Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #81
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

^
We didn’t actually learn anything new. The playoffs have always been like this: underdogs win; favourites lose; teams peaking at the right time go far while those who didn’t don’t.

There is a tonne of randomness in NHL playoff hockey. For the Flames, this year’s results will almost certainly not have much of an effect on what happens next year, or the year after that. The Flames were one of the best teams by every significant measure in the regular season. If they come close to repeating that performance they will rightly be regarded a “contender” in the post season.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #82
DazzlinDino
First Line Centre
 
DazzlinDino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Grew up in Calgary now living in USA
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
What I learned watching the playoffs is that the Flames are nowhere near being a contender. There needs to be serious changes to how their team is built.
Serious might be a strong word, no?

I don't think we are that far off. I do think we need to add a couple key players, absolutely! Some obvious improvements from last season shows we are trending in the right direction. In this case failure can be used as a measuring guide; We know we need better goaltending and that certain players didn't bring it all season, and that some players made progress while others not so much. Last season was one "significant" step and a learning curve. Now we just need to identify whats needed to take it to the next level.

Neal on the other hand shame on him, he got paid to take a spot, teased us all season then didn't show up for the dance.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

I have learned that only one team will win the cup and fans of the other 15 teams that failed in the playoffs will seriously over-analyze why their team failed to advance or win the cup. The Flames finished 2nd overall over an 82 game season which is telling they are a very good hockey team. One of the best in the league in fact. One does not make "serious" or sweeping changes to a young team that has ascended to one of the best in the league. A smart GM evaluates everything from management, scouting, coaching, players, etc as he does every season and continues making improvements as deemed necessary as it's that process that led them to being the 2nd best team in the regular season. It really is a process that requires a long term vision when a young team finally arrives. The worst thing a GM could do is overreact to losing a playoff series which is a very small sample size.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-05-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #84
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Yup - the biggest learning every year from the playoffs is that the best bet of winning the cup is by having a team that consistently finishes in the top 10 in the regular season.

Playoffs are hard to predict and are very random. Different styles can win year to year, so the best chance you have is by consistently getting to the dance.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #85
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player
 
ForeverFlameFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Exp:
Default

What I've learned? It's all about luck and pure will/drive to win. The Blues and Bruins had these qualities.

Where are the Flames if they scored one of the OT goals against Colorado? What if we scored both? We had a great opportunity to close it out in both OT games but didn't. If we're up 3-2 in the series I think we would have won. We were just simply outcoached.

What the Flames need is more playoff experience. That would require us to get past the round 1 hump and then some. Hopefully next year we can get to round 2 or even round 3. The cup is always the goal but for me I at least want these guys getting 12-18 games more of playoff experience. It would go a long way.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:16 AM   #86
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Yeah Peter's really should have buried those glorious OT chances
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #87
Strange Brew
Franchise Player
 
Strange Brew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Exp:
Default

I really want to see if the team replicate its regular season success. Teams that consistently perform well over multiple regular seasons generally come to have at least some playoff success. Winning it all of course is far from a guarantee.

IMO this team has something to prove during the next regular season. You don't have to look too hard for teams that have had one excellent season only to quickly fall by the wayside. Another season like this one, and there should be little doubt this is a very good team that should be on the path to success.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #88
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah Peter's really should have buried those glorious OT chances
That really confused me too. Maybe the two sentences were not mean to be related to each other.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:33 PM   #89
Brick
First Line Centre
 
Brick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have learned that only one team will win the cup and fans of the other 15 teams that failed in the playoffs will seriously over-analyze why their team failed to advance or win the cup. The Flames finished 2nd overall over an 82 game season which is telling they are a very good hockey team. One of the best in the league in fact. One does not make "serious" or sweeping changes to a young team that has ascended to one of the best in the league. A smart GM evaluates everything from management, scouting, coaching, players, etc as he does every season and continues making improvements as deemed necessary as it's that process that led them to being the 2nd best team in the regular season. It really is a process that requires a long term vision when a young team finally arrives. The worst thing a GM could do is overreact to losing a playoff series which is a very small sample size.
You would be right except for the fact that this version of the Flames is too slow, too small, and much too soft to have any success in the playoffs.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #90
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully
 
Textcritic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: back in Chilliwack
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
You would be right except for the fact that this version of the Flames is too slow, too small, and much too soft to have any success in the playoffs.
"Too small and soft" are highly impressionable and subjective—especially considering that the slightly smaller and marginally heavier Boston Bruins are presently two wins away from the Stanley Cup. The Flames are not "too slow": there are varieties of reasons why they appeared consistently slower in the playoffs than Colorado, but given how well they played with pace and controlled the puck during the regular season it would seem to me that their post-season failures were most likely psychological than physical. To me, it looked like the Avalanche seized momentum, and the Flames could never wrest it back despite holding leads at late stages in three of the first four games.
__________________
Dealing with Everything from Dead Sea Scrolls to Red C Trolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #91
GioforPM
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Springbank
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
"Too small and soft" are highly impressionable and subjective—especially considering that the slightly smaller and marginally heavier Boston Bruins are presently two wins away from the Stanley Cup. The Flames are not "too slow": there are varieties of reasons why they appeared consistently slower in the playoffs than Colorado, but given how well they played with pace and controlled the puck during the regular season it would seem to me that their post-season failures were most likely psychological than physical. To me, it looked like the Avalanche seized momentum, and the Flames could never wrest it back despite holding leads at late stages in three of the first four games.
There were only 4 regular Flames skaters under 6 feet last year. Two of them were Ryan and Mangiapane, who aren't soft. Now of the rest, you can say Monahan, Brodie, Janko and often Neal play with little or no edge. Backlund can let that side of things get away. So can Frolik. I don't think a major change is needed to get the edginess level cranked up a bit. We know Neal can be snarlier. And I've seen Backlund play a gritty game.

Maybe Monahan has to be in a fight and not get pummeled. Get his confidence in his size going.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:05 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016