because I don't regularly need to do a bear crawl or whatever.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #58
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no real idea. I didn't shop around or anything, because I got for a 5:30am class and just walk over. I would imagine there are much cheaper options, but would I actually go or just spend less and be a gym member?

It's functional exercises. So normal lifting like squats, deadlifts, chest press and then things like burpees, pushing the sled, kettlebell swings and all kinds of stuff. Generally, I'd say it's a 12 station circuit and you go around them 2-3 times. It depends though, because it's different every day. I do make fun of the "functional" element because I don't regularly need to do a bear crawl or whatever.
Yet...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:06 PM   #59
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like exercise. I'd never found anything I enjoy doing or could be motivated to do long enough or consistently. I started 9Round a couple of years ago and it works for me. I don't always love it, but it's convenient, a fixed time commitment, and the routines are different every day. In 40 minutes I do 25-30 different exercises, burn 500-600 calories, and feel great. I haven't lost weight but I've gained strength and stamina.

For losing weight the best thing ever for me was pairing a fitbit with a calorie counting app (in the case my fitness pal). Tracking your food intake makes you a little more conscious of what you're eating, and helps you hit a calorie goal to lose a bit of weight (a pound a week is reasonable). Pairing with Fitbit is genius though because the more steps you do the higher your daily calorie target gets. I could pack away 2500-3000 calories a day and still one weight as long as I was getting enough steps in. Limit reached too early, no problem, go for a walk and earn a scotch!
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #60
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

You are a very old and out of touch man, yes.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote