Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 AM   #301
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Oil markets crash across the Middle East as Iran follows through with their obligations and sanctions on them are lifted. Qatari and Saudi stock markets have dropped 42% and 38% respectively since the Saudi initiated price war back in November 2014.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/ir...102835505.html

I really wonder how much of the successful conclusion of the Nuclear deal with Iran was motivated to punish the Saudis for their increased production.
A CBC article on the same thing - Iran now online at an additional 500k barrels / day:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/oil-...iran-1.3408580

Last edited by calumniate; 01-18-2016 at 02:54 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #302
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ould-fall-soon

Speculation that if things continue without the dollar dropping more we will start to see production shut ins from some Oilsands producers.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #303
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

The lower we go, the faster we see production drop off a cliff, the faster price will come back to reasonable levels. Do not lose hope people, it's hard to see past the current environment because we are humans, but it's always darkest before the dawn.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #304
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think one thing missing from this analysis is hedging. I would suspect that most Companies hedged at least some of their production in order to survive the downside risk of 2016. And those that didn't hedge would have strong enough balance sheets to handle the production losses. In the SAGD space you permanently damage your production by shutting off steam.

So it likely takes until the latter part of the year with prices being where they are or lower to have production being shut in.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #305
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
The lower we go, the faster we see production drop off a cliff, the faster price will come back to reasonable levels. Do not lose hope people, it's hard to see past the current environment because we are humans, but it's always darkest before the dawn.
Lets hope the darkest isn't sub $20 like it feels like we're headed. I would have thought people would begin shutting in marginal stuff worldwide at sub $40, but here were are at $28 and it hasn't happened yet.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #306
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Lets hope the darkest isn't sub $20 like it feels like we're headed. I would have thought people would begin shutting in marginal stuff worldwide at sub $40, but here were are at $28 and it hasn't happened yet.
I think that is because of the leverage, which takes a while to unwind and is particularly messy. So its better for them to keep rolling at $28 and make the loan payment while they can in hopes of being "the one" that survives.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:18 PM   #307
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I think that is because of the leverage, which takes a while to unwind and is particularly messy. So its better for them to keep rolling at $28 and make the loan payment while they can in hopes of being "the one" that survives.
Slava is right. Banks (particularly in the US) haven't addressed this issue yet in terms of write-downs/re-structurings/calling in loans. They've been trying to push it off with the hope that prices will come back before they have to deal with it. Companies have to keep producing even though they're losing $/barrel because they have to service their debt. Something like 85-90% of free cash flow in US upstream is going toward debt service. Which is shocking and it's not sustainable.

The dominos will start falling and that's when the real recovery will start. The lower oil goes, the faster and harder this will all happen.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #308
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

With sanctions being lifted in Iran, the price is only going to go lower. Iran said that they are going to increase production regardless of price just to get their market share back.

Oil companies make up about 50% of the revenue in the firm I work for, and we are definitely feeling it. Everyone just had their hours cut down to 80%, and a few people just got laid off. They said they only expect the austerity measures for a couple of months, but I am still job hunting.

As a side, has anyone heard whether the airline companies are going to drop the fuel surcharge they added to ticket prices when the price of fuel skyrocketed?
Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #309
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was surprised to see that most borrowing base companies in town had their lines maintained during the fall review, I would have expected more downward revisions than there were.

It will be interesting to observe the spring review season once bank price decks are reflective of current prices.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #310
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
With sanctions being lifted in Iran, the price is only going to go lower. Iran said that they are going to increase production regardless of price just to get their market share back.
What if non-OPEC production falls of a cliff, 5X more than Iran's increase?

You cannot say that "price is only going to go lower" based on one variable. Way too much uncertainty.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #311
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You cannot say that "price is only going to go lower" based on one variable. Way too much uncertainty.
I'll admit. I am not an expert on the economics of oil and may have spoken out of turn. I just get the sense that increasing supply at this point isn't going to help our cause here.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #312
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I get a sense that Iran is going to flood the market, this is found money for them.

Plus it creates instability with Opec nations if they do that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #313
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'll admit. I am not an expert on the economics of oil and may have spoken out of turn. I just get the sense that increasing supply at this point isn't going to help our cause here.
Well, on the surface that could be correct, but realistically what is the benefit in flooding the market that has surplus supply already at a ridiculously low price?

Sure, its dollars coming in the door, but are those dollars profit? If the price is low it makes more sense to hold back and wait until it comes up so you can maximize the benefit of your resource.

Its the same mistake the Saudis are making. "Flood the market and gain marketshare!!!"

Great. Lots of people are buying what you're selling, just at rock-bottom prices. So you're selling lots of stuff, just not making much while you're at it.

Congratulations?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #314
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomorrow will be an interesting day to see how much Iranian oil supply has been priced in.

It's not like they haven't been selling their oil to China the entire time anyway.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #315
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Here, for all the NDP supporters who keep saying that the royalty review and uncertain policy hasn't had any effect on markets.

Quote:
But with the election of Rachel Notley’s NDP government in Alberta, then Justin Trudeau’s Liberal government in Ottawa, along with their carbon taxes and oilsands growth constraints, the U.S. company was growing increasingly nervous about Canada’s political landscape — nervous enough that it took a pass, giving Suncor a free hand to increase its bet on the oilsands.
http://business.financialpost.com/ne...-oil-sands-ltd
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #316
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

From the reports I've read, oil sands production is unlikely to see shut-ins unless WTI gets to the low $20's and stays there. Based on the average variable costs, mining projects will continue down below $10/bbl and SAGD projects could see shut-ins in the $20-30/bbl range. This is all for existing production where the fixed capital has largely been spent.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #317
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can someone explain to me what the industry term 'shut-in' really means for these different projects?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #318
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Can someone explain to me what the industry term 'shut-in' really means for these different projects?
It means to stop producing oil.

So Sagd it means turning off the steam gens and closing the producers and letting the resivoirs slowly cool and de pressurize. This makes it more difficult to regain production and may permenantly lower the total production from the well long term.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #319
WinnipegFan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I get a sense that Iran is going to flood the market, this is found money for them.

Plus it creates instability with Opec nations if they do that.
I think we may under estimate the amount of oil Iran already had in the system. They've been pumping it through Turkey for a while. This would lower the amount of actual new oil on the supply side.
WinnipegFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:19 PM   #320
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well, on the surface that could be correct, but realistically what is the benefit in flooding the market that has surplus supply already at a ridiculously low price?

Sure, its dollars coming in the door, but are those dollars profit? If the price is low it makes more sense to hold back and wait until it comes up so you can maximize the benefit of your resource.

Its the same mistake the Saudis are making. "Flood the market and gain marketshare!!!"

Great. Lots of people are buying what you're selling, just at rock-bottom prices. So you're selling lots of stuff, just not making much while you're at it.

Congratulations?
Amazon strategy. Lose money, but make up for it in volume!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote