Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #141
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Lion King coming out I thought I would predict the top 5 movies at the domestic box office for the rest of the year.

5) Joker – If Venom can do huge numbers I see no reason why this can’t do over $200 million. Joker is the most popular and famous villain in all of comics so I’m going to say $250 million.

4) IT Chapter 2 – This is the end to one of the most popular horror films and one of the highest grossing R rated movies of all time. The hype for this film is real and I can see it grossing around $325 million.

3) Jumanji 3 Next Level – The last one was such a surprise hit grossing over $400 million in north America while competing against Star Wars. I expect Episode 9 to be better received than 8 so I don’t think it will reach the level as the 2nd one but will still do well. $350 million

2) Frozen 2 – This film is going to be huge, I think people may have been a little fatigued by all the Disney offerings this year but there is a nice break between films for that to end. Not to mention the first one was huge and I fully expect this one to top that. $500 million

1) Star Wars Episode 9 – With J.J Abrams back I fully expect this film to be a huge hit, not to mention it is the close of the trilogy. $800 million.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:45 AM   #142
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you’ve got the order pretty much right on but maybe a bit high on the grosses. Jumanji and It are both sequels to surprise hits and those have typically struggled, we’ve even seen that this year — I don’t think either will break $300M again, but they’ll still be good money maker. You’re right on with Frozen, I could see it going even higher. Episode 9 will do really well — it will need a lot better word of mouth than TLJ to hit $800M.

As for 5th, I know you’re a DC guy and very optimistic about Joker, $250M would be an amazing gross for it. Not impossible, it would need very good reviews and even Oscar hype to go that high. I could see that spot going to Hobbs & Shaw, which should push in to the $150-$200M, or other potential breakout hits for awards season that we’re not looking at as traditional hype movies.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #143
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have more faith in IT Chapter 2 to be honest but Jumanji releasing in December will certainly help it. I feel like audiences are kinda waiting for something more adult this year and IT will scratch that itch for them. Both will do well but your right will be hard for them to match their first movie grosses.

With Episode 9 I was using Episode 7 as a guide but giving recent Star Wars performances at the box office we could be looking at the $600 million range (which is still great for any other movie). I assume everyone who complained about The Last Jedi will still see this one but I never thought Solo would bomb so you just never know.

For me I was debating between Hobbs & Shaw and Joker and could go either way for that 5th spot. For me Joker got a lot of trailer views and likes and shares on Youtube and Twitter which was what swayed it for me. Plus he is such a huge draw, the last movie he was in was Suicide Squad which everyone supposedly hated yet still made insane amounts of money.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #144
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I have more faith in IT Chapter 2 to be honest but Jumanji releasing in December will certainly help it. I feel like audiences are kinda waiting for something more adult this year and IT will scratch that itch for them. Both will do well but your right will be hard for them to match their first movie grosses.

With Episode 9 I was using Episode 7 as a guide but giving recent Star Wars performances at the box office we could be looking at the $600 million range (which is still great for any other movie). I assume everyone who complained about The Last Jedi will still see this one but I never thought Solo would bomb so you just never know.

For me I was debating between Hobbs & Shaw and Joker and could go either way for that 5th spot. For me Joker got a lot of trailer views and likes and shares on Youtube and Twitter which was what swayed it for me. Plus he is such a huge draw, the last movie he was in was Suicide Squad which everyone supposedly hated yet still made insane amounts of money.

The Joker has a $55 million budget and will be opening at film festivals prior to its box office release. If a movie like that can make it to the $250 mil domestic mark (which would likely translate into an 800 or so international), that would be a massive win.

Opening in film festivals could mean they are going for a more specific audience than usual...or if the movie is good, it could create massive word of mouth.

I'm not sure movies like Suicide Squad are comparable. That was a big loud action movie aimed at a general audience. This looks like something we've never seen before, which is a comic book movie aimed at a thinking arthouse type audience. Logan might be the closest comparable, which did $226 million. So it's not unheard of for a comic book movie aimed a narrow audience to do well.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:49 PM   #145
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If a movie like that can make it to the $250 mil domestic mark (which would likely translate into an 800 or so international).
I don't think Batman has the same type of draw overseas. Things have changed, but The Dark Knight was over 50% domestic. Suicide Squad was 43.5% domestic. An arthouse noir movie like this I just don't see being a draw in the Asian markets as other blockbusters. So I think if it did bring in 250M, it'd be closer to 500M internationally.

Personally, I'm over-saturated with DC and the Joker. We've had enough takes on the Joker over the years. I'll almost certainly watch it when it gets on Netflix but I have little interest to see it in theatres. Only a super super high word of mouth would likely get me to see in theatre.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #146
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think Joker does super box office, as just not sure it’s positioned as that kind of movie. Hobbs and Shaw should exceed it easily IMO and maybe some others like Terminator or Maleficent.

Frozen and Star Wars will be closer than expected.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #147
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joker will really be a wild card. If it hits I can see this thing exploding, but with such a small budget this movie will make a lot of money for WB guaranteed.

I just have no confidence in Hobbs and Shaw personally the trailers have done nothing for me. I'm much more excited for the Terminator film, this is really their last kick at the can. If this terminator movie fails I dont see a new one coming out for a long long time.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #148
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think you're underestimating the Fast and Furious franchise. I know this is spin-off but that fanbase is fanatical and international. The last two have each made a over billion dollars overseas.

Honestly, it's the only F&F movie I've actually wanted to see. It looks funny and action packed. Competely stupid but feels like a throwback action movie.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 AM   #149
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to this site it's forecast for about $218 mill domestically but internationally I can see it exploding and doing $500 mill.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/long-ra...inch-hustlers/
Old 07-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #150
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I don't think Batman has the same type of draw overseas. Things have changed, but The Dark Knight was over 50% domestic. Suicide Squad was 43.5% domestic. An arthouse noir movie like this I just don't see being a draw in the Asian markets as other blockbusters. So I think if it did bring in 250M, it'd be closer to 500M internationally.

Personally, I'm over-saturated with DC and the Joker. We've had enough takes on the Joker over the years. I'll almost certainly watch it when it gets on Netflix but I have little interest to see it in theatres. Only a super super high word of mouth would likely get me to see in theatre.
Things have changed a lot since the Dark Knight.

Suicide Squad was banned in China. With an average Chinese performance, it would have been much closer to the 1/3 domestic we are seeing for these big movies now.

DC is very popular in Asia generally. Kids what all sorts of Batman and Superman gear there.

Edit: Just looked it up. The Dark Knight was also banned in China, and did not get a theatrical release there either.

Last edited by blankall; 07-25-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:55 AM   #151
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Things have changed a lot since the Dark Knight.

Suicide Squad was banned in China. With an average Chinese performance, it would have been much closer to the 1/3 domestic we are seeing for these big movies now.

DC is very popular in Asia generally. Kids what all sorts of Batman and Superman gear there.
Why?

I mean, clearly a good call by the Chinese Government to save its citizens from a couple hours of skull-numbing boredom but they probably missed a good Propaganda opportunity to educate their citizens on the folly of the decadent West to waste their time, money and intellectual well-being on such drivel.

But beyond the obvious, why?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #152
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why?

I mean, clearly a good call by the Chinese Government to save its citizens from a couple hours of skull-numbing boredom but they probably missed a good Propaganda opportunity to educate their citizens on the folly of the decadent West to waste their time, money and intellectual well-being on such drivel.

Because Katana's mask has the Japanese flag on it

Say what you will about the movie but it made bank at the box office and I'm pretty confident the sequel will as well.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:19 AM   #153
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Say what you will about the movie but it made bank at the box office and I'm pretty confident the sequel will as well.
I will say what I will. People spend money on stupid crap all the time and, for the millionth time, 'making bank on the box office' is not necessarily indicative of a good movie.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #154
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I will say what I will. People spend money on stupid crap all the time and, for the millionth time, 'making bank on the box office' is not necessarily indicative of a good movie.
Never said it did, but it speaks to capturing an audience at a specific point in time. The fact that it was leggier than BvS and Civil War and outsold them both on home video tells me there was an audience for this film.

2021 is going to be very interesting to see who wins the box office with both DC and Marvel bringing the noise with The Batman, Suicide Squad 2, Shang Chi, Dr. Strange 2 and Thor 4. I personally can't wait and will be at all 5 opening day.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #155
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Why?

China has recently opened up their country to outside music/movies, but they still have some pretty strict decency laws. My guess is a combination of Margo Robbie and the random violence got the movie banned. Deadpool was banned, likely for similar reasons.

They also banned Justin Beiber from performing, as he was misbehaved. They banned the new Ghostbusters movie for having too many supernatural elements. Suicide Squad had a lot of cultish/supernatural themes too, which probably didn't help.

China also generally bans any movies that have a "revolt" theme or deal with time travel. Avatar and Back to the Future are both banned. Supposedly Brad Pitt was banned for 20 years after making 7 years in Tibet.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #156
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is that being said? This is the box office thread and box office is a measure of popularity.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #157
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disney has already made more money this year than they did in all of 2016 (the previous record)...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1155548234640703488

They still have Frozen 2 and Star Wars Ep 9 to come before the end of the year.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #158
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

And Maleficent 2. They're almost certain to hit 10 billion.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #159
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people really care about Star Wars and Frozen though? Disney needs to produce Man of the House 2 if it really wants to set records.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 PM   #160
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Do people really care about Star Wars and Frozen though? Disney needs to produce Man of the House 2 if it really wants to set records.
The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again ... Again. Starring The Rock.

I was originally going to make this joke using Escape to Witch Mountain ... then I remembered that they actually did do a remake of that movie ... and it actually did star The Rock.