Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 10:06 AM   #1041
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Cybertruck "fix".

https://twitter.com/user/status/1781734760215408922
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:10 AM   #1042
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, it's riveting.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 10:18 AM   #1043
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Such a shame, that truck looked like a totally cool and totally legitimate thing driving around until that unsightly rivet got in the way.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 11:30 AM   #1044
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could bedazzle the whole thing so it doesn’t look weird.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 07:53 PM   #1045
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The r/Cybertruck subreddit is great. They're constantly looking for validation, especially when it comes to off roading

https://www.reddit.com/r/cybertruck/...road_would_be/

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/1c91jv2

These are sunday walking trails
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 08:22 AM   #1046
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Musk and top engineers are particularly bullish about a major change in how FSD now works. Cameras placed around the company’s cars are taking in video and using this footage to dictate how the vehicle drives, instead of relying on software code. Ashok Elluswamy, a director of Tesla’s Autopilot program, wrote on X last month that this should lead to “unprecedented progress.”
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-s-day-of-...-us-1851425558

Have these geniuses heard of the data truth that "garbage in=garbage out"? I've never understood this part of their strategy. Collect training data from, well, everyone, and expect the neural net to learn from it? Except that people are amoung the ####tiest drivers on the road, so it learns bad habits and poor driving. Brilliant?
Old 04-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #1047
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-s-day-of-...-us-1851425558

Have these geniuses heard of the data truth that "garbage in=garbage out"? I've never understood this part of their strategy. Collect training data from, well, everyone, and expect the neural net to learn from it? Except that people are amoung the ####tiest drivers on the road, so it learns bad habits and poor driving. Brilliant?
The part I don't understand is how they go from "taking in video and using this footage to dictate how the vehicle drives" without relying on software code.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 09:58 AM   #1048
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
The part I don't understand is how they go from "taking in video and using this footage to dictate how the vehicle drives" without relying on software code.
Essentially the computer takes in video and outputs commands based on training data. So if every driver that encounters a squirrel swerves off the road, it'll do that, too. It's still got code, but it's not hard coded such that "if squirrel is on road, keep going straight," which is the behaviour you want, but it is not longer forced. This seems good for edge case handling you would not program, but it's relying on training agents(every driver in a Tesla) to make the correct decision the majority of the time so it can do that, too. If you've been on the road with other drivers, you should see the flaw in this thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 11:10 AM   #1049
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

People are selling their spot on the wait list for a Cybertruck for 3-5k, seems crazy but I guess some have money to blow on these things
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:02 AM   #1050
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After big boss Elon Musk announced last year that Tesla was going to “try a little advertising and see how it goes,” the company’s entire growth content team in the U.S. has now been dismissed, reports Bloomberg. The move follows similar job cuts across Tesla’s design team and its Californian facilities.
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-isn-t-goi...one-1851428231

If you own any Tesla stock, now sounds like your best chance to get out of that position. Sales dropping, and you just give up on advertising after one try? Ya, ok, good luck with that.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:52 PM   #1051
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess he can justify it because they got this far without a marketing team. I don't think the demise of Tesla is imminent but it's going to be hard year over year, decade over decade to increase sales when you are offering essentially the same vehicles as consumers have been conditioned to seek out fresh new model cycles after a 3-5 year period of vehicle ownership and Tesla isn't the cool new kid on the block anymore.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:07 PM   #1052
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I guess he can justify it because they got this far without a marketing team. I don't think the demise of Tesla is imminent but it's going to be hard year over year, decade over decade to increase sales when you are offering essentially the same vehicles as consumers have been conditioned to seek out fresh new model cycles after a 3-5 year period of vehicle ownership and Tesla isn't the cool new kid on the block anymore.
Tesla had the advantage of being the only decent EV available for a long time.

Now that there are many different options out there, and from manufacturers that can put things together properly at a fairly decent rate, Tesla doesn't have any advantage any more, and won't get away with not redesigning vehicles every couple of years. Tesla has not shown that they have any ability to put out new designs regularly.

They can't get away with their design quirks/flaws/annoyances anymore, but Melon won't let them change.

And the build quality is still atrocious.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:38 AM   #1053
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought it was funny last decade when self-proclaimed technology experts on the internet would say that Tesla was so far ahead of the auto industry in technology that they would wipe out legacy automakers. I mean we are talking battery and electric motor technology here which isn't exactly rocket science. It was just a matter of legacy automakers diverting enough resources and R&D that they would manufacture much more polished EV's. Look at the new Macan EV for an example of how far legacy automakers have come in a short time. Top to bottom it pretty well blows away anything Tesla has built. Hyundai is just getting started as it's first attempts were excellent and future models will only be better. Also I feel Tesla abandoning an entry level EV was probably a big mistake as that's kind of the last chance they had at making more inroads with consumers that couldn't afford a model 3.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-24-2024 at 06:40 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #1054
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Consumers want conventional hybrids and PHEVs as those markets are growing significantly in demand right now.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:48 PM   #1055
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I’m kind of curious how sensible people ever came to own a Tesla. Was it just the EV thing? The giant infotainment/UFO dash?

The first time I sat in one and drove around everything about it just felt cheap outside of the screens. Hard to put a finger on it, but even closing the door felt cheap. I didn’t even know a door could close in a way that felt cheap, but there you go.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: