Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #2061
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Speaking of Sim City 4, I saw it on steam today 75% off. Think that would be $4.99

Edit: Yep, Sims 4 Deluxe Edition is $4.99 right now on steam
Well how about that. When I checked earlier, it was $20.

Get it while it's hot, zukes! For only 5 bucks, you can just buy Sim City 5 later if you really want it.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:14 PM   #2062
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

SimCity 2000 is free on Origin. Screw those idiots in 4 who can't figure out how to get to work.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM   #2063
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Thanks for the PM Stealth, unfortunately, I bought it about an hour before for $20.00. Ugh. Oh well, it's $20. I saved more than that in beer money since the Knights game was snowed out due to Kitchener not being able to get to London (401 closed) last night.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #2064
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping this was a bump because they've announced a simcity 6. Not that I would have any faith in it, but still...my interest would be piqued.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #2065
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I was hoping this was a bump because they've announced a simcity 6. Not that I would have any faith in it, but still...my interest would be piqued.
5 sullied the brand so bad that you might not see another game under the Sim City name. It will be many years at least before they dare try again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #2066
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if this was posted but this looks promising and because it's a small development team (I assume), my expectations will be unable to crush my soul like Simfeces 5 did:

http://www.citiesskylines.com/

Last edited by sketchyt; 01-08-2015 at 03:04 PM.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #2067
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Not sure if this was posted but this looks promising and because it's a small development team (I assume), my expectations will be unable to crush my soul like Simfeces 5 did:
http://www.citiesskylines.com/
I tried CitiesXL 2014 and I found I missed some of the depth of the Sim City 4 simulation. But given that Sim City 5 disappointed so badly, I'll give it another go.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #2068
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cities XXL is on preorder for 20% off right now. 50% off if you own one of the previous Cities games.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #2069
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a follow up to my comment above - it turns out Cities XXL and Cities: Skylines are actually made by different developers entirely and aren't related to each other. So my experience with Cities XL really gives me no basis for skepticism with respect to Cities: Skylines.

Also, after watching some of the YouTube videos the developer released for it, WOW. I'm sold.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #2070
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Just a follow up to my comment above - it turns out Cities XXL and Cities: Skylines are actually made by different developers entirely and aren't related to each other. So my experience with Cities XL really gives me no basis for skepticism with respect to Cities: Skylines.

Also, after watching some of the YouTube videos the developer released for it, WOW. I'm sold.
I don't even look at any promo videos for games anymore, I've become so bitter over the years with companies deceiving and lying to consumers trying to hook as many pre-orders as possible that I just assume every promo video is made up now. I'll believe that someone can actually make a good city sim game again when I see it in action
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #2071
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't even look at any promo videos for games anymore, I've become so bitter over the years with companies deceiving and lying to consumers trying to hook as many pre-orders as possible that I just assume every promo video is made up now. I'll believe that someone can actually make a good city sim game again when I see it in action
I don't blame you, I'd be the same way too with some of the disappointments I've seen.

But this is a little different than your normal 'promo' video. Lots of transparency in how the game is progressing through its various builds. Wait until the video ends and you can click on part 2 and so on.

The depth and attention to detail is really what is driving it for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #2072
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I don't blame you, I'd be the same way too with some of the disappointments I've seen.

But this is a little different than your normal 'promo' video. Lots of transparency in how the game is progressing through its various builds. Wait until the video ends and you can click on part 2 and so on.

The depth and attention to detail is really what is driving it for me.
im also quite excited thanks for posting this, i had no idea this game existed
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #2073
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Fact that Paradox is attaching its name to this gives me a lot of hope. I any of you have tried their other games (Crusader kings II and Europa Universalis IV) you will know that attention to detail to a fault is their strength. This gives me high hopes now.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #2074
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just spent an hour watching those videos, and this game looks amazing so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 10:04 PM   #2075
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

As a result of this thread being bumped, I checked out the SimCity 5 webpage yesterday and see that you can now try a demo of the full game. Cool, I wanted to buy the game in the first place but didn't because of the reviews. Its been a few years, maybe the patches have helped.

I have to sign up for an origin account, OK that's fine too, and download the game, then install, then it patches itself. This takes about a half hour plus, and I have BB100 and a fast computer. Fine.

Load the game up. Play the tutorial, takes about 20 minutes. Shut the game down, bed time.

The demo gives you 4 hours of play time, I had lots left to see if I'd buy the game.

The next day, I try to open the game, guess what? Game time expired!

Its possible I left Origin open but I know SimCity was shut down. Somehow the other 3 plus hours of game time evaportated, maybe in the background.

I spent more time installing and updating than playing, and the tutorial was painful. I'm so glad I generally refuse to buy EA games anymore.

EDIT: I will be wanting to try this Cities Skyline game it looks great.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:59 AM   #2076
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone tried the Simcity Buildit game for IOS? Been playing for a few weeks and its kinda fun as long as you are patient and don't try to rush things too much.
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #2077
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Anyone tried the Simcity Buildit game for IOS? Been playing for a few weeks and its kinda fun as long as you are patient and don't try to rush things too much.
The reviews in the app store for it are horrible. Thousands of people complaining that the game is impossible to play without paying. I have never tried it personally, as I just assumed it was another steaming pile of EA crap.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #2078
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
The reviews in the app store for it are horrible. Thousands of people complaining that the game is impossible to play without paying. I have never tried it personally, as I just assumed it was another steaming pile of EA crap.
Like Top Shelf has said it takes patience. It's a good game that you sing into for 5-10 minutes every few hours. Good for bathroom breaks at work actually.

It's not a game that you'll sit and play for hours on end as not much happens while you "build" materials other than browsing the trade store and selling items.