Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default The Google Nexus Thread

Figured this would be a good place to talk about upcoming Google devices. The Android thread has become filled with talk of rooting and all that stuff that doesn't interest me all that much. Thought we needed a stand alone thread for the Nexus brand of phones and tablets Google is releasing.

First news of the thread.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/10/21/go...er-29th-event/

On October 29th Google is having an announcement.

Rumors are swirling that the LG Nexus 4 will be the new Nexus smartphone to be released.
Quote:
The leaks have been 100% correct. LG will produce the “Nexus 4″ and launch with the following specs: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon processor, 4.7-inch display with a resolution of 1280 x 768, 2GB RAM, 16GB storage (previous reports pointed towards 8GB), 8MP and 1.3MP front-facing, and a 2,100mAh battery, plus will also have Android OS 4.2.
Tablet and OS news
Quote:
Google will unveil the 32GB version of the Nexus 7 tablet, plus also introduce a 32GB HSPA+ model – this was a one time rumour. No word on pricing for the HSPA+, but we reported earlier this week that the 32GB version will be priced at $269 (CDN) outright. Next is the rumoured 10-inch Nexus tablet that will be produced by Samsung and Google. The report indicated that this is true, currently going by the codename of “Codename Manta,” but might be called the “Nexus 10″ when it’s officially launched. Probably the best news is that the Samsung/Google Nexus tablet will come with OS 4.2 “Key Lime Pie” and will have a 10-inch display with a resolution of 2560 × 1600.
I personally own a Nexus S smartphone. I really love this phone, it is running the current Android OS 4.1.2 but it is coming up on two years old and I recently cracked the screen so I'll either be looking at the new Nexus 4 or seeing what the price drop on the Galaxy Nexus is. I've been looking at a device like the Samsung s3 but I really do prefer the pure Android experience then another companies overlay on the OS.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 11-03-2013 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Over moderation
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully there will more than just the Nexus made by LG, because I'm not buying an LG phone under any circumstance. My Galaxy Nexus is fine but I'm looking to upgrade. If there's no Samsung/HTC Nexus then I'll buy a GS3.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

But but... Nexus means more ROMs! :P

Looks like the Nexus 10 will be the show hardware wise but going to be disappointed if there really won't be another HTC Nexus.. Some of the most gorgeous hardware with no serious flaw other than lack of marketing.

Otherwise, looks like the Note 2 for me.

Also, hoping that this is the start of even more devices being sold through Google Play.

Last edited by Anduril; 10-22-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

First of all, thank you for making this thread!

Second: Here is a cool video. I plan on doing this with my Nexus, when I get it. (whenever Telus gets them).

Third: Here are some good links to check out:

RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #5
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope that the next line of Nexus phone with have expandable memory.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really hoping that Motorola releases a Nexus this time around. Hopefully there will be several manufacturers. I am just not a fan of LG phones.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I am really hoping that Motorola releases a Nexus this time around. Hopefully there will be several manufacturers. I am just not a fan of LG phones.
Yeah, they've stepped it up with the new RAZR HD. Incredible battery life and to have a MAXX version with 3,300mAh... That needs to be part of phones in general.

If only they would fix their crappy cameras though.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I have a nexus 7... what's the best method for listening to music on it without using up all of my storage space?
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Baxter Renegade
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus the day it was released and absolutely love this phone, its powerful and sexy.

I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, and quite like it too... The one thing I wish it had however, is the ability to print (only compatible with certain Samsung printers) and I wish it had some form of useable office software available.

How is the Nexus tablet? Does it feature good printing/scan capabilities and does it have a good office suite compatible with Microsoft Office?
Baxter Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter Renegade View Post
I bought the Samsung Galaxy Nexus the day it was released and absolutely love this phone, its powerful and sexy.

I also own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, and quite like it too... The one thing I wish it had however, is the ability to print (only compatible with certain Samsung printers) and I wish it had some form of useable office software available.

How is the Nexus tablet? Does it feature good printing/scan capabilities and does it have a good office suite compatible with Microsoft Office?
Are you not able to set up your printing with CloudPrint? It does tie into your 2nd question for the Nexus as I've found using cloud print to work well enough for me. Office apps wise, I quite like OfficeSuite Pro. Most of them do cost a pretty penny when not on the special sales, but kingsoft is another office app that I've heard pretty good things about and is free. Just never bothered since I paid for Office Suite.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Any reason why?

Figure i'll go with the LG Nexus or the Galaxy Nexus next.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I need to upgrade my phone soon but TELUS doesn't have a Nexus phone as far as I can tell and I don't want to switch to Rogers or Bell, but does it really matter?

The Sony SG3 seems to get great reviews and is considered the best smartphone for Android... so doesn't that mean it's overcome the disadvantages of having pre loaded sony stuff?
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #13
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I am also a big fan of Motorola phones. I would think with Google owning the company, their upcoming phones would be stock Android.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR_Six View Post
So I have a nexus 7... what's the best method for listening to music on it without using up all of my storage space?
If you're on wifi when you listen, use Google Music.

Follow this guide and you can upload up to 20,000 songs to the cloud, and access it from your tablet, phone or computer. I use it on my iPhone as well with a 3rd party app.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #15
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
I need to upgrade my phone soon but TELUS doesn't have a Nexus phone as far as I can tell and I don't want to switch to Rogers or Bell, but does it really matter?

The Sony SG3 seems to get great reviews and is considered the best smartphone for Android... so doesn't that mean it's overcome the disadvantages of having pre loaded sony stuff?
Sony themes their phones the least of any manufacturer from what i've seen, so you'll get as close to stock Android as you can without buying a Nexus
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you're in the US, and on Verizon, they just started selling factory refurbed GNex's for $230 Off-contract. This seems perfect for me, since I can't buy subsidized phones and maintain my unlimited data. I'll probably be cautiously doing this, to make sure they don't try to throw me onto a tiered plan.

http://phandroid.com/2012/10/22/veri...arranty-deals/
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #17
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Any reason why?

Figure i'll go with the LG Nexus or the Galaxy Nexus next.

I'm also curious as to the hate for LG. I'm in the same boat as Mastodon but I figure I'll go straight to the LG Nexus (sim unlocked) unless I hear something more substantive about multiple simultaneous Nexus partners with phones releasing in the near future. I'm desperate for a new phone, I'm back to Froyo for the time being.
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Sony themes their phones the least of any manufacturer from what i've seen, so you'll get as close to stock Android as you can without buying a Nexus
What? I find that to be a little unbelievable. Sony is right up there in being guilty of doing some heavy work with their portion of Android.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/27/go...-manufacturer/

Granted, I find them to be tasteful and enjoyable, along with HTC's sense.
Manufacturers who would be closest to stock is definitely Motorola and Asus (not much of a North American phone provider)

LG's had a terrible reputation of being a huge disappointment when it comes to following up their devices with updates. They've stepped into the lead with some of their hardware specs before (Optimus 2X is one) but never really supported any of their devices.

It's been so bad that you see some people being skepticle of the LG name even though it'll be a (hopefully true) Nexus. We'll see since the hardware looks to be pretty impressive again and if Google can make up for LG's failings
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #19
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be looking hard at the Nexus phone(s) that turn up in the next little while. Need something to replace my 3gs and I just can't turn to an iPhone 5. Apple lost me as a customer when they decided to pretty much brick 3gs users with iOS5.

My Nexus 7 has been great and i'm looking for the same experience from the new line of phones. I'll likely be switching to Wind as well. Can't wait to drop Fido.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
What? I find that to be a little unbelievable. Sony is right up there in being guilty of doing some heavy work with their portion of Android.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/27/go...-manufacturer/

Granted, I find them to be tasteful and enjoyable, along with HTC's sense.
Manufacturers who would be closest to stock is definitely Motorola and Asus (not much of a North American phone provider)

LG's had a terrible reputation of being a huge disappointment when it comes to following up their devices with updates. They've stepped into the lead with some of their hardware specs before (Optimus 2X is one) but never really supported any of their devices.

It's been so bad that you see some people being skepticle of the LG name even though it'll be a (hopefully true) Nexus. We'll see since the hardware looks to be pretty impressive again and if Google can make up for LG's failings
um, you may want to re-read that article you posted. it states that Sony adds more code to Android itself than any other manufacturer, as in the base operating system, not their own custom designs. that's why they're usually one of the first ones to upgrade their devices to new releases, and why they don't go crazy with themeing their phones

remember that Android is open source, anyone can contribute to it. even on your Nexus, a lot of what you see is due in part to Sony's work. and that's also why you have some very prominent Android developers (like codeworkx) jumping ship from Samsung devices and buying Sony. they release their sourcecode to the public, which Samsung hasn't done for quite awhile. i'm looking at the Xperia T as a possible upgrade when my contract is done
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote