Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-21-2013, 06:36 PM   #881
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Wouldn't count on it. They haven't done that with ME2 either. EA will keep charging the full amount for the DLC.
Hell, they haven't done it with ME1. Hence why I detest them.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #882
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i wonder how many previous hardcore Mass Effect fans like myself haven't touched any of the DLC for ME3 after hating the ending so much. i don't see any point in buying any DLC, none of them continue the story at all or try to fix how badly Bioware screwed up the ending. i bought the DLC for ME1 and ME2 immediately when they came out, but haven't even thought about doing a second playthrough for ME3. it would be interesting to see the sales figures for DLC between the 3 games
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #883
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm quite simply too huge a fan of the series not to get excited about this. I haven't played any of the ME3 multiplayer but I do quite look forward to giving the Citadel content a go. Omega and Leviathan aren't too bad.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #884
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i wonder how many previous hardcore Mass Effect fans like myself haven't touched any of the DLC for ME3 after hating the ending so much. i don't see any point in buying any DLC, none of them continue the story at all or try to fix how badly Bioware screwed up the ending. i bought the DLC for ME1 and ME2 immediately when they came out, but haven't even thought about doing a second playthrough for ME3. it would be interesting to see the sales figures for DLC between the 3 games
I'm pretty much in the same boat, I'm over the endings, they frakked up and aren't going to fix them...whatever, but this DLC specifically? What's the point? There is a conspiracy against you! Don't worry about it, you'll be dead soon anyway! Gamble while the Earth burns! Furnish an apartment which is going to be destroyed in a few hours, get some lovin' time with someone you'll never see again, it just seems pointless. I bought the Leviathan DLC because I had leftover BW points, I haven't touched it, I didn't bother with Omega either.

The only way this DLC would make any sense is if it occurs post-ending, but it's already been said that it doesn't, unless Bioware is trying to pull a fast one on us.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #885
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's funny because before ME3 released I went out and picked up a couple MS point cards with the intention of spending them entirely on ME3 DLC. I haven't even purchased one piece of additional content for the game. I also haven't even replayed the game since I beat it. That's pretty huge considering the number of times I replayed ME1 and 2.

I am sort of in the same boat as Luder. I hated the ending but I am long over it. With the first two games I was excited to play anything Mass Effect related because I was so interested in how it would effect the final installment. There was this great sense of mystery following the second game and I thought a lot about how my choices (as well intentioned or short sighted as they may have been) might come back to haunt me.

I was lead to believe that there would be so many different types of endings based on what you had done over the course of three games. Unfortunately, nothing you did in the previous games really mattered and nothing you do in the third game, DLC or otherwise, will provide more ending possibilities. For me, it's simply a missed opportunity on Bioware's part. If ME3 had dozens of different endings and new ones as the result of DLC actions this game would have had a ton of replayability.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #886
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
It's funny because before ME3 released I went out and picked up a couple MS point cards with the intention of spending them entirely on ME3 DLC. I haven't even purchased one piece of additional content for the game. I also haven't even replayed the game since I beat it. That's pretty huge considering the number of times I replayed ME1 and 2.

I am sort of in the same boat as Luder. I hated the ending but I am long over it. With the first two games I was excited to play anything Mass Effect related because I was so interested in how it would effect the final installment. There was this great sense of mystery following the second game and I thought a lot about how my choices (as well intentioned or short sighted as they may have been) might come back to haunt me.

I was lead to believe that there would be so many different types of endings based on what you had done over the course of three games. Unfortunately, nothing you did in the previous games really mattered and nothing you do in the third game, DLC or otherwise, will provide more ending possibilities. For me, it's simply a missed opportunity on Bioware's part. If ME3 had dozens of different endings and new ones as the result of DLC actions this game would have had a ton of replayability.
yep, it was a total bait and switch. Bioware specifically said during development of the entire trilogy that your actions would determine the outcome of the story. that's what got me so excited for the series and why i had so many playthroughs for ME1 and 2. then i play ME3, find out that Bioware flat out lied, and now my desire to play anything related to Mass Effect is zero

not only have they lost the money i would have gladly forked over for DLC had they kept their word, they've lost a potential life long customer. after ME3 and Dragon Age 2, i'll never give Bioware another cent
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #887
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
yep, it was a total bait and switch. Bioware specifically said during development of the entire trilogy that your actions would determine the outcome of the story. that's what got me so excited for the series and why i had so many playthroughs for ME1 and 2. then i play ME3, find out that Bioware flat out lied, and now my desire to play anything related to Mass Effect is zero

not only have they lost the money i would have gladly forked over for DLC had they kept their word, they've lost a potential life long customer. after ME3 and Dragon Age 2, i'll never give Bioware another cent
I wouldn't say that they've lost a life long customer because the game was still good. What I find most disappointing is that Bioware had the opportunity to do something never done before in the history of video games but ultimately failed.

The idea of endings being directly influence by choices spanning three separate games would have been revolutionary in terms of RPG story telling. How many times would someone go back and play through each game, making different combinations of choices to see how that could possible alter the narrative? There could have been an amazing opportunity for players to experience the consequences of their actions and play through exclusive missions and achieve a variety of different endings. In the end there never really was any choice. It was all an illusion of choice the entire time and that is what I find the most disappointing about the series.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #888
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Considering this kind of post is made every time a new DLC has been announced, I'm guessing your first question is easily answered.

There is clearly two groups of people looking at this, and I assume every time Mass Effect is brought up for all eternity, you'll get the people who are excited for anything that continues the story, and and you'll get the people who will recount their horrible experience with the ending.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #889
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bought leviathan when it went in sale a few months ago. I still aren't even touched it.

The ending really did ruin the game for me. I wanted to pla Leviathan, but then I remember the ending and all my passion is gone.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #890
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spent hundreds of hours on this series, having played through the first two games multiple times and went out of my way to complete every side mission in the third in my first play through. Carried one character throughout, and spent a long time with the face generator in the third game, which didn't automatically generate your character, to get the look as close as possible because I'd become attached to my Shepard. So I invested a lot in the games. I say that so that to provide myself as much credibility as possible when I say that, while I was underwhelmed and disappointed in the ending to the trilogy, I find the total furor and outrage characterizing some people's responses a tad ridiculous.

I haven't done any of the DLCs yet because I wanted to wait until they were all out so I could do a second playthrough of the complete game. Looks like that'll be soon.

Last edited by Mike F; 02-22-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #891
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trailer up, releases tomorrow.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #892
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does the DLC take place before the end of the game? I assume since I'm dead and all.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #893
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Does the DLC take place before the end of the game? I assume since I'm dead and all.
They have posted at Bioware that it can be done after the Citadel Coup attempt and before the attack on Cronos Station.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #894
KOgear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Spent so much time on mass effect 3, that I just have to play that DLC. A goodbye to all the comrades you've battled with seems pretty cool. I will not finish the rest of ME3 though. I know there was a levithan added in one of the dlc's, are there any other characters? Just want as many of them firing on enemies I've Pulled into mid air.
KOgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #895
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgear View Post
Spent so much time on mass effect 3, that I just have to play that DLC. A goodbye to all the comrades you've battled with seems pretty cool. I will not finish the rest of ME3 though. I know there was a levithan added in one of the dlc's, are there any other characters? Just want as many of them firing on enemies I've Pulled into mid air.
I doubt that anything from Leviathan or Omega will be mentioned in the Citadel DLC. Leviathan didn't add any new squad mates, if that's what you're referring to. Omega added a couple temporary squad members, most notably Aria.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:23 AM   #896
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Citadel DLC's pretty bizarre in comparison to previous content, and features some pretty hilarious moments for fans of the series (be sure to listen out for all of the dialogue).
Old 03-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #897
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
The Citadel DLC's pretty bizarre in comparison to previous content, and features some pretty hilarious moments for fans of the series (be sure to listen out for all of the dialogue).
Agreed, it was actually very enjoyable, in the end, the Mass Effect series came down to the characters, and although I found most of this DLC to be shameless "fan service", the banter and situations with squad mates was very well done. Some of the conversations are absolutely hilarious, Grunt at the party, Traynor's tooth brush, I could go on and on.

I've heard people compare this DLC to a dream, everything is going great, yet there is always something, just a little bit off that doesn't make it seem real. In a way, I think it was Bioware's way of giving a happy ending to those who wanted a happy ending, without actually changing the ending, if you play the DLC after you've completed the game.

Just for laughs, if you didn't romance anyone in the trilogy:

Spoiler!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #898
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't played through all of the content yet, but I have to agree that Citadel is really funny and has a nice energy to it. At the same time, the fights were pretty intense on insanity, which was nice too. I thought the final fight was done surprisingly well. Seemed like the balance was right.

It's a shame I missed a lot of the banter during the fights because they were intense and I don't have subtitles on. They've put in a ton of that into the DLC. Lots of multiplayer humor in the new Citadel strip's overheard conversations, and hilarious encounters with the squadmates.

They really went for a loose, fun experience that will make fans smile, and it worked, but the action is good too.

If someone is considering buying the DLC, I would say that Leviathan and Citadel are the ones everyone should get. Omega I found more mediocre. It's okay, but if you're looking to save money, that's the one I would skip.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #899
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I was really impressed with Citadel. Definitely my favorite DLC of them all. There were so many hilarious lines through the entire thing, and the party was just awesome. It was nice to see Bioware loosen up and have fun with it. Definitely recommended to everyone!