Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #21
Scimitar
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
What kind of LTE does it have? No sense in buying a LTE capable phone that can't do LTE on the 2100mhz frequency everyone currently uses, and won't be able to also do LTE on the 700mhz bands once it launches all over Canada. My S3 can do both.
Looks like it has both: http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_one-6327.php Very tempting...
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #22
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

New CM site.

http://cyngn.com/products/oneplusone/
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #23
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This phone just looks so awesome.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:42 PM   #24
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm afraid Oppo isn't going to be able to meet demand for this phone. There is no way they'll be able to actually be able to produce enough given it's price and hype. They are still having problems distributing the Find 7 and with the price of the One the demand will be nuts. It's probably the reason behind this whole invite system in the first place.

Even though a website is up, I doubt we'll actually be able to get it till at least a month and half after general availability in July.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #25
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confirmed... GA in July if you are not on an invite list earlier than that. Don't expect to get one easily before then

Quote:
Our production schedule is as follows:
Ready now - 100 for phone smashers
Mid to late May - Larger batch 16GB Silk White for the first batch of invites
Early June - Larger batch 64GB Sandstone Black
Later in June - Increased general availability, people who want it should be able to get an invite without much trouble in June
Source
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #26
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only downside I see for this phone:
- not being able to remove/swap the battery
- not being able to insert expandable memory (micro SD)
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #27
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Which is the case right now in my Nexus 5 and I haven't missed either.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #28
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With the phone running Cyanogen Mod instead of Google's Android, does any one know how software updates will work? Is there still access to the Play Store? Also, is the phone rooted by default?
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:59 PM   #29
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
All I have found is I keep less crap.
32 gigs is plenty. Did find the battery wanting. If I play Tappedout all day I run out of juice .Bought a car charger. Problem solved.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #30
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Choy View Post
With the phone running Cyanogen Mod instead of Google's Android, does any one know how software updates will work? Is there still access to the Play Store? Also, is the phone rooted by default?

The version on the One is slightly different than what is widely available now. Not by much from understanding but slightly. Updates can be manual or automatic and you can do that now. Playstore is built right in just like anything else, no flashing Gapps.

I am interested in the rooted part as I want to run CM again on my N5 but I cannot have root do to corporate email restrictions. I think I will ask them.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 PM   #31
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I would not like the removable battery but it hasn't been a big deal at all.

I have found the cloud to be more useful than I thought. I don't keep anything local anymore it doesn't take up a data, not as much as I thought it would.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:35 AM   #32
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that is just it. Critical good design can't meet critical demand. Hopefully a bigger company can step in at this point.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:47 PM   #33
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Here's a decent review of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrgGHAab9D8

Put myself on the invite list to buy it, think it may be worth it to give it a shot! unless Google makes an announcement soon for the new Nexus phone.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't be so sure about the next Nexus. Evleaks, which is reliably as they come for tech news, says the silver program is going to take over.

It's good low cost high quality solutions from the likes of Oneplus, Motorola, Xiaomi, etc are starting to make their way into mainstream markets so we have an alternative for lower cost high spec devices.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #35
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Techcrunch review. Do want... sadly they aren't even at release yet for another month and it's really just a limited beta release for all intents and purposes.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/20/one...by-a-newcomer/
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 PM   #36
CrunchBite
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's the best way to get on the invite list?
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #37
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I finally managed to get my greasy little hands on a one of these phones after waiting awhile. I got the 64GB sandstone edition and have been playing around with it for the past week. The phone itself is built very well and it feels amazing considering how much cheaper this is compared to the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the S5. All this especially given the price of the thing $430 after tax+shipping and currency conversion.

Design: Phone is very well built and does have a bit of heft to it. Feels very solid and comfortable. The textured back and the metal trim actually give it a very premium feel relative to other phones I use. Much more of a premium feel than the Nexus 5 and Samsung GS5. Its extremely comfortable to use though is a bit big for my hands at 5.5" given I came from a Nexus 5.

Display: Very responsive and great viewing angles so far. Touch screen was responsive during the entire time I've used it. Colours on this thing are amazing.

Sound: The dual speakers on this thing are great relative to other cell phones. Love the Cyanogenmod AudioFX feature that allows you to tune how much treble, bass, etc there is as well as set different audio profiles.

Voice/Phone quality: Three microphones work as advertised and in the calls I've been it everything has come through quite well. Only issue is the "Okay Google" Google now feature is practically unusable because it only works on the bottom mike due to a software bug.

Battery life: Too early to tell but it seems quite a bit better than my Nexus 5. Only dropped 28% or so over a works day of use yesterday with fairly heavy use and high screen on time.

Cyanogenmod: Everything is stable on the release aside from a bug or two related to the mike. Love the customization options over the Nexus at the moment. Complaint so far is the broken Google Now feature, removal of the always listening voice wake feature (due to it being buggy) and the launcher not being able to easily access Google Now via swipe left like on Nexus devices.

Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 09-02-2014 at 05:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #38
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I think that is just it. Critical good design can't meet critical demand. Hopefully a bigger company can step in at this point.
For a nine month old company they're doing alright. Hopefully they can pump out more units soon. I can't imagine designing, building something like this in less than six months let alone trying to get all the materials contracts and getting distribution in place across 16 countries. It's amazing this thing didn't crash and burn considering materials lead times are 3 months on an order for LCDs for example.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #39
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want one bad now. Every major developer is raving over the thing, haven't seen a negative review yet.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #40
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Are these ever going to be available to actually buy? Seems more like smoke and mirrors so far than an actual industry changing phone
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: